Question about fonts and formatting Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dbrddr

Bronze

Question about fonts and formatting

Post by dbrddr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:48 am

Do adcomms read personal statements in exactly the form they are submitted, be it .docx or whatever else? That is, will they be able to tell if I use italics, use non-standard spacing at the beginning, etc.? Please don't tell me that it's not in my interest to do something like this. I just want to know whether they'll be able to see it if I do.

lifestooquick

Silver

Re: Question about fonts and formatting

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:50 am

I would make it a PDF before uploading to LSAC (this is what I'm going to do) to make sure all formatting is intact throughout the process.
Last edited by lifestooquick on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:19 am

D'oh.
Last edited by paratactical on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:49 am

paratactical wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I would make it a PDF before uploading to LSAC (this is why I'm going to do) to make sure all formatting is intact throughout the process.
TITCR
Actually it isn't --
From the LSAC website wrote:Supported file formats: DOC, HTM, HTML, TXT, WP, WPD, RTF, WPS, WPT, DOCX
Note: Pdf file format is not listed, because pdf's may contain items that cannot be merged with other documents.
You have a chance to preview your app before you submit. I attached both .DOC and .DOCX. Both converted just fine.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Tiva wrote:
paratactical wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I would make it a PDF before uploading to LSAC (this is why I'm going to do) to make sure all formatting is intact throughout the process.
TITCR
Actually it isn't --
From the LSAC website wrote:Supported file formats: DOC, HTM, HTML, TXT, WP, WPD, RTF, WPS, WPT, DOCX
Note: Pdf file format is not listed, because pdf's may contain items that cannot be merged with other documents.
You have a chance to preview your app before you submit. I attached both .DOC and .DOCX. Both converted just fine.
So when you attach a doc, does it convert to PDF in the system before law schools get it?
My resume has a million little tables that are invisible when printed or pdf'd, but very distracting when opened in word. Just have it for formatting purposes.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Yes it converts it to some format. I would imagine it is PDF. Besides that is just some setting you have turned on in word. My resume is formatted using tables and when converted they do not show up. Just make sure and preview it before you hit submit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”