Why Duke Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
mst

Silver

Why Duke

Post by mst » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:49 am

Please critique. Please don't critique if you don't know a thing about "Why x" essays. And please don't quote, I'll be turning this in very soon. Thanks!
REMOVED
Last edited by mst on Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Stig

Silver

Re: Why Duke

Post by The Stig » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:00 am

Having gone through the Why Duke writing process (and it seeming to work...), I would suggest these:

1) Drop the first paragraph! It doesn't add anything besides repeating the prompt. That is the message you are conveying, and unlike presentations, you don't need to tell them what you are going to tell them...

2) In each of the subsequent paragraphs, you go on to tell them why you think Duke is where you should pursue an education, etc. etc. You should show them. Instead of naming "9 journals," pick one that you think is interesting and tell them why it connects to you. Make it apply to Duke! A good way to test if this you have done this correctly is to replace all the "Duke Law" references with "X Law" - does it still apply? If so, get more specific!

FWIW I wrote mine on a random article on their website about an article some of their professors just published, and I connected it to my interests, with the overall idea being that this is just one example of why Duke is such a good fit for me (interdisciplinary work, etc.).

I hope that helps!

mst

Silver

Re: Why Duke

Post by mst » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 am

It does. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”