Atheism---too school for cool? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
2011Law

Silver

Re: Atheism---too school for cool?

Post by 2011Law » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:05 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Coming from Phil major here, all professors say that they find all immature students claim they are pure utilitarians until they know what their talking about.
Wanted to say that I know I haven't read everything there is to read on liberalism/libertarianism/communism/utilitarianism, but I've read enough that I can form an intelligent opinion. Maybe I'm wrong (and you can tell me so), but I think those who believe in liberalism haven't thought enough about the consequences of their philosophical beliefs. I know they are in the majority, but I hope you, as a philosophy major and LSAT taker (presumably), do not use that as a defense.

OP, look at the stupid debate depicted above. This is why you should not write about this.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:07 am

Lonagan wrote:Since when the fuck does art and literature influence anyone's decision to go to law school?
lol, I read Gandhi's auto b4 9th grade b/c I thought I had to (apparently not), but it definitely influenced me.

weejonbu

Bronze

Post by weejonbu » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:10 am

Lonagan wrote:Since when the fuck does art and literature influence anyone's decision to go to law school?
Since Penn created this essay question, right? lol

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:17 am

Ok... not writing on the topic. Got it. Thanks for the feedback.
Coming from Phil major here, all professors say that they find all immature students claim they are pure utilitarians until they know what their talking about. Don't write about being a utilitarian. 1) if you haven't taken any courses on utilitarianism and other theories, they may find it bad judgment to write about it, 2) if you have, they may find you to be immature or not really absorbing what you're learning.
c'mon... really? I do know what I'm talking about or else I wouldn't consider writing on it.
Everyone, whether they admit it or not, wants to go to law school to make money for their family, so you are not special or utilitarian in that regard. Common sense. Plus, I don't think anyone will care what your religious beliefs, or lack there of, are--especially since Atheism is pretty common place, in high schools across the country.
It's not matter of whether or not everyone is utilitarian, whether atheism is commonplace, or whether it's commonsense. It's not a diversity statement---it's supposed to be an essay on a pierce of art or literature.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:48 am

In retrospect... that was a little dickish and angry. Sorry. Too many beers.

Now let's get drunk. (er)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:50 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Coming from Phil major here, all professors say that they find all immature students claim they are pure utilitarians until they know what their talking about.
Don't write about being a utilitarian. 1) if you haven't taken any courses on utilitarianism and other theories, they may find it bad judgment to write about it, 2) if you have, they may find you to be immature or not really absorbing what you're learning.

you wouldn't write about the aesthetic values of a painting and style you've never studied would you? of course not. it would be immature and ridiculous to anyone who had any idea of what they were talking about.

I hope this isn't harsh. Really hoping to help you and prevent you from writing an essay that will reflect badly on you.

Additionally, if you refuse to take my advice, which is obviously your prerogative, make sure you don't appear intolerant. Schools hate intolerance just as much as religious extremism.

HTH
I agree with this. Took a course which covered Mill and utilitarianism...the entire theory is fundamentally flawed at it's core. You'd have to make some very unpleasant judgment calls in order to be considered a utilitarian.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:55 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Coming from Phil major here, all professors say that they find all immature students claim they are pure utilitarians until they know what their they are talking about.

HTH

HTH
Oh geezz I hate when people do that and I just did
I was distracted by the movie I was watching; only defense I have

Correction: they're

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:55 am

Honestly, I'm not truly utilitarianist, although I agree with some parts of it and find some parts appealing, more than most other moral theories. It's just something I know a lot about and thus thought I could write an easy essay on.

And really, even though utilitarianism is flawed, its probably no more flawed than deontology or virtue ethics or any other major one.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:01 am

Most atheists are bitter angry social rejects. I'm sure you will fit right in at UPenn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:04 am

And that makes you... the guy who tries to pick on bitter angry social rejects in internet forums?
hhahahah

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:05 am

NorCalBruin wrote:And that makes you... the guy who tries to pick on bitter angry social rejects in internet forums?
hhahahah
Who am I picking on? I'm just stating the obvious.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:09 am

Um... me? Or were you trying to imply that someone else here was an angry bitter atheist social reject...as most of us apparently are?

Also, as someone who has an israeli flag for an avatar, I thought you, of all people, would be a little less prone to stereotyping.

