"extracurricular activities" Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
MissLucky

Silver

"extracurricular activities"

Post by MissLucky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:01 pm

"list and briefly describe any significant extracurricular activities"

can a job that I took up POST graduation be included? or is that not considered an extracurricular since I didn't do it while in school?

thnx

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: "extracurricular activities"

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 pm

A job should be listed under employment, not extracurricular activities. And anything happening after graduation is by definition not extracurricular.

Extracurricular activities are things you did during school besides go to class or work. Clubs, organizations, sports, hobbies, volunteering, etc.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:21 pm

exactly what I thought - thanks so much!!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 pm

I'm recently out of UG, and have volunteered with 1-2 orgs post UG (when I didn't have a job). Can I include these orgs in extracurricular? I was planning to but I guess you guys are saying they don't count?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:33 pm

JJDancer wrote:I'm recently out of UG, and have volunteered with 1-2 orgs post UG (when I didn't have a job). Can I include these orgs in extracurricular? I was planning to but I guess you guys are saying they don't count?
My resume has a section called 'Experience,' which includes both paid jobs and volunteer work. You do want to include your volunteer work somehow, but if it happened after UG, it's not extracurricular (because you no longer had a curriculum from which it would be extra- (outside).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:I'm recently out of UG, and have volunteered with 1-2 orgs post UG (when I didn't have a job). Can I include these orgs in extracurricular? I was planning to but I guess you guys are saying they don't count?
My resume has a section called 'Experience,' which includes both paid jobs and volunteer work. You do want to include your volunteer work somehow, but if it happened after UG, it's not extracurricular (because you no longer had a curriculum from which it would be extra- (outside).
"Work Experience" does not necessarily mean "Paid Work Experience"

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:10 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
I understand. I have little paid experience. Most of it is unpaid internships + orgs and it is all on my resume but I have an app that wants a "list and briefly describe extracurricular" answer so I was wondering if I could use some of my "Activities"type post UG involvement for it or would it have to be limited to UG things?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:19 pm

JJDancer wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
I understand. I have little paid experience. Most of it is unpaid internships + orgs and it is all on my resume but I have an app that wants a "list and briefly describe extracurricular" answer so I was wondering if I could use some of my "Activities"type post UG involvement for it or would it have to be limited to UG things?
Seems like a bad idea to me. Extracurricular means at the same time as your UG (or at least while pursuing some degree). I would try to work those more into a work experience type of field.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”