Addenda critique please! GPA and DWI Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Bearcat

New

Addenda critique please! GPA and DWI

Post by Bearcat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:09 pm

GPA Addendum

I was placed on academic probation in my freshmen year because of a low GPA my first semester. Unfortunately college was a difficult transition for me and for the first few years I continuously switched between majors in a struggle to find my passion. I came off academic probation after my second semester and there has been an upward trend in my GPA since, as well as a higher major GPA of 3.1. In junior year, I dealt with the deaths of my grandfather and a good friend, both of which negatively impacted my grades. I feel that my overall GPA is not a good example of my academic potential. I hope that my mitigating circumstances as well as my LSAT score will show that I will be more successful in my academic endeavors in the future.

DWI Addendum

I wish to address the disciplinary probation indicated on my application. In October of 2007, I was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated. I was passing through a sobriety checkpoint while driving a friend home, and was subsequently given a field sobriety test. I pleaded not guilty, and accepted a plea bargain, reducing the charge to a minor traffic violation. I completed an alcohol awareness classes and a victim impact panel. This was an isolated incident and an aberration to my normal pattern of behavior. I have never had problems with alcohol prior to this incident, and have had no similar incidents in the two years since the DWI charge. I sincerely regret my actions and I have not driven under the influence of alcohol since the incident. Although I am not proud of my mistake, I am grateful to have learned a valuable lesson and that no one was hurt as a result of my mistake.

Starting to lose faith that I'm going to get in anywhere. Very late in the cycle, applying to Santa Clara today (deadline is today!!).

daizee

New

Re: Addenda critique please! GPA and DWI

Post by daizee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 pm

I sincerely regret my actions and I have not driven under the influence of alcohol since the incident. Although I am not proud of my mistake, I am grateful to have learned a valuable lesson and that no one was hurt as a result of my mistake.

Makes me think you're still drinking and haven't learned...probably better to eliminate any second guessing and just go with "Although..."

Just a thought...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”