Woke up at 4 AM and wrote my Personal Statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
12AngryMen

New

Re: Woke up at 4 AM and wrote my Personal Statement

Post by 12AngryMen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:38 am

Mike12188 wrote:I highly doubt you got in that many fights without instigating any. I was in High School once I was a wise ass and I also thought I was a tough guy. I would never write a PS about it. You should definitely put it in you addendum and try and convince the adcomms that you were only being a "hero"

Edit: booze,drugs, and violence
-also something I would not be admitting to in a PS

This reminds me of the PS that a kid wrote on here about being arresting for running a meth lab or something but trying to convince everyone he had no idea his friend was doing that and he had nothing to do with it
Hmmm . . . COMPARISON THREAD?????
METH LAB DUDE wrote:A risky topic but it's true and I'll have to disclose it at some point anyway. Any type of feedback is welcomed and appreciated...

“We’ve got something. Silver Camaro, dark tint, and XXXXX tags on a Friday afternoon? Suspect is inside. We’ll give it five and we’re moving in. This is it.”

I’ll never actually know what the conversation was among the Narcotics Unit of the XXXXXXX Sherriff’s Office, but I can imagine it was probably something along those lines.

Friday August 13th XXXX was the most terrifying day of my life. Ten days prior, I received a phone call from my childhood best friend, XXXXX, who was living in XXXXXXXX. He asked me to come get him, and said that he wanted to move back to XXXXX to get a fresh start. All I heard was that he wanted to come back to XXXXXX. I was going to have my best friend back.

It was around 3:30pm when I got there. I walked back to his room and he was just laying there on his bed, smiling. I think he was amazed that I actually came. He hadn’t packed a thing, which didn’t surprise me. I told him we had to get going, that it was a long drive. He told me to chill out, that it’d just take him a second.

Then there was the knock on the door.

A loud whisper came from his step-dad. “XXXX, it’s the police!” He jumped up and hid in the closet. I asked what was going on and he said to just lay on the bed and act casual. So I did. However, the casual act came to a halt when I looked up to see three men wearing all black with their guns pointed at me.

XXXX and I were arrested for possession of CDS II with intent to distribute, possession of marijuana, and possession of paraphernalia. I found out a month later from my attorney that he had sold methamphetamines to an undercover cop, and they were watching his house in an effort to catch the big exchange. I can’t say I blame them for mistaking my arrival for being just that. I’m also sure it didn’t help that I had to tell them the only time I had ever been in trouble was a year earlier when I pled guilty to criminal damage for doing “donuts” with my car in a gravel parking lot – in that very same town while visiting XXXX for his birthday. As the detective raised his eyebrows I realized my innocence wasn’t very convincing.

I was held for nearly 14 hours and was facing charges punishable by five years in prison. Additionally, I was told arraignment wouldn’t even be for another six months. Finally, after my parents posted over $8,000 in credit card collateral I was free. The charges were dropped four months later.

Four months is a long time to wonder every day if you’re going to end up in prison for something you weren’t involved in.
Before all of this took place I was content with my life. I had done just enough to get by in high school, hadn’t even considered going to college, and was working full-time at a job that I didn’t really care for. After seeing how in an instant happiness can be replaced with helplessness, freedom can be replaced with confinement, and innocence can be mistaken for guilt I became inspired to make some changes in my life. The biggest of all was beginning my college career less than five months after the arrest.

Legally I have no obligation to disclose that the trip to XXXXXXXX ever took place. I had it expunged, and there’s no record to be found anywhere. However, it impacted my life in a way that nothing else ever has, and most likely, ever will. It led to my interest in the American legal system and how it works. It has given me a perspective that most aspiring law students don’t enter the classroom having dealt with first hand – the perspective of the falsely accused facing prison time. Finally, it has given me the belief and faith that our legal system is just.

I aspire to one day be a criminal defense attorney that represents others who are suffering from the unwarranted fear and feeling of helplessness that I once felt. My journey since that August afternoon hasn’t been easy, but had it have been I don’t know that I would have done as well as I have. I look forward to challenging myself in XXXXXXX law program, and believe that my determination, unique experience, and academic success make me a viable candidate........

