GPA Addendum, for SMU , please help, be ROUGH! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
E-Guy

New

GPA Addendum, for SMU , please help, be ROUGH!

Post by E-Guy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Hello,
This might seem long, but I think all these elemenets has a signigicant impact on my GPA, my community college GPA was 2.7
I would appreciate any help

thank you in advance

The purpose of this addendum is to address my undergraduate GPA. The core classes of my college career were negatively affected by three reasons. As a recent migrant, I had very poor English skills and started college with ESL classes. Second, at age 19 I had no financial support from anybody or any institution and had to work over 60 hours a week during these four years, my teenage brother was living with me, I was solely responsible for his financial and emotional needs. Third, I did not know how the education system worked, what dropping a class meant or how important GPA was until the second half of my college career. Because of these three reasons, I do not think my community college GPA is a good representative of my academic potential.

However, once I started my upper level classes at university level, I had a good command of English and my brother was able to support himself. Additionally, I was working part time, had learned the education system and was able to enjoy scholarships and financial aid. In 2 years, I graduated with two degrees and 3.2 GPA. Furthermore, the GPA of my professional classes was 3.6 and I believe the latter part my college career is a better indicator of my aptitude as a student.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Re: GPA Addendum, for SMU , please help, be ROUGH!

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 pm

E-Guy wrote:Hello,
This might seem long, but I think all these elemenets has a signigicant impact on my GPA, my community college GPA was 2.7

thank you in advance

The purpose of this addendum is to address my undergraduate GPA. The core classes of my college career were negatively affected by three reasons. As a recent migrant, I had very poor English skills and started college with ESL classes. Second, at age 19 I had no financial support from anybody or any institution and had to work over 60 hours a week during these four years, my teenage brother was living with me, I was solely responsible for his financial and emotional needs. Third, I did not know how the education system worked, what dropping a class meant or how important GPA was until the second half of my college career. Because of these three reasons, I do not think my community college GPA is a good representative of my academic potential.

However, once I started my upper level classes at university level, I had a good command of English and my brother was able to support himself. Additionally, I was working part time, had learned the education system and was able to enjoy scholarships and financial aid. In 2 years, I graduated with two degrees and 3.2 GPA. Furthermore, the GPA of my professional classes was 3.6 and I believe the latter part my college career is a better indicator of my aptitude as a student.
Sorry to say, but this is not good. Read the following and try again:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=86526
You also need work on your grammar and syntax, but first thing's first.

E-Guy

New

Post by E-Guy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Will do, thank you for taking the time

E-Guy

New

Post by E-Guy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 pm

any better?

The purpose of this addendum is to address my undergraduate GPA. During my freshman and sophomore years as a recent migrant, most of my classes were affected by poor English skills. While working over 60 hours a week, I had to support my teenage brother and myself. In addition, I did not know how the academic system worked, what dropping a class meant or what grant was. As result, I finished the sophomore year by a 2.7 GPA.

Once I started upper level classes, I had a good command of English and my brother was able to support himself. Additionally, I was working part time, had learned the academic structure and was able to obtain financial aid. Therefore, after 2 years, I graduated with two degrees while holding a 3.2 GPA. Furthermore, the GPA of my professional classes was 3.6 and I believe the latter part my college career is a better indicator of my aptitude as a student.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:10 am

During my freshman and sophomore years as a recent migrant, most of my classes were affected by poor English skills.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

E-Guy

New

Post by E-Guy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:45 am

it doesnt sound right i know, could you help me fix it thanks

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:16 pm

E-Guy wrote:Hello,

thank you in advance

I would like to take this opportunity to explain my undergraduate record. As a recent migrant, I was not adequately skilled to engage collegiate level learning. My English skills were not developed to the point where I could show my true academic prowess. During this time, I was the sole provider for both myself and my younger brother, which required me to work 60 hours a week, which hampered my initial efforts in college.

Due to these circumstances, I produced an undergraduate GPA of 2.7 after my first two years. However, as I began to take upper division courses, the situation rapidly changed for the better. I gained a much better understanding of English, and was able to work part time, as my brother was able to support himself. My GPA during this period was a 3.6, and though I graduated with two degrees and an overall GPA of 3.2, I feel that second half of my undergraduate academic career is the better indicator of my aptitude.

E-Guy

New

Post by E-Guy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:15 pm

booboo, WOW, thank you so much! this is a true "random act of kindness", I was about to pay a company $50 dollars for this and i am sure it would not sound this good, thanks again, ill pm my contact info, maybe i can return the favor one day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”