Help with one sentence in Why Michigan? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
djeter2

New

Help with one sentence in Why Michigan?

Post by djeter2 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:29 pm

I am pretty sure I need to have a colon at the end of the below sentence, but I would like some confirmation. Thanks for your help!

I am particularly interested in participating in Michigan’s General Practice Clinic, which would allow me to work on a variety of legal cases, including those related to my special interest: landlord-tenant law.

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Help with one sentence in Why Michigan?

Post by Tanicius » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:13 pm

A comma seems better.

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:25 am

I would drop particularly because the position of that word and interested should be swapped. But then it would kinda conflict with the "in participating." As for the sentence. I'd break it up.

I am interested in participating in Michigan’s General Practice Clinic. The Clinic would provide an opportunity to work on a variety of legal cases, including those related to my special interest--landlord-tenant law.

The dash after "interest" is the preferred method here. Word will edit the dash once you type it in. It gives a streamlined look.

RockinJosh

New

Post by RockinJosh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I would drop particularly because the position of that word and interested should be swapped. But then it would kinda conflict with the "in participating." As for the sentence. I'd break it up.

I am interested in participating in Michigan’s General Practice Clinic. The Clinic would provide an opportunity to work on a variety of legal cases, including those related to my special interest--landlord-tenant law.

The dash after "interest" is the preferred method here. Word will edit the dash once you type it in. It gives a streamlined look.
I actually like the colon. The long dash, or "em dash" usually is used (imho) to show a break in thought... something like "I never thought I'd do it--until I did"

In this case, you seem less like you are breaking the thought and more like you are adding some description, and so I think the colon is fine, in my opinion. Though I don't think either is seriously wrong or would raise any eyebrows.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:52 pm

"I couldn't get into Penn, and I don't own any pink shirts."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:55 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I would drop particularly because the position of that word and interested should be swapped. But then it would kinda conflict with the "in participating." As for the sentence. I'd break it up.

I like this rewrite, but prefer it with the colon.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:56 pm

RockinJosh wrote:

I actually like the colon. The long dash, or "em dash" usually is used (imho) to show a break in thought... something like "I never thought I'd do it--until I did"

In this case, you seem less like you are breaking the thought and more like you are adding some description, and so I think the colon is fine, in my opinion. Though I don't think either is seriously wrong or would raise any eyebrows.
A dash would work grammatically but go ahead and put the colon because it is considered more formal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”