I can also tell you that when I was finally released I high tailed it the heck out of there, and was re-pulled over in a podunk town 20 miles away and accused of dumping off a meth-lab at a closed down gas station 3 miles back. I was re-cuffed and they drove my car back to their small station and I was questioned again regarding the entire situation. It was completely ridiculous and I will never set foot in Louisiana again. If I wasn't a terrified 19 year old kid I would have pressed the issue. I just wanted it dropped.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=128212

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:57 am

I can't believe I missed this thread until now. I thought it was just another PS.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 pm

The meth lab PS isn't even remotely close to this essay's league. It demonstrated a much stronger grasp of the English language and displayed genuine introspection. I doubt people would have mocked the legitimacy of his story if they'd had their own untoward encounters with police (i.e., if they had ever actually had interaction with police). Here are a few stories that have been posted on reddit.com in the last 24 hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBnXJED7 ... r_embedded
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-09-02 ... ues-lie/1/
http://www.timespublications.com/apr09-feature1.asp
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=7645194

If you think police cannot and/or do not abuse their authority....well, you're pretty naive.

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:40 pm

LOL @ DreamShake pulling his own card by trying to emphasize his street credibility in knocking my essay. "I've been stabbed" LOL son, be gone. You're not fooling anyone from behind the computer. And I quite clearly didn't start listing all of my bodily injuries (like you did in your post) in my essay, so who who are you to even pass judgement on my life? My essay barely begins to describe what I've really been through, and with reason.

What I see in this thread: A bunch of geeky lawyer-to-bes hiding behind a computer screen to talk shit. That's something I would never do. I get called immature by "sophia" yet she comes in this thread repeatedly to bash and me even edits her posts over and over again :roll: . And I'M the one who needs to grow up? Someone who seeks satisfaction in putting someone down over the INTERNET is only reflecting their own internal issues. It's quite likely a lot of you were picked on in your early years. Maybe something deep down inside makes you wish you could be just a little "cooler". Unfortunately, if it didn't happen a long time ago, it's likely to never happen, regardless of what kind of law career you pursue.

Your issue clearly isn't with my PS not being good; rather, it's more along the lines of you resenting what is being said in it. Obviously, you resent ME. I must remind you of someone you've always resented, which I find humorous to say the least. And flattering. If my essay can have that kind of power to get so many of you this worked up, it has to count for something.

That being said, if you think I'm shaken by any of these silly-ass comments, you're sadly mistaken. Sadly, sadly, sadly mistaken, because I know (and this is for the "men" on the site) that you would never say it to my face, but that goes without saying. And that's not even to say I'd do anything; I'm obviously past that stage in my life. But you wouldn't say shit.
Last edited by WeX11788 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:43 pm

So, how's the PS coming along?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:47 pm

So, this is for real then?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:47 pm

WeX11788 wrote:Sadly, sadly, sadly mistaken, because I know (and this is for the "men" on the site) that you would never say it to my face, but that goes without saying. And that's not even to say I'd do anything; I'm obviously past that stage in my life. But you wouldn't say shit.
FWIW, most people on this site won't be able to say it to you IRL because we won't be attending Cooley or working at dla piper.
mdallavis wrote:So, this is for real then?
Doubtful.

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Marionberry wrote:So, how's the PS coming along?
LOL, I call you out on your herbness for having a Glock avatar and you change it right away to a picture of your dog. Good job, my friend. Believe me, it's much more fitting.

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:52 pm

I see what you all want this to turn into. I was never into internet forum battles, but I know your kind. I admire your courageous effort in trying to start this war. :wink: I will no longer engage.

There's no reason for me to return to the thread, so I won't. Have your fun. I know the internet is your time to shine. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:53 pm

that was fucking horrible.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:53 pm

booyakasha wrote:that was fucking horrible.
He knows you're just jealous because you're a loser who spends all their time online.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:54 pm

WeX11788 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:So, how's the PS coming along?
LOL, I call you out on your herbness for having a Glock avatar and you change it right away to a picture of your dog. Good job, my friend. Believe me, it's much more fitting.

Your right, you made me self conscious and I don't want other people to think that I'm some sort of macho tool, so I changed it. Congratulations.

Now, about that PS. Made any revisions yet?

12AngryMen

New

Post by 12AngryMen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 pm

WeX11788 wrote:LOL @ DreamShake pulling his own card by trying to emphasize his street credibility in knocking my essay. "I've been stabbed" LOL son, be gone. You're not fooling anyone from behind the computer. And I quite clearly didn't start listing all of my bodily injuries (like you did in your post) in my essay, so who who are you to even pass judgement on my life? My essay barely begins to describe what I've really been through, and with reason.

