Addendum Question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
randomperson

New

Addendum Question

Post by randomperson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:14 pm

So I have about a 3.8 GPA from a top public school and received A's in all but 2 classes. Both classes were my second semester freshman year (3.3 GPA that semester). During this semester my dad lost his job and so I had to work 30-40 hours a week to pay for bills and the two classes that semester that I received C's in were math classes, and I have a documented math/foreign language learning disability, from a licensed psychologist.

With that said, I was hoping to get everybody's input regarding an addendum addressing these issues. Should I submit a short addendum (without these classes I would have an LSAC GPA of 3.94) addressing the extenuating circumstances and provide documentation for the learning disability or will this look bad to adcomms when I apply?

Also, should I address that I was exempted from my schools foreign language requirement because of the disability or is that not necessary?

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input!

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Re: Addendum Question

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Yes, you should submit a short addendum about your dad's unemployment and the job thing, the keyword being SHORT. Two paragraphs, max-- definitely under a page.

The learning disability is a mixed bag. Is it the reason your GPA went down? If not, forget it. Did you have testing accommodations on the LSAT? If so, ad comms will already be aware of your disability.

And ad comms aren't going to be confused by your lack of foreign language courses; they don't pay enough attention to individual grades on your transcript for it to even register, and plenty of majors/schools don't require foreign language.

Goooood luck! :-)

bk1

Diamond

Re: Addendum Question

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:52 pm

I agree with Meggie.

Short and to the point regarding having to work due to father's unemployment for this semester.

As for the learning disability, since it doesn't seem to be the reason why your grades are low, I would not mention it.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”