Quick Grammar Question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
landmanpat

New

Quick Grammar Question

Post by landmanpat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:41 am

Although I was a different person, I still possessed a deep, lingering sense of inadequacy, because I believed my past would be a portent of my future and that this second college endeavor would end up only slightly different than my first.

My question is, does there need to be a comma after "a portent of my future" or not?

straxen

Bronze

Re: Quick Grammar Question

Post by straxen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 am

landmanpat wrote:Although I was a different person, I still possessed a deep, lingering sense of inadequacy, because I believed my past would be a portent of my future and that this second college endeavor would end up only slightly different than my first.

My question is, does there need to be a comma after "a portent of my future" or not?
I had to read "be a portent of my future" three times. While technically accurate, it is a bit stuffy and verbose to me. I would simply replace it with "portend". And, no comma.

landmanpat

New

Post by landmanpat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 am

Thanks!

EzraStiles

New

Post by EzraStiles » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:39 am

+1

"that this" is just unnecessarily wordy and the sentence seems ridiculously circular as well. I'd recommend streamlining the sentence, using only the necessary words without trying to impress admissions offices. They read enough that they know how to say what needs to be said.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Tue May 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Although I was a different person
No you weren't. What do you mean, more confident?
I still possessed a deep, lingering sense of inadequacy
Still indicates that it had lingered.
because I believed my past would be a portent of my future and that this second college endeavor would end up only slightly different than my first.
Did you possess a sense of inadequacy because you thought past is prologue, or did your lingering sense of inadequacy lead you to believe you'd repeat earlier mistakes?

The direction of causation strikes me as odd. Wouldn't a general characteristic cause a specific manifestation, rather than the other way around?

Because I was confident, I knew I would succeed this time. SURE.
Because I knew I would succeed this time, I was confident. RLY?

Just my $.02

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue May 11, 2010 3:54 pm

From another English teacher. . . some of the above advice is good.

To answer your question, no comma necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”