I'm sure you'll fit right in at Cardozo-Yeshiva

:-)

superw

New

Post by superw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:17 am

MTal wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:And that makes you... the guy who tries to pick on bitter angry social rejects in internet forums?
hhahahah
Most atheists like Charles Darwin, Bruce Lee, Karl Sagan, John Lennon, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Eddie Veder, Frank Miller, Jack Nicholson, Jodie Foster, Paul Krugman, Albert Einstein, and about all scientists/economists scholars of note of the past 2 centuries...what a bunch of bitter, angry social rejects, huh

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:21 am

superw wrote:
MTal wrote:
hhahahah
Most atheists like Charles Darwin, Bruce Lee, Karl Sagan, John Lennon, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Eddie Veder, Frank Miller, Jack Nicholson, Jodie Foster, Paul Krugman, Albert Einstein, and about all scientists/economists scholars of note of the past 2 centuries...what a bunch of bitter, angry social rejects, huh
I don't believe Albert Einstein was an atheist. I think he was an agnostic.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:24 am

Am I the only one who thinks, regardless of whether atheism is an appropriate subject for this essay, that the underlying argument is not a good basis for this particular prompt? "My interpretation of Utilitarianism tells me that I should go to law school because it will make me happy" makes the inclusion of utilitarianism seem like a non-sequitur, since it's not novel to a follower of Utilitarianism that the pursuit of happiness is a good reason for doing something.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:25 am

I wonder if anyone was ever inspired by The Paper Chase?

EDIT: I mean legitimately inspired
Last edited by HeavenWood on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:26 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Am I the only one who thinks, regardless of whether atheism is an appropriate subject for this essay, that the underlying argument is not a good basis for this particular prompt? "My interpretation of Utilitarianism tells me that I should go to law school because it will make me happy" makes the inclusion of utilitarianism seem like a non-sequitur, since it's not novel to a follower of Utilitarianism that the pursuit of happiness is a good reason for doing something.
This man is a better philosophy student than the OP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:32 am

I agree that its a non-interesting issue for those who are utilitarian. But how many adcomms are?

And... to be influenced to go to law school by the actual piece of literature Utilitarianism by John Stuart Mill is extremely unique... just as unique as being inspired by the Mona Lisa, Claire De Lune, or any other piece of art or literature.

Is so far as that inspiration is unique, it's as good of a topic for an essay as any other piece of art, right? I mean, for other, non-uniqueness reasons discussed above I already concede that it's not a good essay topic in general.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:33 am

This man is a better philosophy student than the OP.

I'm drunker.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:34 am

MTal has to pick on the noobs considering any veteran poster here knows not to take his troll bait.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:26 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:to be influenced to go to law school by the actual piece of literature Utilitarianism by John Stuart Mill is extremely unique...
ಠ_ಠ

Grammar nazi, here. Something can't be "extremely unique." The word unique implies one of a kind. There is no gradation to how one of a kind something is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

QandAphorism

New

Post by QandAphorism » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Flips88 wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:to be influenced to go to law school by the actual piece of literature Utilitarianism by John Stuart Mill is extremely unique...
ಠ_ಠ

Grammar nazi, here. Something can't be "extremely unique." The word unique implies one of a kind. There is no gradation to how one of a kind something is.
Words, they sort of have many meanings sometimes.

(From Merriam-Webster)

Unique.

"3: unusual <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch — J. D. Salinger>"

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:44 pm

Flips88 wrote:
ಠ_ಠ

First off, your critiquing diction not grammar (yes, I know "grammar" is the vague umbrella word used nowadays to refer to anything related to writing). Secondly, your boorish insistence that "unique" is always narrowly defined as "one of a kind" is common here on TLS and is also a sure sign that you're a douche. Take a look in just about any dictionary and you'll see the term "unique" more broadly defined in the secondary and tertiary definitions given.

Lastly, I agree with you in principal that the section in question could be worded more artfully, but I felt like calling you out anyway because I'm bored.

Cheers!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:23 pm

I know I was being a douche. The OP thinking that he was extremely unique as an atheist, college student made me lol and activated my dormant douche mode.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:I know I was being a douche. The OP thinking that he was extremely unique as an atheist, college student made me lol and activated my dormant douche mode.
I just read the entire thread. Everything you said was warranted. I loled too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”