Northwestern '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Merrill

Bronze

Re: Northwestern '11

Post by Merrill » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:58 am

willie11 wrote:Section 1, staying at OnTTTeri

I'm out of bottled water. Someone said that the tap water is ok to drink here. This true?
It won't kill you, but it doesn't taste great, imo.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:49 am

I hope everyone who's around takes some time to enjoy the air and water show this weekend--last night was a pretty awesome show!

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:54 am

Your writing sections will include people from every section. Writing sections are usually about 30 people unless you're really lucky and get Rosenbaum, who is the department head and only takes on 12 students each year.

kerplunk

New

Post by kerplunk » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:05 pm

what is this PORTAL series during orientation?

MrRobot

New

Post by MrRobot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 pm

I created a Facebook group for those of us in Section 1. You must be part of the Northwestern network to join. Also, if any of you wants to be an admin or officer, just let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=44065464304

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:14 pm

PORTAL - Professional ORganization, Team Advancement, and Leadership workshops

They teach things like financial responsibility, team-building, and being aware of your online persona. They've revamped it a lot since last year, but there will be a few sessions that are pretty much the same. You'll probably go through the sessions with your CLR section and they will be spread throughout Orientation Week, along with the beginning of your writing class.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:30 pm

maybe some of the 2Ls can give me some advice here. How high is the degree of proficiency that is required with the material to have success? do most people at NU find that the actual material is fairly straight-forward and simple with the dividing lines being between those who can or can't synthesize well in a timed exam, or are there noticeably different levels of comprehension across the class?

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:42 pm

typodragon wrote:maybe some of the 2Ls can give me some advice here. How high is the degree of proficiency that is required with the material to have success? do most people at NU find that the actual material is fairly straight-forward and simple with the dividing lines being between those who can or can't synthesize well in a timed exam, or are there noticeably different levels of comprehension across the class?
You seem to be conflating two very important things. "Success" should really be looked at in terms of your career, rather than individual classes. Learn the material because you will need to know it (or you will need to know some of it, but may not know what parts will be important to your career as you likely haven't decided what type of law you wish to practice). Focus on learning everything so that you can be the best lawyer you can after you graduate. If you take law school seriously, and approach it as (absurdly expensive) job training, your grades will be fine.

You've ended up at a school that will get you a good job almost regardless of grades, so while it's important that you pay attention to what your professors expect of you, you'll have the luxury of taking a longer-term view of your success. I think of the proficiency I want to achieve in terms of the fact that in 2 years someone will be paying $200/hr for my legal advice; it would be inappropriate for me to accept that money if I wasn't confident that I knew what I was doing.

Edit to add: I've done well in law school, and am very happy with my grades, but I'm not an amazing student (I'll not be accepting the Stevens award or anything). If you're really focused on academia or uber-prestigious clerkships, it's possible that my approach is the wrong one to take. There's certainly nothing wrong with pushing hard for amazing grades, I just think it's possible to miss the forest for those 4.33 trees (the forest, in this lame-ass metaphor, being having an amazing time in law school). I know some people who can have that cake and eat it, too, but I had to choose and am really happy with my decision ;).

kerplunk

New

Post by kerplunk » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Section 3 facebook group up:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=30577129934

I really need to find a better image editor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arnaud

New

Post by Arnaud » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Corsair wrote:I'm fairly certain you can't take both BA and Corps. Only one or the other. (They cover roughly the same material) BA is generally the 'better' one because it covers a wider range of material. I still suggest taking Negotiations, even if you take it with another professor. It is a fun and informative class. A lot of what you learn could be arguably considered "common sense", but it makes you think about it critically.
Thank you for your responses. Indeed, I don't want to take Corporations and Business Associations but I hesitate between both of them.

Let me explain, it is possible for the LLM students to take two colisted courses with Kellogg and for me, it's very important. If I take Business Associations, I cannot choose Corporations and I am therefore forced to take Accounting or Finance in addition to Business Law and Contract. Finance seems to be very technical for someone who would never done, and accounting ... is accounting ;)

However, It seems that the Corporate Finance course is comparable to a Kellogg course (as all courses at 2.5 credits), but is not considered like a colisted course. It is quite curious, but if it's possible to fully treat this course like a classical Kellogg course, I would have no reluctance to choose Business Associations in the first half.

Now you understand my dilemma ...

MrRobot

New

Post by MrRobot » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:19 pm

kerplunk wrote:I really need to find a better image editor.
Have you tried GIMP? It's free, and it has a lot features you'd find in Photoshop.

http://www.gimp.org/windows/ I'm guessing that you use Windows.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:52 pm

so is there a consensus on whether I would be at much/any disadvantage by not generally bringing my laptop to class? are there any 1st year courses where laptop use would be required or nearly required? i'm very comfortable taking notes with pen and paper, and I don't entirely see how typing up outlines later in the course would be easier from computer notes than from paper notes. there may be elements to this that I am not thinking of, and I welcome any suggestions.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:55 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 pm

illegallyblonde

New

Post by illegallyblonde » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:07 am

Hey guys - Do you know of any good places to get alterations done? I have a bridesmaid dress that needs major work. For some reason I wasn't invited to the google group so I thought I'd try here first.

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I don't entirely see how typing up outlines later in the course would be easier from computer notes than from paper notes.
Three words: Copy and Paste.

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:40 pm

Eh, Copy and Paste may work for some people. I always find I retain things better if I hand-write them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:10 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:14 pm

at what point in the term did you begin outlining? was it a process throughout the term or did you sit down in the last few weeks and begin condensing your notes into outline form?

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Mine was a bit of a mad dash to the finish first semester, but I had some other things going on in my life (defending a masters thesis, for example) that made my time management more difficult than it should have been.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:10 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:55 am

people seem very nice. I think I'm the fattest person in my class though, which is depressing.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Corsair wrote:Did everyone enjoy their orientation?
There was a lot of waiting in line--to be expected, I suppose. Professor Lupo's talk was fun, and I want Dawn Clark Netsch to adopt me. I'm not sure I quite got the point of the Portal session, but I'm sure it will become clear eventually. Most people I met were nice, though some gunnerism was already evident during Lupo's talk and the Portal session. It was cool to see the range of work experience and life experience represented. I'm pretty sure I'm not the oldest person, which I was afraid of. ;)

Were any of you 2Ls present?

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Yeah, Lupo was very enjoyable. I kept wondering if they picked him because he's such a friendly and smooth talker, or if that was an early taste of what law school class in general is going to be like. If it's the latter, I'll be very happy.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:04 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”