What I see in this thread: A bunch of geeky lawyer-to-bes hiding behind a computer screen to talk shit. That's something I would never do. I get called immature by "sophia" yet she comes in this thread repeatedly to bash and me even edits her posts over and over again :roll: . And I'M the one who needs to grow up? Someone who seeks satisfaction in putting someone down over the INTERNET is only reflecting their own internal issues. It's quite likely a lot of you were picked on in your early years. Maybe something deep down inside makes you wish you could be just a little "cooler". Unfortunately, if it didn't happen a long time ago, it's likely to never happen, regardless of what kind of law career you pursue.

Your issue clearly isn't with my PS not being good; rather, it's more along the lines of you resenting what is being said in it. Obviously, you resent ME. I must remind you of someone you've always resented, which I find humorous to say the least. And flattering. If my essay can have that kind of power to get so many of you this worked up, it has to count for something.

That being said, if you think I'm shaken by any of these silly-ass comments, you're sadly mistaken. Sadly, sadly, sadly mistaken, because I know (and this is for the "men" on the site) that you would never say it to my face, but that goes without saying. And that's not even to say I'd do anything; I'm obviously past that stage in my life. But you wouldn't say shit.
LmAo at this fool. You got to put that attitude in check homie, can't even imagine how you'd react during cross exam in court or if the Judge overrules. Face the facts cracker and take your BA for a job at your local McyD's, you nothin but white trash jus like the rest of yo dumb ass friends. And I'd kick yo ass in a second you wont even know what happened.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:59 pm

paratactical wrote:
He knows you're just jealous because you're a loser who spends all their time online.
does he also want to settle this with fisticuffs?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:00 pm

This thread is gonna be closed for business oh so soon.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:00 pm

WeX11788 wrote:LOL @ DreamShake pulling his own card by trying to emphasize his street credibility in knocking my essay. "I've been stabbed" LOL son, be gone. You're not fooling anyone from behind the computer. And I quite clearly didn't start listing all of my bodily injuries (like you did in your post) in my essay, so who who are you to even pass judgement on my life? My essay barely begins to describe what I've really been through, and with reason.

riveting psychoanalysis brah

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:05 pm

booyakasha wrote:
paratactical wrote:
does he also want to settle this with fisticuffs?
It's clearly the only communication style he's any good at.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:12 pm

(I value my brain cells too much to read beyond the part addressed to me.)

You fail to grasp the point of enumerating that list. The point is your belief that anybody is going to be impressed by the thoughts you put forth is incredibly presumptuous (and naive). For all you know, the adcomm used to work in the FBI with Yale's admissions dean or was a combat vet. Hell, she might have survived the Khmer in Cambodia or or volunteered in Rwanda during the genocide. You really think people with experiences of that caliber are going to be impressed by street brawls??

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:19 pm

DreamShake wrote:
(I value my brain cells too much to read beyond the part addressed to me.)

You fail to grasp the point of enumerating that list. The point is your belief that anybody is going to be impressed by the thoughts you put forth is incredibly presumptuous (and naive). For all you know, the adcomm used to work in the FBI with Yale's admissions dean or was a combat vet. Hell, she might have survived the Khmer in Cambodia or or volunteered in Rwanda during the genocide. You really think people with experiences of that caliber are going to be impressed by street brawls??
YOU don't get it. They weren't just street brawls, and it's not like he started them. He's like a goddamn modern-day John Wayne - he doesn't start the problems, but he ends them.

We all know how John Wayne ended up - dead of cancer. Follow your dreams.

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:32 pm

12AngryMen wrote:
LmAo at this fool. You got to put that attitude in check homie, can't even imagine how you'd react during cross exam in court or if the Judge overrules. Face the facts cracker and take your BA for a job at your local McyD's, you nothin but white trash jus like the rest of yo dumb ass friends. And I'd kick yo ass in a second you wont even know what happened.
I would watch the language man, that's bannable (not a word) material right there.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:12 pm

I love how everyone gets all up in arms because some Internet doucher is running his mouth. The dude's either a troll or an overly defensive dumbass. In any case, he seems very proud of his PS and completely unwilling to change it. So let him send it in. Done deal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:36 pm

beachbum wrote:I love how everyone gets all up in arms because some Internet doucher is running his mouth. The dude's either a troll or an overly defensive dumbass. In any case, he seems very proud of his PS and completely unwilling to change it. So let him send it in. Done deal.
TITCR

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”