General Statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Barbie

Gold

General Statement?

Post by Barbie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:51 pm

I want to get working on my various personal statements, each of which I had planned to be specific to the school, but for some of my primary places of application, I cannot find the requirements for the PS. I really want to get started on this, so should I just write a general personal statement? If so, what should I focus on in a general PS? For example, for a statement about something overcome, I would write about the brain tumor I had and cancer treatments I underwent during my UG. For contribution, I would write about my extensive experience in and passion for publication, editing, and writing, and my goal of being a part of said school's law review, other journals, etc. Of course for "why X school," it would be completely different from PS to PS. So what would I want to put in a general statement, if I should write one?

Would appreciate any advice :)

lawls

Bronze

Re: General Statement?

Post by lawls » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:59 pm

A good resource:

--LinkRemoved--

General advice on how to approach the topic is also given for each school (hover over the dotted underlining).

That said, I think you can at least work on the core of a statement and then add school specific stuff to personalize each application. Having a completely different statement for each school seems like overkill to me, but perhaps you have a good strategy for it.
Last edited by lawls on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Re: General Statement?

Post by Barbie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:00 pm

lawls wrote:A good resource:

--LinkRemoved--

That said, I think you can at least work on the core of a statement and then add school specific stuff to personalize each application. Having a completely different statement for each school seems like overkill to me, but perhaps you have a good strategy for it.

I'm a writing major, so I'm pretty good at getting things done quickly. Also, there is a good amount of time between now and the date applications will be accepted, so I thought I'd have time if I started now.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”