Pepperdine School of Law, Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Socallawmak

New

Re: Pepperdine School of Law, Class of 2011

Post by Socallawmak » Tue May 27, 2008 1:04 pm

Kait: Priority deadline for on-campus housing is June 1. I don't know if you have seen the housing yet, if you have, how does it look? I saw it from the outside only, it is super close, but i am trying to decide between continuing my search for off campus housing or just resigning myself to living on campus my first year. (Anybody feel free to chime in with comments on the on campus housing!)

Kati

New

Post by Kati » Tue May 27, 2008 1:30 pm

Socallawmak wrote:Kait: Priority deadline for on-campus housing is June 1. I don't know if you have seen the housing yet, if you have, how does it look? I saw it from the outside only, it is super close, but i am trying to decide between continuing my search for off campus housing or just resigning myself to living on campus my first year. (Anybody feel free to chime in with comments on the on campus housing!)
Thanks for the info on the housing! I'll need to be sure to sign up for it before June 1st then. I have not seen it yet myself no, as I haven't visited the campus yet. I've heard that the housing is very nice, though the bedrooms are small, but that's just what I heard at other forums.

EricC/O'11

New

Post by EricC/O'11 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Socallawmak wrote:Why not?! Come on late June isn't so bad! Classes don't start until Aug 25! I understand though, if you don't mind my asking where did you decide?

And on a side note, if your numbers are competitive and you really have an interest then I would totally ride this thing out! (again opinion of mine and I am NOT trying to force it down your throat, just don't want to see you throw it away for a couple of months)

Well...good luck in whatever route you take!
I decided to go to Notre Dame. Malibu vs. 6 month long winters....sheesh. But really, with housing around Malibu and deposits at other schools it made it impossible.

lawgirl24

New

Post by lawgirl24 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:51 pm

The housing is pretty decent. In the apartment I visited there were three bedrooms, all a little small but that beats sharing a room (like I did in undergrad). The kitchen was small as well-- no storage space. It kind of spills into the living room. They have cleaning people who come in and clean the bathroom for you. And, there's a bbq area outside. I'm living off campus, but if you don't drink and don't want anyone of the opposite sex spending the night, classes might go better living there because it's right accross the street from the school. Except for that huge staircase at the entrance and the size of the kitchen, the housing was nice. Is anyone a little concerned about the more conservative environment at Pepperdine? Or, is everyone here a conservative?

nkp

New

Post by nkp » Wed May 28, 2008 2:50 am

Did you already find a place off campus?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Socallawmak

New

Post by Socallawmak » Wed May 28, 2008 12:11 pm

Half my law firm is Pepperdine grad's and we have a bunch of law clerks who go to Pepperdine as well, and a few kids who did Pepperdine undergrad. Everyone tells me that especially for graduate school it's not bad. For the law school I have heard the conservative reputation of Pepperdine does not hold true whatsoever. I am not really all that conservative and not a chrisitan, Pepperdine got themselves a Jew this round! But yeah, I have totally heard it is not as conservative as they make it out to be. I know some guys that did the on campus 2 years ago, they all had alcohol in their rooms and a couple of them had "guests" stay over on numerous occasions.

I wouldn't worry too much about the conservative part, as I think especially in the law school it plays a very minor role.

Lawgirl: Where did you find a place of campus and did you go solo or roommate? I looked this weekend in Latigo Cnyn, Las Flores, Calabasas (Archstone & MCA) and off Puima. I couldn't find much, especially for a 1 bedroom (under 2K and preferably under 1500).

