Diversity Statement Intro Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
mrr111

New

Diversity Statement Intro

Post by mrr111 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Last edited by mrr111 on Tue May 08, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrr111

New

Re: Diversity Statement Intro

Post by mrr111 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Anyone? Is it that bad? Say something, someone!

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:55 pm

I wanted to read more so it's definitely not bad, but someone can probably help you tightening it up to enhance the rhetorical effect

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Fresh wrote:I wanted to read more so it's definitely not bad, but someone can probably help you tightening it up to enhance the rhetorical effect
I agree. The wording can be tightened up quite a bit.
My sisters and I often speculated about our dad’s sexuality. I vividly remember talking to my older sister on the phone, and she told me that she “knew” dad was gay. She said that she found a book in his closet about how to come out of the closet.
"I vividly remembered when my older sister told me she had found a book about coming out of the closet." seems to convey the same meaning and is much more concise
At the time, I was 13 and living a thousand miles away.
Don't know if this is necessary.
I didn’t know what to think or how to feel. I just knew that she was right, whether he has said it himself or not. A little over a year later, and with hesitation, he said the simple words, “You know what mine and ______ living situation is?” And with that, although already suspecting it for years, my world was changed.
"Even without him saying so, I just knew she was right. A little over a year later he said, with some hesitation, the simple words, “You know what mine and ______ living situation is?”, and my world was changed".

Just some thoughts. I like the idea of the opening, but cut it down a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”