PS- ND Football/US Navy Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
CND02

New

PS- ND Football/US Navy

Post by CND02 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:38 am

Any thoughts on how to improve my PS would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

As I stand in the huddle, looking at the 80,000 screaming fans I keep telling myself that I am dreaming. Although this moment has been repeatedly played out in my head since I was six years old, I still I cannot believe it has finally happened. All the hard work and dedication has paid off and I am actually playing in a football game for the University of Notre Dame. As I walk off the field into the locker room I touch the "Play Like A Champion Today" sign one last time. Coach Weis taught us that a champion does not just represent what we do on the football field but also what we do in life. I savored that moment knowing that, while it may be the last time I have the privilege to touch the sign, it would forever be in my mind as a reminder on how to live each day. While the plays are now a blur, the journey reaching this goal will never be forgotten.

I remember hearing the sound of the alarm clock and looking at the time, 4:45 on Saturday morning, this could not be right. My roommate is just waking up and we look at each other and laugh. It is that time of year again. We grab our winter coats and head out into the frosty air. We get there just in time for our 5:30 workout, what the players call the “Morning Massacre.” A few drills in and I lose my breakfast like many others. I think to myself, “What am I doing here? There is no chance of me playing. I should just quit like some of the others.” Inevitably, I would tell myself that nothing great ever came easy and I worked through the pain. These morning drills and being “tackling dummies” were just the start of the obstacles the walk-ons, like myself, had to overcome in order to achieve their goals. I realized that the formidable challenges and personal sacrifices I made in order to achieve athletic and academic success prepared me for the future.

While I never thought the future would have me living overseas in Sasebo, Japan as a representative of the United States, the lessons I learned at Notre Dame prepared me for this great responsibility. In the Navy I have seen the different cultures of twelve foreign countries and the experience has enlightened me to how people in other parts of the world live particularly areas affected by great poverty. Witnessing first hand the exploitation of children and women to beggars and crime on every corner has impacted the way I view life. I believe this experience has been invaluable to me and allows me to bring a unique perspective to your school.

This past March I received a call from the ship telling me I needed to pack my bags and be ready to leave the next day. When I reported back to the ship earlier this year I was informed that my assignment would take me near the disputed Northern Limit Line to help with contingency planning regarding the Cheonan, a South Korean ship sunk which resulted in the loss of 46 of its sailors. Again, nerves and adrenalin ran through my body similar to when I entered my first game at Notre Dame Stadium. However, this time the stakes were significantly higher and this grave situation had far more implications than any game. Fortunately nothing further has transpired between North and South Korea, but the opportunity to be actively engaged in the detailed planning process on a major international incident with High Ranking Officials of the South Korean and American militaries was an invaluable experience.

These experiences have provided me with the opportunity to transfer into the JAG Corp, which will allow me to continue to defend my country, while practicing law. I will follow through with the same commitment to attaining this dream as I did with Notre Dame football and becoming a U.S Naval Officer. I believe the past eight years has provided me with a unique background that will allow me to draw on my past experiences to achieve success at XXXX Law School.

Duralex

Bronze

Re: PS- ND Football/US Navy

Post by Duralex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:01 am

--ImageRemoved--

In all seriousness, this Spartan fan begrudgingly approves of your PS.

CND02

New

Post by CND02 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:25 am

lol thanks and that picture of Rudy, as we all know, is classic.

Big game Sept 18th, hopefully we can beat the Spartans at Night.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:31 am

3.68-3.95 165-170 11.4

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”