Basing your PS on overcoming an eating disorder? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
esq

Silver

Re: Basing your PS on overcoming an eating disorder?

Post by esq » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:13 pm

billyez wrote:I can't blame her for not putting up her PS based on what's being said here...the OP should definetely send it by PM to those who would like to read it.
OP, I am willing to help you and check my bias' at the door while doing so. I think that with your numbers, an interest grabbing PS like the one that you have described might really help you. Feel free to PM me if you would like me to critique your statement, whether or not you decide to go with your stated topic.

ps. From what I have seen, billyez seems to be the PS go to guy - his advice is pretty solid. So if you're a little confused by what I see as a lack of empathy and overdose of ego in all of these comments, I'd say definitely PM him for more advice. And good luck with your PS.

Ambitious

New

Post by Ambitious » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:34 pm

I think it could be a good idea to go with a lengthier addendum about it, rather than making it your PS.

It's a great explanation for the GPA. But is it the best explanation for why you want to practice law?

Overcoming problems is good. I respect that you confronted and overcame something. But at the end of it, your recovery made you a stronger person, not necessarily a stronger law student.

You can still write a heartfelt explanation that will resonate and be sincere with the addendum. But I think you may want the personal statement to be more in touch with your reason for law in particular than with your reason for not anything else.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:38 pm

IAFG wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
IAFG wrote: I definitely stigmatize eating disorders. I immediately think of vain, self-involved teenage girls. I definitely would not want to bet my cycle on adcomms being more generous.
I don't think most adcomms think like this. To be honest, I don't think most people think like this. The adcomms will indeed be far more generous.
The greater threat is adcomms fear that you can't handle law school, rather than that they will look down on you. Again, focus on overcomming the disorder.
who are you to claim this? people can't help what they're subconsciously influenced by.
Good Point. But then again, who are you to claim the opposite?

dcs24

New

Post by dcs24 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:34 pm

I think this thread has gone on long enough!

I'll be sure to PM it to some of you who have offered this week. I'm also brainstorming some other ideas to write about.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”