PS First Sentences Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
DorianGray89

Bronze

PS First Sentences

Post by DorianGray89 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 am

First sentences are important because they are meant to grab the reader's attention. What is/was your first sentence?

Fresh

Silver

Re: PS First Sentences

Post by Fresh » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:27 am

DorianGray89 wrote:First sentences are important because they are meant to grab the reader's attention. What is/was your first sentence?
COCK -N- BALLS; BOY DO I WANNA GO TO LAW SKOOL!

It worked for me..

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:45 am

How to Write a Strong Introduction

1. Attention-grabbing material: Hook them with a remarkable or a life-changing experience, an anecdote, or a question that will be answered by your law school personal statement.

2. Benefits: Make your essay worth their time to read.

3. Credentials: Build ethos.

4. Direction: Tell them your thesis and structure.
1. Hook your reader immediately.
Admissions committees read thousands of law school personal statements, and a boring introduction will result in the reader skimming over rather than fully considering the rest of what you have to say. Write a strong introduction. Hook your reader with a remarkable or a life-changing experience, an anecdote, a vivid description, or a question that will be answered by the rest of your personal statement. Your opening sentence is the most important part of your personal statement; use it to frame the meaning of every sentence that follows.
I usually start off with an anecdote/paint a picture of an experience.

From my DS:
With a thick British accent and a smile that overwhelmed his face my capstone geography professor had chosen to start the day's round table discussion with a seemingly simple question; "Where are you from?". As my peers listed off various locations dotting the United States I couldn't help but reflect on the distinct strands that have intertwined to form my own cultural heritage.
I had the same approach on my PS... but I ended up changing it because I couldn't tie in the story well enough to the rest of my PS.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:49 pm

The first few sentences of my PS followed the same principle of Tiva's. It attempted to capture the reader immediately by painting them a picture of the event. It's by no means necessary and there are plenty of other ways to reel the reader in, but it's my preferred method.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”