"Why I want to be a lawyer" Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
RedTop

New

"Why I want to be a lawyer"

Post by RedTop » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:27 pm

I am helping my girlfriend research law school.

She has a good "personal story" (growing up in a communist country) but no particular reason to want to be a lawyer, other than that her current profession doesn't pay much and she's lousy at math so business school is out.

Can a personal statement finesse - or even not mention - why you want to be a lawyer? And if it can't, are admissions committees used to hearing endless bullshit about "I want to be the next Ted Olson/Thurgood Marshall/etc." (Bill Lerach? lol) and do they just kind of tune it out unless the case for wanting to be an attorney is really persuasive? In other words, even if you say it, they don't believe it, but they don't believe anybody else's case for being a lawyer either?

bk1

Diamond

Re: "Why I want to be a lawyer"

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm

You don't need to mention the law or law school at all in your PS.

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

It might be good to write something that doesn't suggest she's applying to law school because she's not good at math :). tell her to write about something she's passionate about or just something that won't bore the shit out of adcoms, yeah?

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:21 pm

bk187 wrote:You don't need to mention the law or law school at all in your PS.
But certain schools (BU and BC for example) do request that the PS be about what motivated you to become a lawyer. Seems like it wouldn't be a great idea to send one in that didn't address the subject.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”