UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
mata leao

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Class of 2011

Post by mata leao » Thu May 01, 2008 7:59 pm

Rats, I'm still not able to set up my e-mail (though I only sent in my enrollment confirmation a couple of days ago, so I guess that's to be expected).

In case anyone is curious, I sent an e-mail out to the Cal Housing folks asking about when housing applicants might receive notification of their status and said that they will be making offers over the next few weeks. I will probably end up renting off-campus/non-affiliated anyway, but I figure it can't hurt to at least have the option.

Mianbao: I'm no expert, but I'd probably second what others have posted. From what I've heard, housing in the Berkeley area becomes more of a zoo the later you get into summer. I'd guess you definitely don't want to get stuck in a noisy place w/ a really lively undergrad social scene (unless you're into that sort of thing).

I just joined the Boalt FaceBook group this afternoon. On a random side note, FaceBook's HQ is practically across the street from the non-profit org where I work. Yesterday their entire office was outside at a nearby park playing various games like 100-person Tug-O-War and ultimate frisbee. Silicon Valley never ceases to amaze me.

JM: One of the main selling points for me was the general atmosphere I perceived while learning about and visiting Boalt. I did my undergrad at Princeton and, though I had a very good experience there, the school was a bit of a bubble and many of the students came from relatively similar backgrounds and had fairly similar interests. Boalt students seemed like a particularly engaged group of people (and I don't just mean in terms of public interest work) with a wide set of interests, and I really appreciated the emphasis that Boalt placed on the personal statement in admissions. It's been my experience that, above a certain level of selectivity, it is really the unique perspectives of your classmates that enhances the academic experience and it seemed to me that Boalt admissions was very good at balancing high objective standards with other important considerations. Another big factor was UC Berkeley itself. It's a pretty amazing institution. Going to Berkeley means being a part of a great intellectual community where you have the opportunity to learn not just from the law faculty, but the brilliant professors and grad students from other disciplines, as well. I'm not even talking about formally cross-registering in a non-law class, but just the opportunity to attend things like public lectures, conferences, symposia, etc. that will undoubtedly be occurring all over campus throughout the year. It just seems like a great place to go to school, and I feel really grateful to have the opportunity to attend Boalt! On the other hand, as a Bay Area native I know many people who detested Berkeley for other reasons, and I can see how it would not be for everyone. What type of law are you hoping to pursue?

mianbao

New

Post by mianbao » Fri May 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Babs wrote:
You know the mandatory orientation starts August 14th, right?
--LinkRemoved-- ... r0809.html
Yeah, I emailed Dean Tom and he said that as long as I can register online this summer, it won't be a problem if I don't go to 'mando' orientation.

Thanks all for the advice about housing. My parents live in Fremont, so if all else fails, we'll be cozy for a few weeks.

mata leao

New

Post by mata leao » Fri May 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Fremont isn't so bad on a short-term basis. You could probably BART it and use the hour or so of travel to study (it'd be expensive, but then again, with the average price of gas around here the cost of a one-way ticket is pretty much the same as a gallon of gas). Just don't drive - traffic on 80/the Nimitz is absolutely atrocious. Honestly, if my parents lived on the other side of the Bay (they're in Palo Alto), I'd consider biting the bullet and living at home for an extra $800-$1,000 per month, plus food. It would feel a little regressive, but since I'll be married by then with a spouse across the country, I won't really have to worry about impressing anyone :D Where are you traveling to this summer?

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Fri May 02, 2008 2:46 pm

mianbao wrote: Yeah, I emailed Dean Tom and he said that as long as I can register online this summer, it won't be a problem if I don't go to 'mando' orientation.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure. :wink:

Fremont?! No worries at all then! You can stay with your parents until you find a place. There are always openings on Craigslist.

mata leao

New

Post by mata leao » Fri May 02, 2008 3:34 pm

Did any of you guys see the panelist at ASD who said he commuted to/from Davis (!!) everyday? More power to him, but I still think that's pretty nuts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Fri May 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Any of you guys play violin or cello?

nate_2001

New

Post by nate_2001 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:34 pm

I sent in my firm intention to enroll today!

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 pm

I'll be sending in mine on Monday! Glad to finally be done.

jsy33

New

Post by jsy33 » Sun May 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Hi, incoming Boalt 1Ls!
I am a "rising" 2L, looking for a roommate. The lease starts June 1, so ideally I would like to find someone who can sign the lease and move in then, but I am definitely open to finding someone to move in in August when school starts and find a subletter for the summer. The place is in a great neighborhood - Rockridge. It is really convenient to get to campus (a 10 min. bike or bus ride or a 30 min. walk), but far enough that you won't have to deal with drunken frat boys and run-down undergrad housing. For more information, check out my craigslist posting:
--LinkRemoved--
Definitely get in touch with me if you're interested - you can contact me through the CL post or look for my wall post on the facebook group for Boalt 2011.

