UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
babs22pa

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Class of 2011

Post by babs22pa » Wed May 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Formerbruin wrote:Not quite. Here are the possible breakdowns of your schedule:

Everyone has Civ Pro (3 big sections) and Legal writing (12 sections).

Supermod A will have torts in small section (3 sections) and crim in big section (1 section)
Supermod B will have crim in small section (3 sections) and torts in big section (1 section)
Supermod C will have property in small section (3 sections) and contracts in big section. (1 section)
Urgh. So nothing is for certain except Civ Pro? Watch me spend the summer learning torts and crim and get put in Supermod C. :(

Thanks for clearing that up, though.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Wed May 21, 2008 8:13 pm

So nothing is for certain except Civ Pro? Watch me spend the summer learning torts and crim and get put in Supermod C.
Pretty much!
We don't want to give you too much of a leg up on everyone else, eh? :D

mrbuckfutter

New

Post by mrbuckfutter » Fri May 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Sock it to me!
Last edited by mrbuckfutter on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackBauer

New

Post by JackBauer » Sat May 24, 2008 3:10 am

I was at Everest Properties to check out some housing, there were two girls complaining like crazy there.

JackBauer

New

Post by JackBauer » Sat May 24, 2008 3:13 am

Formerbruin wrote:
It's true that we will all have Civ Pro, Legal Writing, and one of either Torts or Crim, right? Does that mean 3/4 of us will have Property and 1/4 Contracts?
Not quite. Here are the possible breakdowns of your schedule:

Everyone has Civ Pro (3 big sections) and Legal writing (12 sections).

Supermod A will have torts in small section (3 sections) and crim in big section (1 section)
Supermod B will have crim in small section (3 sections) and torts in big section (1 section)
Supermod C will have property in small section (3 sections) and contracts in big section. (1 section)

Your chances of being in any particular supermod are roughly equal (except for the so-called "Mommy Mod.")
So this means the chances of my 1st year classes being torts, crim and civpro is like 2/3?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Tue May 27, 2008 4:23 pm

JackBauer wrote: So this means the chances of my 1st year classes being torts, crim and civpro is like 2/3?
Our first semester, we have a 100% chance of having Civ Pro and Legal Writing, a 2/3 chance of having Torts/Crim, and a 1/3 chance of having Contracts/Property.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Just submitted my intent to enroll. I'm looking forward to joining you guys at Berkeley this fall.
babs22pa wrote:Watch me spend the summer learning torts and crim and get put in Supermod C. :(
You might view this as Fate's way of punishing gunners. :)

saradsun

New

Post by saradsun » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:43 pm

*EDIT*

LOL, NM, he forwarded me his offer letter that had a June 16 start date but didn't tell me that was negotiable. So he's going to counteroffer a July 7 start date. He probably still is going to need a sublet for 3 weeks.

My dh just found a job that wants him to start June 16th. I've been in contact with student housing but they aren't going to be able to get us in as soon as we need. He needs a room, a sublet, something ASAP in Berkeley. Please, if you know of anyone, PM me :)

anewfaceinhell

New

Post by anewfaceinhell » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:33 am

I'd look at craigslist - I'm sure you can find something. I was just there, looking for apts for July 1, and there were tons of places advertising immediate availability.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:00 am

My dh just found a job that wants him to start June 16th.
Sorry, what's a dh?

butrfly955

New

Post by butrfly955 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:24 am

Formerbruin wrote:
My dh just found a job that wants him to start June 16th.
Sorry, what's a dh?
Designated hitter

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:45 pm

I just spent 5 days in Berkeley and visited 4 places, thought I had lined up 2 that really wanted me, and they both decided that they wanted someone else (after I left). SO FRUSTRATING!!

saradsun

New

Post by saradsun » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:01 pm

dh, internet speak for husband (dear husband or damn husband I suppose, depending on the mood)

He's probably not going to need something now until the first or second week of July. I did look on craigslist and saw a plethora of temporary housing choices so hopefully it won't be a problem once we nail down a date. Our student family housing won't be available until end of July.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yjlu

New

Post by yjlu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:35 am

I'm about to sign a lease for a 900 sqft 1BR/studio (living room/bedroom together, kitchen/dining in another room) at the corner of Fulton and Oregon for $975/month beginning in August. It's fully furnished, which is great because I can't bring any a lot of furniture in my Corolla for the cross-country move. Is this a reasonable price at a decent location? Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:11 am

I think that's about market rate. I wouldn't expect to get a great deal for the initial move. Although 900 sq. ft. is pretty damn big. I didn't visit that area so I can't comment on the location other than that it's walking distance to Boalt and that seems a good thing. Oh, just remembered that Cal rentals has a pdf that describes the various neighborhoods. Its free to download from their site. I'd look for you but the file is on another computer.

yjlu

New

Post by yjlu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks for the Cal Rentals reference, I think this apartment belongs in the South Berkeley or Elmwood district. Yea, I was suprised by the size of the studio too. It is a long walk at 1.5 miles, but I think there's an AC transit busline along the way. I was told not to look west of Shattuck nor south of Adeline.

JackBauer

New

Post by JackBauer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:40 am

Bancroft and College FTW mwahhahahahaa!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yjlu

New

Post by yjlu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:49 am

haha, congrats JackBauer. Planning to roll out of bed into class in pajamas everyday?

JackBauer

New

Post by JackBauer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:01 pm

Well.... of course! and also a well-positioned Wile E. Coyote ladder thrust directly into the window of my morning classes should cut down my travel time considerably

JackBauer

New

Post by JackBauer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:05 pm

Ohh and Cal Rentals is trash.

Craigslist all the way.

Ohh and for future class of '12 people - you should try to get to Cal before May 30th, like May 15th. Because the semester ends in early May and lots of cute undergrads delay selling their stuff and are left in the unfortunate position of having to give their away as their move-out day approaches.

On June 1st I furnished half my apt. for only 100 bucks.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:32 am

Has anyone heard when we will be informed of our classes/sections? Are we going to have to wait until orientation? It looks like the UVa students already have their schedules...:?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:36 am

Has anyone heard when we will be informed of our classes/sections? Are we going to have to wait until orientation?
Yep. You get it when you sign in. Have fun waiting!

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Do any of you know whether the supposed noise issues on the south side of the campus are really that bad? I'm applying for an apartment on Hearst which faces away from the main street, but I'm also considering living on College in a building which is only a few blocks distant from the law school. Is Hearst far enough away for me to avoid such problems? I doubt I'll be doing all of my work in my apartment, but I would like for it to be fairly quiet at night.

JackBauer

New

Post by JackBauer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Hearst is totally fine.

Northside is generally extremely quite but recently there have been several drive by robberies at gunpoint because its so dark and unpopulated at night. College a few blocks away from boalt - really depends on where. If you are near a frat, it could be horrific, but otherwise its mostly pretty good (southeast berk)

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:10 am

Thanks for the information, Jack. I ended up getting into Manville off the waiting list, so there's a good chance I'll be heading there instead. The Manville rooms are a bit smaller than are the other ones I have been considering, but I believe this sacrifice is worth making if it means avoiding having to wait to see how I fare against 5+ other applicants for an apartment, which is the case at both of the other locations I like. The competition for decent housing in Berkeley is surprisingly intense, and I urge anyone else who has been holding off to start looking for a place as soon as you can.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”