is paying worth it? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
oldfart

New

is paying worth it?

Post by oldfart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi,

I am an older guy (35 this year) who has been out of college for 14 years. I am going to law school starting in the fall, but not sure what to do about my ps. I am curious if anyone out there has used either Kaplan or Powerscore for help on their ps. I don't mind paying the price that each of them advertises. My concern is more about time. I have a fulltime job which keeps me busy during the daytime. In the evenings, I spend most of it taking care of other commitments. I have a good story to tell, started my own company 8 years ago, which has been successful, I just don't know if I have the time required to make it into a ps.

Thanks!

jcl2

Bronze

Re: is paying worth it?

Post by jcl2 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:26 pm

So you haven't even started writing a ps and you want to go to law school this fall? Have you taken the lsat yet? Despite your age, I would wait another year and apply this upcoming fall. Regardless of how good your numbers are your options are going to be severely limited by applying this late in the cycle. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said and you meant you were going to start applying to law schools in the fall.

As far as paying for help on your ps, I think that would be a waste of money. The ps is not a huge factor in law school admissions, and if you have decent enough writing skills to survive in law school and eventually be a competent lawyer, you will be able to write one yourself that is not going to hurt your application.

oldfart

New

Post by oldfart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm

The ps is all that i have left. the admissions counselors I have talked to are fine with me applying before the deadline. The schools I will am trying for are: George Washington, U of Houston, U of Alabama, LSU, and possibly a few others. My focus of study will be on Intellectual Property (my company is a software dev firm), which is why I chose these schools. (I live in louisiana, so LSU is on there as well).

As I had mentioned, my biggest concern is time. I just don't have a lot of it right now. If one of these companies can get it done, then I can take it from there and personalize it more.

FreshPrince

New

Post by FreshPrince » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Your personal statement should be just that: personal. You need to write it yourself. When you're a lawyer, you're not going to be able to slip some intern $50 every time you need something written. Make time to do it. Take a vacation day if you have to.

oldfart

New

Post by oldfart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Vacation day, HA! I haven't had a vacation in 5 years. That's the downside to owning a small business. Darn customers! Anyways, thanks for the advice. I'll try writing one and posting it on here and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks!

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:50 pm

Write it yourself. Spend 1 hour every day working on it until you are satisfied. If you have started your own business and done a bunch of work for yourself, I don't see how this is possibly difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”