Diversity Statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
mlieber

New

Diversity Statement

Post by mlieber » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:47 am

I am a 24 year old white female. I am 1/4 asian by blood but have no connection to that background. I grew up in New York City, worked for two years after school and am applying to law school (that is basically the point of my PS). Will it hurt me not to have a diversity statement? I'm sure I could come up with something about how growing up in NYC makes me diverse, but I do not think it will be a strong statement. I am doing the "Why X" for those schools that offer it, but schools that just ask for a diversity statement about race or socioeceonmic hardships, will it hurt me not to write one? Please help I am greaking out

The Gentleman

Silver

Re: Diversity Statement

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:58 am

My vote is don't write a DS. It doesn't sound like you have any legit material. (living in NYC is not legit DS material IMHO)

mlieber

New

Post by mlieber » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:02 pm

I know i don't have anything to write about, but I'm sure I could make something up. My question is are these optional statements really "optional" i.e will it hurt to not write one like not writing a Why X statement, or are they actually optional and should only be used for people who have something to say

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:09 pm

mlieber wrote:I know i don't have anything to write about, but I'm sure I could make something up. My question is are these optional statements really "optional" i.e will it hurt to not write one like not writing a Why X statement, or are they actually optional and should only be used for people who have something to say
Don't make something up for the sake of writing a DS. Bullshitting your way through it seems like an awful idea. You would be much better off not writing one IMHO.

On the other hand, you should write "Why X" essays for schools that ask for them. (Michigan, Penn, Duke) Not writing one can hurt your app. (although people still get in w/o them)

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:23 pm

you should write a diversity statement about the hardships of your condition of replacing "f"s with "g"s at the beginning of certain words. It would totally greak them all out, and I should know as I have the same condition.

;)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't bother.

ht2988

Bronze

Post by ht2988 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:59 pm

If you have to "make something up" then you shouldn't bother. Many white females live in NY, from what you've said, there's really nothing that special about your background.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”