Santa Clara University Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
M53201

Bronze

Re: Santa Clara University Class of 2011

Post by M53201 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Yeah, but anytime the ball falls near villa it seems like he's a threat to score. Plus I felt spain should have had a penalty 10 minutes earlier from the swedish defender's hand ball in the box.

ancorso

New

Post by ancorso » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:24 pm

I guess I missed the hand ball. Either way I am stoked that Spain won. They were the smaller faster team, and seem more interesting to watch than Sweden.

Then again, I only recently learned what it was to be offsides, so what do I know?

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:24 pm

I'm off for a week long camping trip. Hopefully when I get back there'll be another info letter from scu waiting for me.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:00 pm

just got back from a week of sitting on the beach!!

I held all my mail so it wont be delivered until tomorrow.
hopefully something good will be in there.

ancorso

New

Post by ancorso » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Not to burst the expectation bubble, but I have yet to hear anything back. Rather unfortunate.

Has anyone been pulled off of the wait list for housing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:28 pm

ancorso wrote:Not to burst the expectation bubble, but I have yet to hear anything back. Rather unfortunate.

Has anyone been pulled off of the wait list for housing?
LOL at expectation bubble.

ps ancorso: re facebook: who ever said law school was easy? and who burst your expectation bubble on that one lol...your status made me laugh. fun laugh. not mean laugh.

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:08 am

thanks to ancorso, i started to read law school confidential and it's super useful. everyone should read it, i got kind of scared reading about the workload; it's long amounts of studying time per day over many months.

anyway, i just bought the 4 e&e's for first semester, and i cant bring myself to buy the hornbooks now because theyre so fat; the size itself prevents me from putting down the dough because i don't want to carry them around any longer than i have to.

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:20 am

I am worried over here.

How am I supposed to find a place to live if I'm a student without income? Wouldn't a landlord look down upon someone living off of student loans?

Anyone have any experience with this, particularly in the San Jose/Santa Clara area?

I am also worried about buying a computer. I want to have one by August, but I dont want to rack up my credit card bill any further because I'm worried that it will reflect poorly when I apply for loans and when I apply for a place to live.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:44 am

valrp wrote:I am worried over here.

How am I supposed to find a place to live if I'm a student without income? Wouldn't a landlord look down upon someone living off of student loans?

Anyone have any experience with this, particularly in the San Jose/Santa Clara area?

I am also worried about buying a computer. I want to have one by August, but I dont want to rack up my credit card bill any further because I'm worried that it will reflect poorly when I apply for loans and when I apply for a place to live.
1st: WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!
2nd: I think only items that are in default will hurt your credit report, and then have a negative impact on loans and housing, so as long as you make payments you should be alright with that.

And as a semi landlord (I help my parents out a bit) they didn't care about people's debt unless it was like a massive amount that was on their credit report...

Also: I think landlords near the university would be more understanding since they deal with students a lot. Look near Santa Clara and San Jose State for those types of landlords.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:49 am

One more thing: Today is the day we can FINALLY apply for gradplus loans!

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:04 pm

yeah landlords around the school are more understanding for this sort of thing; it's also important to demonstrate that you'll be really clean, studious, and professional (i usually provide a resume to any prospective landlords as well).

as for your computer, do you need one now?

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:16 pm

speaking of computers...has anyone decided mac or pc? and if pc, what kind?

I flip flop almost daily...and one day i emailed SCU's computer help and asked them about macs:
Hello, I am a newly admitted student and I will be buying a laptop this summer. I just had a question about Macs.
How does one go about getting Windows on a Mac, and will Examsoft work on it?
and the response:
Once you buy your new Intel base MacBook or MacBook Pro with Leopard (10.5), it has a Bootcamp assistant built into it which we can partition your hard drive (create separate Disk spaces) into two session, one for Mac (Leopard) and the other for installing windows XP Home or Pro. which you will need to buy the software (http://www.softwaremedia.com/), ... Once partition and software is installed, you will be ready to install ExamSoft and download your exams when the time comes... Note, depending on your budget, the bigger hard drive space will be better when installing Bootcamp.

