"Why Our Law School" Appropiate responses? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
casualty

New

"Why Our Law School" Appropiate responses?

Post by casualty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm

My first pick school asks statement of purpose questions such as why the applicant chose the school, in lieu of a personal statement. I've done research into the academic aspects of the school that interest me and intend to include that.

However, is it appropriate to include other factors not necessarily applicable academically? Such as the fact that it's a public school and I'm in-state or that it offers networking advantages in the area where I want to practice?

Or even that I'm from the town where the school is located, my momma lives there, I grew up rooted in the University's culture, and take their college basketball team way too seriously?

I want to impart my emotional connection to their institution and my desire to become a part of it, but I also don't want to put off the admissions people with superfluous, "I've wanted to go here since I was five," stuff.

Thanks!

ech41989

New

Re: "Why Our Law School" Appropiate responses?

Post by ech41989 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:05 pm

casualty wrote:My first pick school asks statement of purpose questions such as why the applicant chose the school, in lieu of a personal statement. I've done research into the academic aspects of the school that interest me and intend to include that.

However, is it appropriate to include other factors not necessarily applicable academically? Such as the fact that it's a public school and I'm in-state or that it offers networking advantages in the area where I want to practice?

Or even that I'm from the town where the school is located, my momma lives there, I grew up rooted in the University's culture, and take their college basketball team way too seriously?

I want to impart my emotional connection to their institution and my desire to become a part of it, but I also don't want to put off the admissions people with superfluous, "I've wanted to go here since I was five," stuff.

Thanks!

UNC?

blurbz

Silver

Re: "Why Our Law School" Appropiate responses?

Post by blurbz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:05 pm

I think a well-written combination of all of the above will do quite well.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”