Quick Comma Question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
amissionsix

New

Quick Comma Question

Post by amissionsix » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:15 am

Quick comma related question. The part in question is bold. Should this sentence be either:

1) When I begin studying next fall, I will approach law school with a focused, yet open mind, and plan to fully involve myself with one or more student organizations where I hope to once again make a lasting impact.

2) When I begin studying next fall, I will approach law school with a focused, yet open, mind and plan to fully involve myself with one or more student organizations where I hope to once again make a lasting impact.

3) When I begin studying next fall, I will approach law school with a focused, yet open, mind, and plan to fully involve myself with one or more student organizations where I hope to once again make a lasting impact.

I'm thinking # 1, but someone who edited my statement recommended # 2. Thanks!

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: Quick Comma Question

Post by plenipotentiary » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

4. Two sentences. Use "but" instead of "yet."

When I begin studying next fall, I will approach law school with a focused but open mind. I plan to fully involve myself with one or more student organizations where I hope to once again make a lasting impact.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:25 am

amissionsix wrote:Quick comma related question. The part in question is bold. Should this sentence be either:

1) When I begin studying next fall, I will approach law school with a focused, yet open mind, and plan to fully involve myself with one or more student organizations where I hope to once again make a lasting impact.

2) When I begin studying next fall, I will approach law school with a focused, yet open, mind and plan to fully involve myself with one or more student organizations where I hope to once again make a lasting impact.

3) When I begin studying next fall, I will approach law school with a focused, yet open, mind, and plan to fully involve myself with one or more student organizations where I hope to once again make a lasting impact.

I'm thinking # 1, but someone who edited my statement recommended # 2. Thanks!
Commas are slippery things. I vote #2. You are trying to say that your mind will be both focused and open, #2 does that. #1 suggests you'll have a focused plan and an open mind. #3 is just wrong.
plenipotentiary wrote:4. Two sentences. Use "but" instead of "yet."
I don't think you should oppose focus to open-mindedness:

"When I begin studying next fall, I will approach law school with a focused and open mind. I plan to fully involve myself with one or more student organizations where I hope to once again make a lasting impact."

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:26 am

I choose #4: "with a focused yet open mind, and plan..."
Since "yet" is a conjunction, I don't really think you need a comma or three here.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:01 am

homestyle28 wrote:
amissionsix wrote:I don't think you should oppose focus to open-mindedness
Good point! I like "and" better, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”