Is this a good topic to write about? HELP Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
MichaelB123

New

Is this a good topic to write about? HELP

Post by MichaelB123 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Jerks. This website makes me sick and I'm done with it. There is rarely any constructive criticism.

I'll be back on here when I get accepted to a T-14 with my shitty personal statement so I can rub it in all of your faces.
Last edited by MichaelB123 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Re: Is this a good topic to write about? HELP

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Try writing about you, not about why you want to go into law. Your resume and job sound like they will insinuate why this is the path for you, but this doesn't sound like a personal statement that will give the reviewer any sense of your persona (i.e. comes across uber-boring). Perhaps do an exercise where you write down 25 first date questions and answer them yourself. One of these topics may be a great personal statement. Alternatively, ask one of your friends why he/she likes you and go from there.

MichaelB123

New

Post by MichaelB123 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Thanks.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Horchata

Bronze

Post by Horchata » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:03 pm

I don't see any problems writing about the transition from finance to philosophy. Just don't get bogged down in details. Talk about your interest in law. Everyone who reads your ps is going to feel the same way. I would just approach it by reminding the reader - law professors and students - why they got interested in law in the first place. Be honest - if you write a hint of a white lie, they will see it and so will every other reader of your essay.

I think your only problem at this point (without me knowing you) is that you don't have a lot of substantive points to back up your interest in law. Try to find those. If you can't, make the most with what you got.

Just my 2 cents. good luck

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Can you elaborate on your White Lie Hypothesis?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm a broken record on this, as some posters will tell you...but there's really no point in asking whether something is a good topic or not - you have to just write it and post it here (or PM it). We can't imagine how you'll weave the story so we just have to see it for ourselves. Besides, the topic isn't nearly as important as what you're attempting to convey to the reader.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Is it appropriate/inappropriate to discuss the use of adult diapers?

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:41 pm

A good topic is one about which you can write with some measure of energy and intensity.

Horchata

Bronze

Post by Horchata » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Horchata wrote:I don't see any problems writing about the transition from finance to philosophy. Just don't get bogged down in details. Talk about your interest in law. Everyone who reads your ps is going to feel the same way. I would just approach it by reminding the reader - law professors and students - why they got interested in law in the first place. Be honest - if you write a hint of a white lie, they will see it and so will every other reader of your essay.

I think your only problem at this point (without me knowing you) is that you don't have a lot of substantive points to back up your interest in law. Try to find those. If you can't, make the most with what you got.

Just my 2 cents. good luck
If you go down the route of explaining your desire to study law, I has to be very very sincere. So, if your come across as giving a white lie to make your point, people will probably be able to see through it. Idk, you might be a good liar, though!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MichaelB123

New

Post by MichaelB123 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Bump

Jerks. This website makes me sick and I'm done with it. There is rarely any constructive criticism.

I'll be back on here when I get accepted to a T-14 with my shitty personal statement so I can rub it in all of your faces.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:16 pm

:?

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Uh...I don't get it. You actually got a lot of good, constructive advice. You asked, they answered. Just b.c. it's not an answer you want doesn't mean it's not a good answer.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:38 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:Jerks. This website makes me sick and I'm done with it. There is rarely any constructive criticism.

you mad?

motownsaint

New

Post by motownsaint » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:42 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:Bump

A) He's trolling; or

B) He's so thin-skinned that he ought to rethink this whole law school/lawyer thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”