PS Swap Please Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
uwgbluedevil

Bronze

PS Swap Please

Post by uwgbluedevil » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:25 pm

I've only had my parents read it so its not really the most constructive feedback, lol. Anyone interested, just let me know.

In May 2005, when I graduated from high school, I was totally unprepared from both an academic and maturity standpoint. I had wasted much of high school performing poorly and not planning for my future. When I reached graduation I felt I had crippled my future. I wanted to go to college and continue my education because I understood that without a college degree, my career prospects would be severely limited. Therefore, my dad and I arranged a deal that would allow me to earn his respect and thus, help me earn a college degree.

The stipulations of the deal were that I get a full-time job and save enough money to pay for my first year of college. If I did well enough, my dad would fund the remaining 3 years. I found a job at FedEx Kinko’s working as a production associate, and to be honest, I had no idea what I would be doing. The Center Manager told me that I had gotten the job not by illustrating a strong knowledge of the position, but rather by exhibiting a great deal of desire and enthusiasm during the interview. I started out working for seven dollars an hour; more than a dollar less per hour than anyone else in the same position. I did not let my salary deter me and according to my manager, it showed. He mentioned on several occasions that I possessed a fifty dollar an hour attitude working a seven dollar an hour job which motivated me further.

FedEx was my first full-time job and when I started working, I didn’t know what to expect. Fortunately, I and the people around me meshed well and they helped me to quickly ascertain everything I could about my responsibilities. This rapid ability to learn; along with my drive and positive attitude put me in a position to expand my growth and maturity. Three months after being hired, the Center Manager promoted me to Production Manager of second shift, and put me in a position to oversee all store operations, as well as to be directly in charge of up to four people at once. According to my colleagues, I excelled in this position and greatly exceeded the expectations of my superiors. I believed the position was a perfect opportunity for me to learn extensively and improve my leadership abilities. Over the next nine months I pushed myself to be better at every aspect of my job. This included completing customer orders correctly and on time, gaining a full understanding of the technology employed, and maximizing my leadership potential. My time as Production Manager taught me a great deal about effective delegation and time management, which I utilized in college and continue to use every day.

One of the things I am most proud of with regards to my time at FedEx was my endurance and my ability to thrive under pressure and tight deadlines. During the holiday season, FedEx Kinko’s was at its busiest in both shipping, and printing. I was warned on many occasions by other Production Managers that I was wholly unprepared for the holiday rush and that I should be ready to hear complaints from customers, my boss, and co-workers. This only fed my drive and motivation to show them that not only was I ready, but that I would continue to exceed expectations. I got my chance in the middle of December when the first shift Production Manager decided to take vacation. The Center Manager was very worried about how to make up for this loss and I immediately volunteered to work both first and second shift. Nobody thought I would be able to do it, especially as busy as we were going to be. However, I was undeterred, and not only did I survive, I thrived. The Center Manager mentioned that the store had run better and more smoothly than it had before. Nine straight days I had worked a double shift. From six in the morning until midnight, helping hundreds of customers, producing countless print jobs, shipping numerous packages, and making tens of thousands of copies. In the end, I was exhausted, but I knew that even faced with overwhelming odds, I would beat them.

A full year after I had started my job at FedEx, it was time for me to move on to the University of West Georgia. I had proven not only to my father, but more importantly, myself, that I had what it takes to work hard and succeed. Resuming my education, this time in law school will help me to continue my personal growth, as well as opening up countless opportunities and avenues for me in my professional career. It is my hope that my strong interest in many fields of law combined with the law school environment will persist in challenging me and take me to new heights personally and professionally. I believe the enthusiasm and drive I have previously exhibited when faced with new and exciting challenges will create a situation where success in law school is inevitable.

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Re: PS Swap Please

Post by uwgbluedevil » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:56 pm

bump

anyone?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”