Is this ok? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
GoBroncos22!

Bronze

Is this ok?

Post by GoBroncos22! » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Real quick, is it ok (or accepted) if we put quotes in our PS? Or is this tacky and make it draw away from its "personal-nes"

Knock

Platinum

Re: Is this ok?

Post by Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:34 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:Real quick, is it ok (or accepted) if we put quotes in our PS? Or is this tacky and make it draw away from its "personal-nes"
Generally I don't think it is a great idea, but in some circumstances it can work well. I think, like everything PS related, it depends on how you do it, and the overall package.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm

It's really hard to make this work well. There are rare circumstances when it does...but I think the general consensus is don't do it.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 pm

If it's a great thinker or celebrity, do not use a quote from them. Ever. And especially do not quote them at the beginning of the PS.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:44 pm

It really depends on context, but if it's an "inspiring" quote, or as previous posters have said, from a great thinker or celeb, it's probably going to fall flat.

That being said, my PS utilizes a short quote which is a definition of a type of person from a short story*, and I think it works. So I can't tell you never to use a quote (obviously) but I'd be very, very careful about how it's done.

*I realize that's weird and vague, but my PS is very unique to me, so I don't want to post too much about it.

Oh, and seriously, NEVER start out with a quote.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”