Where to start?! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lornarose07

New

Where to start?!

Post by lornarose07 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:52 pm

I've got to get started on my personal statement. I've got plenty to say, I just have no idea where/how to start. Could this essay resemble a narrative? Can it be satirical? Help, please!

hawaii

New

Re: Where to start?!

Post by hawaii » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 pm

It can be anything you want it to be. I would maybe start by just sitting down and thinking about what you want the admissions committee to know about you. After you have a few things listed, think about experiences in your life that have made a difference in some way. A typical topic is usually dicussing what led you to your interest in going to law school. There is a whole topic thread with sample personal statements that you can read through to take a look at the types of things other people have written. I hope this helped. Good luck!

WayBryson

Bronze

Re: Where to start?!

Post by WayBryson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:02 pm

hawaii wrote:It can be anything you want it to be. I would maybe start by just sitting down and thinking about what you want the admissions committee to know about you. After you have a few things listed, think about experiences in your life that have made a difference in some way. A typical topic is usually dicussing what led you to your interest in going to law school. There is a whole topic thread with sample personal statements that you can read through to take a look at the types of things other people have written. I hope this helped. Good luck!
Agreed.

After I made my list of things I wanted to say, I did little mini free writes on each in a notebook. That allowed me to get going without being bogged down by the structure. The last thing I did was look for a narrative to link it all up. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”