Cahillion

New

Post by Cahillion » Wed May 28, 2008 2:35 pm

I was planning on living off campus too, until I met with some current Pepperdine Law students who recommended living on campus in order to have more of a social life, and maintain a better gpa. Sounds like a good trade off to me. For anyone still looking for off campus housing, try http://www.westsiderentals.com, I contacted several landlords who have great places near campus. The member fee is well worth the expense if you end up in a cheap place in Malibu or surrounding areas. See you on campus!

lawgirl24

New

Post by lawgirl24 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:24 pm

Glad to hear that it's not too conservative. I'm pretty liberal and with Ken Starr as the dean and the religious environment, I was a little nervous. I'm going to live where I currently stay in So Cal-- the Glendale/Pasadena area. It'll take me about 55 min to get there in the mornings with minimal traffic. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I've already taken the drive. It'll be hell first year, but I commuted far for undergrad the last 2 years, so I'll deal with it. I may move to Calabasas after the first year. But, rent is cheaper out here, and I have a daughter, so child care and family support is all out here as well. I spoke to Colleen Sackinger at Pepperdine, and she informed me of some guest houses that were available. She showed me a two bedroom guest house for $1500. I was told guest houses are the best places to live. I guess you probably get more privacy this way (as opposed to connected apartments). West LA isn't too far from Pepperdine and might be cheaper than Calabasas and Santa Monica for anyone who wants to take the half hour drive.

Socallawmak

New

Post by Socallawmak » Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 pm

If that is the two bedroom guest house on Monte Nido, a lady named Lena, the house has a mini fridge, no real stove (not even a hotplate) and was not worth it in my opinion! Colleen is sooo nice! Yeah, I used her, westride rentals and placesforstudents.com to look for off campus, I found a number of guest houses on Latigo, Las Flores and Monte Nido and was not too impressed except for one that I saw off of Latigo, the best thing I saw was the Archstone Apartments in Calabasas, huge 1 bedroom and really nice, about 8 minutes to Pepperdine as well. The drive will be doable, but hell, I am commuting two hours to work right now (Orange County to Santa Monica), I am definitely ready to be without a commute for awhile!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawgirl24

New

Post by lawgirl24 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:11 pm

I hope u all find housing...I didn't realize it was that difficult especially for those living out of state. Good luck! Does anyone have any idea when we get our class schedules? Please don't tell me they make us wait until orientation!

myke

New

Post by myke » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:15 pm

hey guys,

new poster on this forum but i've been lurking around here for a while. i'm 90% sure i will be attending Pepperdine this fall. one thing that is kinda worrying me is the grading curve. everybody makes a big deal about how difficult hastings' grading curve is but these numbers make pepperdine's curve seem worse:

--LinkRemoved--

at least 32% of the students in every first year class received a grade below a B-. as i understand it, at hastings over the past years, teachers were required to give 20-35% of the students grades below a B-. 35% being the max! (this was before hastings relaxed their curve.) at pepperdine 35% seems to be around the norm. now hastings professors are instructed to give only 12-17% of their students grades below a B-. pepperdine's curve seems to be much harsher than hastings' future curve.

in addition, 62% of first year students at pepperdine have a GPA under 3.0.

i was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this.

Socallawmak

New

Post by Socallawmak » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:15 pm

Your GPA when you graduate makes no difference. It is all about your GPA in relation to the others in your class. I am not sure when the switch took place, but Pepperdine also just switched over from grading on a point scale, 83, 88, 92, 78 etc. to now using a straight 4 point GPA scale. Don't worry about what the curve is, if grades are a big area of concern for you just focus on keeping yourself on top of everything and prepped for exams so you can do better the X% of other students.

All the firms will look at your class rank with your GPA so it will be put in perspective.

myke

New

Post by myke » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:42 am

thanks for the help!

i'm from the bay area and was wondering if anybody from around here on this forum is heading down to malibu next year. if there are a bunch of us maybe we could meet up or chat online?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Socallawmak

New

Post by Socallawmak » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Now that the date is a little bit closer, who's going to that BBQ?? If you are planning on going are you flying solo or bringing a friend/parents/SO? I am headed up for sure and was planning on coming with just me, myself and I.

lawgirl24

New

Post by lawgirl24 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:27 pm

I was going to go to the barbeque, but I went up with my dad and boyfriend a couple of weeks ago (and took a tour a couple months ago by myself). So, I don't feel like taking that drive again until I have to go pick up books. The main guy in the book store is really cool. Everyone should probably go chat with him. He gave me some useful advice.

