Personal Statement too long? Put a disclaimer at the top? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
paratactical

Platinum

Re: Personal Statement too long? Put a disclaimer at the top?

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:48 pm

edubs003 wrote:
I'm not looking for HYS. I'm looking for advice and that's guys comment didn't give any. Also, if it asks for a optional statement. Can I not just use my personal statement, making it longer, to answer both?
When they ask for an optional statement, they're asking you for something about something else. Adding more pages to your PS is not what they are asking you for. The law school application is not a test to see how "uniquely" you can interpret the rules and guidelines for your benefit.

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:49 pm

paratactical wrote:
edubs003 wrote:
I'm not looking for HYS. I'm looking for advice and that's guys comment didn't give any. Also, if it asks for a optional statement. Can I not just use my personal statement, making it longer, to answer both?
When they ask for an optional statement, they're asking you for something about something else. Adding more pages to your PS is not what they are asking you for. The law school application is not a test to see how "uniquely" you can interpret the rules and guidelines for your benefit.
You should apply to Boalt with that statement. I think their cut off is 4 pages.

Good Luck! :mrgreen:

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:50 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
edubs003 wrote:Well I do have a diversity statement that's two pages. But then my addendum will be 3 pages. So what's the difference of putting the extra 1 1/2 pages on an addendum or a personal statement? It's the same amount of reading. I know they say don't go over two pages but I've also heard that they won't stop reading at 2 pages. And lets be honest, I'm probably not getting into many schools either way with my criminal history. So who cares if it's a little long?
Your addendum is most likely far too lengthy as well. Concise writing is very important, both in law school and in the admissions process. I guarantee you can cut a lot of unnecessary details out of every one of those essays. Just trying to give you some advice. If you don't want to talk the advice of people in here then just submit your apps and report in about how it goes when you get your decisions.
I'm taking advice. I'll probably try to cut down a personal statement that I spent about 100 hours on, but it doesn't feel right. My addendum is a 1 1/2 pages. So I'm trying explain things in my past (which is a complete shitpile) and then I come on here and you tell me to shorten it up. I can't! I have had my statements revised by English professors, high school teachers, and screenwriters. I guess I could have them cut it up.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:50 pm

edubs003 wrote:I'm not looking for HYS. I'm looking for advice and that's guys comment didn't give any. Also, if it asks for a optional statement. Can I not just use my personal statement, making it longer, to answer both?
I suppose you CAN do whatever you damn please. However, I, and most of the people on TLS, would not suggest you do this. Follow directions, they are there for a reason. Honestly, if I were an adcomm and I saw a PS that went on to the 4th page when I required 2... I would probably pull out the "Deny" stamp right there and not even read it. Sorry, but that's the truth.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:52 pm

edubs003 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
edubs003 wrote:Well I do have a diversity statement that's two pages. But then my addendum will be 3 pages. So what's the difference of putting the extra 1 1/2 pages on an addendum or a personal statement? It's the same amount of reading. I know they say don't go over two pages but I've also heard that they won't stop reading at 2 pages. And lets be honest, I'm probably not getting into many schools either way with my criminal history. So who cares if it's a little long?
Your addendum is most likely far too lengthy as well. Concise writing is very important, both in law school and in the admissions process. I guarantee you can cut a lot of unnecessary details out of every one of those essays. Just trying to give you some advice. If you don't want to talk the advice of people in here then just submit your apps and report in about how it goes when you get your decisions.
I'm taking advice. I'll probably try to cut down a personal statement that I spent about 100 hours on, but it doesn't feel right. My addendum is a 1 1/2 pages. So I'm trying explain things in my past (which is a complete shitpile) and then I come on here and you tell me to shorten it up. I can't! I have had my statements revised by English professors, high school teachers, and screenwriters. I guess I could have them cut it up I will continue to be obstinate and argue against hard-and-fast rules.
There, you see how easy that was?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:54 pm

I think you should follow your heart and do what feels right. I mean, that's what getting into law school is all about. And furthermore, I think you should also attach some stickers of unicorns and rainbows to your 3.5 page long personal statement. Maybe if you quadruple space it out, you can reach it up to 10 pages and in between each line, you can draw little smiley faces.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

edubs003 wrote:Hey everyone! I'm special, and rules don't apply to me! Now commence the kissing of my arse!
FYP

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Sammi wrote:I think you should follow your heart and do what feels right. I mean, that's what getting into law school is all about. And furthermore, I think you should also attach some stickers of unicorns and rainbows to your 3.5 page long personal statement. Maybe if you quadruple space it out, you can reach it up to 10 pages and in between each line, you can draw little smiley faces.
IB Corsair bans you because stupid people with stupid questions who can't understand sarcasm deserve kid gloves.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

edubs003 wrote:and then I come on here and you tell me to shorten it up. I can't!
This argument totally works with professors on papers with maximum lengths and also on judges who set maximum page lengths for motions. Just make sure to attach you arrest record to every document you file so that they know that you're special and get extra pages because you've had it so rough and the rules don't apply to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:56 pm

