UCLA Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
addictedtoblue

New

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2011

Post by addictedtoblue » Thu May 08, 2008 3:32 am

Another future UCLA 1L here...very excited!

FWIW, I was offered guaranteed housing with my admission and just got an e-mail saying I have been offered a spot in Weyburn. :D I applied for housing in early/mid April.

See you all in the fall,
Blue

mhiest02

New

Post by mhiest02 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:50 am

i just got an email saying i have a spot in weyburn too! yayy!!

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Thu May 08, 2008 12:35 pm

mhiest02 wrote:i just got an email saying i have a spot in weyburn too! yayy!!
were you guranteed housing?

and does anyone in at weyburn need a roommate? :D

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Thu May 08, 2008 3:16 pm

weyburns overrated bro, skip it if you can, everyone i know at ucla law did it one year and couldn't handle it anymore

tell the masses

thaBeastfromtheEast

New

Post by thaBeastfromtheEast » Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm

can you elaborate on this? What is so bad about it that people can't handle? Is there some sort of insect infestation or something equivalent that overwhelms the convenience and the low price? I know it's a little small, but is it really so bad that people get out because they can't handle it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silveri

New

Post by silveri » Thu May 08, 2008 5:19 pm

addictedtoblue wrote:Another future UCLA 1L here...very excited!

FWIW, I was offered guaranteed housing with my admission and just got an e-mail saying I have been offered a spot in Weyburn. :D I applied for housing in early/mid April.

See you all in the fall,
Blue
Welcome addicted. You were among the folks whose cycles I was watching on LSN (our #s are similar).

Glad you'll be joining us!

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Thu May 08, 2008 6:17 pm

I think its mostly the size, and people's personality. They don't like feeling like they are back in the dorms again, and alot of it feels like the dorms. Standard, small a$$ furniture, room keys, small a$$ rooms...

People spring for another 50-100 dollars more a month, take a lil longer shuttle ride, and get way bigger rooms they can personalize and feel like they own.

No insects as far as I know...

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Thu May 08, 2008 6:21 pm

disagree. I think Weyburn is nice if promixity to school is important, especially for out of towners. It can be pretty hard to find a decent room to yourself in Westwood (most people living in westwood are UGs sharing a room to make it more affordable). I imagine if I didn't know the area, Id definitely want to live within walking distance to school for the first year which I think for grad students, weyburn is the best option.

even for me, weyburn's my top choice cause i just don't want to deal with having to drive and buying a parking spot etc and i dont feel like paying $1300 in rent every month...

also i wouldn't worry about infestations or anything... the only problem with I know with Weyburn is that it was pretty much flooded when they first built it. They had to open it a few months late ecause of the flooding but I'm sure that's been taken care of already. I haven't heard of anyone really hating Weyburn. people might move out 2nd or 3rd year but that might just be to move to a cheaper area after they get used ot the school and location. I haven't heard of anyone hating Weyburn so much that they would move to another place in Westwood...

now- the Co-OP is another story :D

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Thu May 08, 2008 6:34 pm

double disagree. it's not hard to find a place to yourself in westwood, nor is it hard to find a roommate to share a room with. all you have to do is look in the right places. craigslist, CTO, have ucla's office help you. weyburn has become the default option for out of towners, but it doesn't have to be. there are place to live even closer than weyburn, like my current apartment right now, and all you have to do is look.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:41 pm

awaitingmailman wrote:now- the Co-OP is another story :D
LOL. The Co-OP is most definitely, "another story."
jerry maguire wrote:double disagree. it's not hard to find a place to yourself in westwood
In my experience (also LA UG) it was pretty damn hard. Mostly due to landlords being wary of renting out a $1300 1bd. to a kid with no co-signers and only 2 years work history.
jerry maguire wrote:there are place to live even closer than weyburn
Agree. Some really nice, but at a better or even competitive price?? When you add cable, internet, and utilities...i doubt it.

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Thu May 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Yea. Im not saying Weyburn is the only option or even the nicest place to live. But, for the price i think its pretty damn nice. you'd need to be pretty lucky and do lots of leg work to find a better place at a comparable price.

its not hard to find a place to live in westwood, its hard to find a good place at an affordable price.

mhiest02

New

Post by mhiest02 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:54 pm

yeah i was guaranteed housing when i was admitted. does anyone have any pictures of the inside of weyburn so we can see what we're talking about? and whats the big deal about the "co-op?"

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Thu May 08, 2008 6:55 pm

mhiest02 wrote:yeah i was guaranteed housing when i was admitted. does anyone have any pictures of the inside of weyburn so we can see what we're talking about? and whats the big deal about the "co-op?"
the Co-Op is a drug infested dump.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Thu May 08, 2008 8:49 pm

its like hostel hippie living haha

martin55

New

Post by martin55 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 pm

Weyburn is a solid place, for what it's worth. I'm moving out after my lease ends, even though I was guaranteed 2 years of it, but only because my roommate is moving out too. I just don't want to risk having some weirdo roommate to deal with for an entire year (I got lucky this year).

It's $957 for all utilities paid, along with free shuttle, super fast internet, cable, etc. Room sizes are fine, and you get your own bathroom. Parking's kind of steep though.

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:50 am

How much is parking? Is it a monthly fee or per semester?

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Fri May 09, 2008 12:51 am

245/semester

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thaBeastfromtheEast

New

Post by thaBeastfromtheEast » Fri May 09, 2008 1:42 am

What is the co-op? Sounds fun.

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Fri May 09, 2008 1:59 am

thaBeastfromtheEast wrote:What is the co-op? Sounds fun.
http://home.earthlink.net/~uchaweb/frameWhatis.html

i haven't met anyone who lived there that didn't hate it. one girl i know even had a drug dealer for a roommate- she left after two months of living there cause she just couldn't stand it.

the co-op isn't just for ucla students so i think thats where some of the problems come in. a lot of cool international students do stay there though. i guess it might be okay if you're really poor and dont mind sluming it and get extremely lucky with a good roommate (i dont think you can get single rooms). but uh even for its price, its pretty crappy. DO NOT LIVE THERE.

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Anyone heard from housing lately? And how many (if any) of you applied to the summer program? I sure did!

mhiest02

New

Post by mhiest02 » Mon May 12, 2008 8:00 am

i applied for the summer program. anyone know how competitive it is? im straight out of college and my grades and lsat were pretty good, so i doubt i'll even get in... figured it couldnt hurt to fill out the form though

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Mon May 12, 2008 4:00 pm

I applied for it - no idea what their standards are or whether high numbers are a plus or minus.....

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Mon May 12, 2008 4:28 pm

i'll probably apply when i muster enough motivation to do another application but i'm not too optimistic about getting it.

from their info about the summer program it seems that its designed for people who might need a little extra help to get used ucla law. so the following would help your chances of getting in:

being out of school for a while
being from out of the area
low gpa/lsat
low economic background

and whatever else that could make you a little more disadvantaged than other 1L to bes.

the small program size and opportunity to interact with some professors sound pretty cool, but i think the social aspect of the program is its main selling point to me... with that said, i'm willing to host social activities for the week leading up to orientation/class at wherever i live for those that don't get into the program (assuming i dont).

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Mon May 12, 2008 4:45 pm

poop. there goes my dreams of living in Weyburn. called the housing assignment office today and was told they won't be making offers to lottery applicants until august. i tried to tell her that the law school starts in august and she just repeated they wont be able to make offers until august. i guess i'm living outside of westwood :/

mhiest02

New

Post by mhiest02 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:08 pm

ughhhh sorry awaiting mailman. that doesnt make any sense. what are they doing between now and august?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”