Socallawmak

New

Post by Socallawmak » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:39 pm

Care to share some of the useful advice? :D

lawgirl24

New

Post by lawgirl24 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Just that we should get books as soon as we get our book lists so we can get to the used books first (unlike those who wait until orientation). Depending on what section you're in or what professor you have, he'll also let you know what study guides you should get for a particular class. I still have no idea when we get class schedules, but we won't get our book lists until a couple of weeks before school starts. At my undergrad, everything was online including the booklist. At Pepperdine, you have to go to the bookstore to know what books you need. The guy at the book store (I can't remember his name for anything) said this is to keep students from purchasing the wrong books/wrong editions elsewhere, but I think it's also so that everyone buys from the law school book store instead of going elsewhere (obviously). Colleen told me to visit the Heroes Garden on the Drescher campus, so he told me where that was. That view is supposed to be incredible. He also discussed the importance of the dispute resolution program. He was full of information. Talk to him when you visit, and have your questions ready. You might think oh he's just the guy in the book store, but the students love him, and they've said that he's super helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nkp

New

Post by nkp » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 am

I will be at the bbq, solo as well.

cmp269

New

Post by cmp269 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi! I have a bedroom available for a female pepperdine law student beginning July 15th. Contact me at coriepatterson@gmail.com if you are interested. The details are:

One bedroom for rent in a three bedroom condo right near the Pepperdine campus. The room is a good size and has a large closet. You will be sharing the bathroom with one other person (a female). A Pepperdine graduate student is preferred and female is also preferred. The condo is only 1/3 of a mile from the campus and has parking. It is a gated complex and the condo has a private entrance. Ocean views from the living room of the apartment! Utilities will be split 3 ways between the roommates (one female Pepperdine grad student and one male Pepperdine grad student). Move in is 07/15/08.

nkp

New

Post by nkp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:07 pm

-
Last edited by nkp on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawgirl24

New

Post by lawgirl24 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:56 pm

Sent in my second deposit this week! Anyone nervous about job prospects after Pepperdine? We'll be competing with graduates from USC, UCLA, Loyola and others (Well at least those who practice in So Cal). I loved Pepperdine when I visited, but reading this forum way too much has made me question my decision. As a URM, a couple more points on the LSAT (or maybe even my numbers now) may have gotten me into USC, where I did my undergrad (although I'd probably have tons of loans versus Pepperdine where I have a great scholarship). I really really like Pepperdine, so someone please assure me that I made the right decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:35 pm

I posted this over in the forum for law students, but it's particularly helpful for Pepperdine students. It's an outline resource, but a good portion of the outlines posted are from Pepperdine students. Hope it's helpful!
http://www.docstoc.com/documents/educat ... aw-school/

nkp

New

Post by nkp » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Does anybody know anything about the housing waitlist, I hear that eventually everyone gets off if, can anyone confirm?

Socallawmak

New

Post by Socallawmak » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:03 pm

NKP: Not sure about the housing situation although people have told me it is usually not an issue.

Lawgirl: I would say you definitely made the right decision! I chose Pepperdine over Loyola and other higher ranked schools and am totally happy with my decision. I work with a number of Pepperdine grads at my firm and many of them are recently out of school and doing very very well for themselves. A couple of them went into Biglaw and left to have more of a life and more control over their work. We also just hosted an event with Pepperdine Alums where there were many people who were raving about the opportunities. I have met enough people in Biglaw who graduated from Pepperdine that I am not worried about that as an option, and so so many in smaller and mid size firms that are doing great as well. I think the biggest thing I am finding is their loyalty to their school and willingness to hire or assist other Pepperdine grads in their endeavors. I am fully confident Pepperdine is a great choice (better than Loyola in my opinion, which is why I chose it) and a school which will provide an avenue to practice any kind of law you wish.

lawgirl24

New

Post by lawgirl24 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks Socallawmak. I feel better now. I think I was having a temporary freakout from being on TLS too much. If only the summer before law school wasn't so boring. I'm so anxious I can't wait to start!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”