Question about "Why X?" statements Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jamiLAW

Bronze

Question about "Why X?" statements

Post by jamiLAW » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:55 pm

So I know that Duke and UVA explicitly ask for these statements on their applications, but I'm also applying to Boston University, USC, and a few other schools that don't ask for these statements.

Are you all including these statements with applications even if they do not ask for them, or only on the ones that do ask?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Over-thinking every aspect of my apps

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Re: Question about "Why X?" statements

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:40 pm

I think it is important to send a PS to EVERY school you apply to. Whether you choose to let it be a 'why x' essay or not, that is upto you. I find though that writing a 'why x' essay FORCES me to think and do research on the school. A few of the schools I had been planning on applying to, I am no longer interested in, and several schools I am now considering but never would have been caught dead in before.

I think it is good to write one because 1. you know whether or not you are genuinely interested, and 2. the addcoms know whether or not you are genuinely interested (and why). I think they probably get lots of bland essays that are simply switched out with law schools names, and while there is nothing wrong with that, a more personal 'why x' essay tailored to your needs, might help you more than none at all.

That is just in my opinion, though.

Good luck!!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:44 pm

I am extremely interested in this topic as I am in the same boat. I feel that there is a difference between doing research on the web and actually having wanted to go to a school in a serious way. I think they can read the difference. Therefore, I have reasoned that any school who does not ask for "why x" specifically would rather get a genuine reflection of who I am than a cheap treatment of who they are. does this make sense or should I bite the bullet and write them all?

jamiLAW

Bronze

Post by jamiLAW » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:08 am

Since I posted this topic, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that giving them extra attachments they didn't ask for is not a good idea. It's more work for them and can come off as desperate. I'm only doing "Why X?" statements for the schools that explicitly tell me I can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”