Topic evaluation? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
westinghouse60

Bronze

Topic evaluation?

Post by westinghouse60 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 am

As a 21 year old white male, I don't come from any interesting background, nor do I have any significant experience to relate. I came up with this topic because it really has been one of the most significant things in my life.

Essentially, I would talk about my immaturity in high school and when I was attending community college, as well as my first semester at my current school (Maybe this could help explain why I had a 2.8 then and have had a ~3.7 since then? Or is this better saved for an addendum?). I explain how this was due to my uncertainty about what I wanted to do, and all my academic work was just a function of the general idea "you are supposed to do well in school", not working towards anything I wanted. I barely put in any work to my UG apps and didn't study for the SAT at all, because I just didn't care that much. I had law school as a general idea because I was always good at English/History, but I assumed I wasn't smart enough to get in/practice law. When I was at community college, I felt "stupid" for a lack of a better term. When I began attending my current UG, I messed around in another major and ended up making a 2.4. There are other issues which may have affected my academic performance that I don't to go into too much detail about, but I can talk to someone more about that later. After making a 2.4 I decided to apply myself more but didn't really know what I wanted to do. The better I did academically, the smarter I "felt", and thus the more I wanted to study, etc.

Anyway, in one of my classes (totally non law related) we read over a legal brief and I was fascinated. I did more reading over other briefs and case law and this re-sparked my interest in law. I started considering law again as a career and this goal of attending law school and practicing law has helped make me mature when nothing else (parental/social expectations) did not. Now obviously I'm on TLS asking questions like this and studying my ass of for LSATs and doing whatever I can to boost my GPA as much as I can. Because this goal has helped me change my life more than anything else, I absolutely know it's what I want to do. Maybe even end by thanking the law school for motivating me to maturity, or is that getting too cute?

Sorry if this is cliche, I just kind of wrote this as I went thinking about my life over the past few years, I realize there's a good bit of rambling as well. The goal of getting into law school/practicing law really has brought about one of the most important changes of my life, so if not this I'm not really sure what else to talk about haha.

SullaFelix

Bronze

Re: Topic evaluation?

Post by SullaFelix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:45 am

I think the entire first part would best be dealt with in a brief, straightforward addendum. If you don't have other topics, then I'm sure the second part (about developing a passion for law) can sustain an entire statement.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”