Once you have bought your Mac and software, you can schedule an appointment with me at http://www.appointmentquest.com/provider/2010075725

Welcome to SCU Law,

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:28 pm

renwoshin wrote:

yeah landlords around the school are more understanding for this sort of thing; it's also important to demonstrate that you'll be really clean, studious, and professional (i usually provide a resume to any prospective landlords as well).

as for your computer, do you need one now?
Thanks for the response, I will dress nicely and give them a resume. I just found out my credit score and it's really good so I hope that helps over the not having a job thing...

I wanted to get a computer by August, so I can be used to it and it's software before school begins. I just didn't want to push myself into too much debt before I got an apartment. And I will be getting a PC. That e-mail from SCU about the Mac just confuses me. I'll keep my Macbook for personal use (pictures, games, etc.).

Anyone else with apartment hunting advice/getting a landlord to trust you? Should I stay away from any particular properties or property management companies (i.e. Bassett apartments?)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:00 pm

renwoshin wrote:anyway, i just bought the 4 e&e's for first semester, and i cant bring myself to buy the hornbooks now because theyre so fat; the size itself prevents me from putting down the dough because i don't want to carry them around any longer than i have to.
Where did you get the books? From the schools bookstore? or are there better places to buy them? Also how thick are they? I haven't bought them yet but I'd like to, so that I can start reading as soon as possible. My only concern is I'm going to be moving from outside the bay area and I'm not sure how much room I'll have to lug around a ton of books.

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:14 pm

Actually, since you've started reading the E&E's, how useful do they seem in this pre-law school period? Are any of you planning to sit around/work/have fun/whatever all summer and not try to do too much prep in terms of reading?

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:20 pm

I bought 2 E&E's but I don't know anything about hornbooks.
Can someone tell me how we know what hornbooks to buy?

We will have homework for orientation so I will probably just do the homework.
I did a little light reading in the Crim Law E&E and I swear my eyes were glazing over in the beginning, but the examples were interesting, if a bit monotonous.

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:33 pm

i bought them from half.com. they cost about half off retail price there and i get the ones that have no highlighting in them or are brand new. I haven't started reading them yet, and i don't plan on reading them either this summer, it's just that it takes a couple of weeks for them to arrive so i'd like to have them before school starts.

i'm moving next to the law school in a couple of weeks and will probably buy the hornbooks then. Here are the hornbooks:

Torts (Prosser & Keeton)
Criminal Law (LaFave)
Contracts (Calamari & Perill)
Civil Procedure (Friedenthal, Kane & Miller)
Constitutional Law (Nowak & Rotunda)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Homework for orientation? I didn't hear anything about that (though I assumed there would be) do you know what it will be yet?

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:15 pm

I think we have to brief a case but they will tell us which one.

Last year I clicked on the first year orientation link and it had all the homework and instructions...then it changed to say that our homework would be posted in early summer.

ancorso

New

Post by ancorso » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Someone asked who created my mental easy law school experience mirage. A: No one. I just have this feelings of whimsy that I hope will let me enjoy my summer, rather than burying myself in reading.

Everyone should check Amazon for the horn books and E&Es. They have every title, and from there you can expand your search out to other sites to find better prices. Both develop the material accessibly, or at least as readable as anything would be for a layman. Good luck though.

I agree with renwoshin, check out "Law School Confidential." Rather than the wordy experience of any other author, the person directing the book steps aside to to allow recent grads to explain their experience. We had dinner, and we talked out our unpreparedness. I admit I am not... yet... Anyone else in the South Bay want to meet up for dinner?

And, though I may risk redundancy, has anyone heard from housing? Every other experience I have had with the campus thus far has been great. The Housing office has been irksome to say the least.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Lunch sat isn't good enough? Lol. Also if anyone else in the bay area wants to meet us for lunch sat PM me!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ancorso

New

Post by ancorso » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:20 pm

sjkarlina wrote:Lunch sat isn't good enough? Lol. Also if anyone else in the bay area wants to meet us for lunch sat PM me!
I got the messages in the wrong order. Ya, I will be there... :P

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:21 pm

how do they choose sections? is it completely random or do they try to group "personalities"?

ancorso

New

Post by ancorso » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:47 pm

I would guess that it all depends on when they place us into sections. Though, even if they were to observe us during our orientation week, that seems an uncharacteristically fast turn around for any organization to schedule 300 people.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:56 pm

Random. I already asked because Val and I are trying to scheme our way into the same section.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”