Did not get a permanent offer? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
WhatToDo?

New

Did not get a permanent offer?

Post by WhatToDo? » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Just found out that I did not get a permanent offer from the law firm that I was working at for the past summer. I am a rising 2L about to head into OCI. Am I just screwed and should just give up now OR is there some hope? Advice?

reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Did not get a permanent offer?

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:16 pm

WhatToDo? wrote:Just found out that I did not get a permanent offer from the law firm that I was working at for the past summer. I am a rising 2L about to head into OCI. Am I just screwed and should just give up now OR is there some hope? Advice?

You will be a 3L Fall 2009?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Depends on school rank and grades.
Last edited by MTal on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
WhatToDo? wrote:Just found out that I did not get a permanent offer from the law firm that I was working at for the past summer. I am a rising 2L about to head into OCI. Am I just screwed and should just give up now OR is there some hope? Advice?

You will be a 3L Fall 2009?
I think OP said he will be a 2L Fall 2009.

WhatToDo?

New

Post by WhatToDo? » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:21 pm

I go to a top 10 school and yes I will be a 2L in Fall 2009... Any advice / predictions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:21 pm

If OP is a rising 2L, isn't that par for the course? Do firms even give offers to 1L summers?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:25 pm

WhatToDo? wrote:I go to a top 10 school and yes I will be a 2L in Fall 2009... Any advice / predictions?

You are fine.. Especially ITE, as many many firms are not giving offers.. Got to OCI this fall, head held high and lock down a job for next summer.

WhatToDo?

New

Post by WhatToDo? » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Well, I am just worried because I know the question will come up. OCI starts at the end of the month; but I already have a call back interview at another firm and I do not know how to deal with that question...

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:34 pm

WhatToDo? wrote:Well, I am just worried because I know the question will come up. OCI starts at the end of the month; but I already have a call back interview at another firm and I do not know how to deal with that question...
It may not come up. It's not as though firms are unaware of the condition of the market or the overall health of their competition. Unless someone asks specifically don't go out of your way to call attention to it. That is, don't convince yourself that, even if they don't say anything, they are secretly assuming the worst and rush to explain or excuse.

Keep in mind that there's no reason why you can't spin this in your direction, since it seems unlikely that they'll be so bald as to ask 'Why didn't you get a full time offer?":

"I enjoyed my work at X, Y and Z, LLP, particularly assisting with this, that and the other, but found that I'm really interested in another [insert random aspect] of that sort of work. That's one of the things that makes Interviewing Firm so compelling to me - you've got such a great practice group, which I understand handles a great deal of [random aspect]."
Last edited by teaadntoast on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:36 pm

teaadntoast wrote:Keep in mind that there's no reason why you can't spin this in your direction, since it seems unlikely that they'll be so bald as to ask 'Why didn't you get a full time offer?":

"I enjoyed my work at X, Y and Z, LLP, particularly assisting with this, that and the other, but found that I'm really interested in another random aspect of that sort of work. That's one of the things that makes Interviewing Firm so compelling to me - you've got such a great practice group that I udnerstand does a great deal of random aspect work."
+1. That is some good spin.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:20 pm

In this economy you can just tell the truth, I'm sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”