Thanks!
Jenny

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Tue May 06, 2008 12:07 pm

Has everyone joined the facebook group?
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12142510660

Also, am I right that we have to send in an official final transcript to Berkeley even if we graduated several years ago and our LSAC transcript showed we graduated?

mata leao

New

Post by mata leao » Tue May 06, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi Babs,

Regarding the transcripts, shortly after submitting my intention to enroll form I received an e-mail stating that we had to send 2 copies of our bachelor's degree transcript and 2 copies of any transcript(s) we might have from a graduate degree program to the admissions office (the new address at 2000 Center St.). They said the LSAC-provided ones were only copies and that the ones we submit have to be "true copies" (I thought that wording was kind of funny). The message then goes on to threaten that failure to submit transcripts will result in withholding of your final grades, inability to register in the spring, etc. I think it's mainly just for confirmation that you have actually graduated and hold a bachelor's degree. In any case, they scared me enough that I did it that afternoon.

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Tue May 06, 2008 2:39 pm

babs22pa wrote:Has everyone joined the facebook group?
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12142510660

Also, am I right that we have to send in an official final transcript to Berkeley even if we graduated several years ago and our LSAC transcript showed we graduated?
Yes. I emailed them to ask that very question, and they confirmed.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Tue May 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks, guys. I just sent off the request to my undergrad.

And guess who got a perfect score on her Federal loan interview quiz? Whahahaha! Seriously, that thing was ridiculous. Reminds me of the driver's ed online course.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Tue May 06, 2008 4:20 pm

babs22pa wrote:Thanks, guys. I just sent off the request to my undergrad.

And guess who got a perfect score on her Federal loan interview quiz? Whahahaha! Seriously, that thing was ridiculous. Reminds me of the driver's ed online course.
Who?

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Tue May 06, 2008 5:31 pm

:oops:

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Tue May 06, 2008 5:44 pm

:D

nate_2001

New

Post by nate_2001 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:51 pm

I failed mine. Maybe I've lost that academic edge?

:shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Tue May 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Pretty sure that means straight HHs for you all three years.

Yay finals! Corporations tomorrow. How I love thee.

nate_2001

New

Post by nate_2001 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:45 pm

Has anyone gone through the grad plus loan process?

Also, is anyone else pursuing any housing options?

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Wed May 07, 2008 10:12 am

nate_2001 wrote:Has anyone gone through the grad plus loan process?

Also, is anyone else pursuing any housing options?
No, no one's pursuing any housing options :D

What did you have in mind? I've been scoping out Craigslist every day.

nate_2001

New

Post by nate_2001 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:31 am

I suppose I was more interested in how people were going about finding roommates. I think I'd rather live with other 1Ls or law students than getting a spot with people I find on craigslist, but there are only a smattering of us on this board. When I'm finally able to set up my Cal email address, is there an email list or something that people are using to find roommates/plan for August?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mata leao

New

Post by mata leao » Wed May 07, 2008 11:27 am

I'm currently looking for housing, as well. Please feel free to PM me if you're interested in looking together.

I haven't yet experienced the grad student loan process, though I'm sure that's about to change very quickly...

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 am

Formerbruin wrote:Pretty sure that means straight HHs for you all three years.
I knew it!
Formerbruin wrote:Yay finals! Corporations tomorrow. How I love thee.
Good luck, Formerbruin!
Has anyone gone through the grad plus loan process?
Not yet. The financial aid office is supposedly sending out a list of preferred lenders (that offer lower interest rates) sometime this month. I'm waiting to see if Federal or private Plus Loans will end up being cheaper. I accepted and (I think) finished everything for the Federal Direct loans.

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Wed May 07, 2008 11:31 am

nate_2001 wrote:I suppose I was more interested in how people were going about finding roommates. I think I'd rather live with other 1Ls or law students than getting a spot with people I find on craigslist, but there are only a smattering of us on this board. When I'm finally able to set up my Cal email address, is there an email list or something that people are using to find roommates/plan for August?
mata leao wrote:I'm currently looking for housing, as well. Please feel free to PM me if you're interested in looking together.

I haven't yet experienced the grad student loan process, though I'm sure that's about to change very quickly...
I'd be willing to chat with both of you about housing options.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Wed May 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Re: financial aid. In case you guys missed it, there was a green sheet in your admissions packet from the financial aid office with a checklist on the back. It's really helping me go through the steps.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”