OP, keep in mind that the admissions boards are aware that they only give you 2pgs to get your point across. They know that that is a limited space with which to work with. Your challenge is to make every sentence the most awesome sentence ever. Everyone is attempting to put their life story into 2pgs. The poster that said that no one could possibly have a personal narrative that would warrant 2pgs is seriously mistaken. Of course everyone could fill up 3-4pgs with their personal narrative, the challenge is getting all of that into 2pgs. Also, I have a friend in law school taking legal writing and they literally had to write something that was EXACTLY 2 pgs. The last word had to be at the bottom of the pg, a perfect 2 pgs. It's about discipline, and like the others said, respect for rules. You want to go into the law profession. I'm not trying to be condescending as I am going almost out of my mind trying to do the exact same thing. It will make you a better person/writer. Do it.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:57 pm

paratactical wrote:
edubs003 wrote:and then I come on here and you tell me to shorten it up. I can't!
This argument totally works with professors on papers with maximum lengths and also on judges who set maximum page lengths for motions. Just make sure to attach you arrest record to every document you file so that they know that you're special and get extra pages because you've had it so rough and the rules don't apply to you.
aschup wrote:IB Corsair bans you because stupid people with stupid questions who can't understand sarcasm deserve kid gloves.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:57 pm

edubs003 wrote:I don't think you understand. I'm talking about jail time and alcohol abuse. If I cut down my personal statement, my addendum will just be longer. Doesn't make much sense. I'm thinking about just sending it and letting them figure out why it's longer than 2 pages.
I don't think you understand. Hundreds of people have similar stories, but they will be able to follow directions and cut the PS down to 2 pages.

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Reasonable replies were given first. I waited until I became sarcastic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:58 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
edubs003 wrote:I'm not looking for HYS. I'm looking for advice and that's guys comment didn't give any. Also, if it asks for a optional statement. Can I not just use my personal statement, making it longer, to answer both?
I suppose you CAN do whatever you damn please. However, I, and most of the people on TLS, would not suggest you do this. Follow directions, they are there for a reason. Honestly, if I were an adcomm and I saw a PS that went on to the 4th page when I required 2... I would probably pull out the "Deny" stamp right there and not even read it. Sorry, but that's the truth.
I'll try to cut it down. I really don't need anything else working against me at this point. I'm looking at Princeton Reviews book on personal statements. There's no way most of these would be 2 pages double spaced. Why do they seem so long?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:00 pm

edubs003 wrote:I'll try to cut it down. I really don't need anything else working against me at this point. I'm looking at Princeton Reviews book on personal statements. There's no way most of these would be 2 pages double spaced. Why do they seem so long?
Magic.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Deuce wrote:
edubs003 wrote:I don't think you understand. I'm talking about jail time and alcohol abuse. If I cut down my personal statement, my addendum will just be longer. Doesn't make much sense. I'm thinking about just sending it and letting them figure out why it's longer than 2 pages.
I don't think you understand. Hundreds of people have similar stories, but they will be able to follow directions and cut the PS down to 2 pages.
True. I'll just have a hard time cutting up my PS, when I know it's damn good right now. Just too long.

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Ok. Maybe we are being harsh.

Post it, and we can help you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:03 pm

edubs003 wrote:
Deuce wrote:
True. I'll just have a hard time cutting up my PS, when I know it's damn good right now. Just too long.
To give some more encouraging advice:

You CAN cut it down. Just take a good hard look and put on your "Adcomm hat." What do they not care about? Get rid of unnecessary descriptions. Get rid of the frills and fluff. It is possible. I understand your PS is your baby, but you HAVE to cut it down.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Sammi wrote:Ok. Maybe we are being harsh.

+1

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:04 pm

I would, but it's far too serious. I'm talking about charged with F1, F2. There's just no way I'm willing to share that info and post it online.

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:05 pm

edubs003 wrote:

I would, but it's far too serious. I'm talking about charged with F1, F2. There's just no way I'm willing to share that info and post it online.
You can PM it to us... but, I understand.

Good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:05 pm

edubs003 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Additionally, don't come on to TLS asking for advice and then spit in the face of those who are giving you legitimate advice.
Why don't you go fuck yourself? I came here for advice, not ridicule.
I think OP brought this on himself.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:06 pm

edubs003 wrote:

We don't know who you are, and frankly none of these people care enough for you to be worried. It's not like they're asking for your SSN. Block out personal details if you want.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:08 pm

JazzOne wrote:

edubs003 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Additionally, don't come on to TLS asking for advice and then spit in the face of those who are giving you legitimate advice.
Well if anyone can sit here and tell my that facing up to life in prison doesn't warrant 3 1/2 pages. Well then......I don't know what to say. I'll just try to cut it down. Thanks for the help.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:08 pm

edubs003 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

edubs003 wrote:
Well if anyone can sit here and tell my that facing up to life in prison doesn't warrant 3 1/2 pages. Well then......I don't know what to say. I'll just try to cut it down. Thanks for the help.
You're not the only one with extraordinary circumstances surrounding your background. I had about five pages of material that I cut down to 1.9 pages.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”