UCLA Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Bouzouki101

New

UCLA Law Class of 2011

Post by Bouzouki101 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Well, I didn't see a thread up here for us, and I just put down my seat deposit today. Scholarships + perpetual sunshine = win.

Who all is out there? Why did you choose to attend? Like the ASW? Living in Weyburn next year? Insert any question I haven't asked yet? Time to celebrate people, the crazy stress of the admissions cycle is over.

thaBeastfromtheEast

New

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2011

Post by thaBeastfromtheEast » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Seems like there is not a whole lot of us out here, most people are mad cuz they got waitlisted or haven't heard back yet. I didn't go to ASW because I live in GA, did you go? Hopefully I'll get into Weyburn, that would be the shiznit. Is it a coincidence you posted this on 4:20? I mean, you did say it was time to celebrate, so I just kind of put one and two together...

LeveQ

New

Post by LeveQ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:28 pm

I'm headed to UCLA! Put my seat deposit in last week. And yes, I definitely hope to live in Weyburn. Any idea how hard it is to get accepted to that complex?

I live in San Diego but couldn't make it to either ASW. I hope to get up to the campus sometime soon to check everything out.

snlink

New

Post by snlink » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:09 pm

I'm headed to Westwood this fall as well. I was at the reception this weekend, it was a lot of fun!

Juliet

New

Post by Juliet » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:35 pm

I'm at UCLA Law, class of 2010, and I was poking around the site. Congrats on choosing UCLA. If anyone has any questions about UCLA, I'd be happy to answer them. (I don't live at Weyburn and didn't apply to do so, so I'm afraid I wont be helpful with that process). Either way, I'll see you in the fall!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:45 pm

I'll be joining the rest of you in Westwood this upcoming Fall, hopefully we can all get a decent apartments, but from what I've heard availability is lacking at this point.

kidrobot

New

Post by kidrobot » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:50 am

Hey guys, I'm headed to UCLA this fall as well. I applied for housing about two months ago and haven't heard anything at all from them. What are you all thinking of doing if you can't get into Weyburn? I'm sure there must be lots of apartment complexes close by...I don't have anybody to room with though at this point...so I guess I would have to look for 1 bedrooms/studios. Where do you live Juliet?

Is anybody else from the east coast? It's going to be a big move...

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:12 am

There is definitely a ton of places nearby that offer housing, the only problem is that most of it is expenisve. I used to pay 1200 for a 1bd right next to weyburn, but there are alternatives. I'm a current undergrad so PM me if you want any more info on housing or other stuff.

Juliet

New

Post by Juliet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:54 am

I live just below Santa Monica Blvd. off of Westwood Blvd. The area right around UCLA is very pricey. Also, if you are too close to campus you may have to deal with a lot more noise from undergrads partying. A good thing to look into when apartment hunting is whether they are close to the Big Blue Bus route (http://www.bigbluebus.com). Lines 1, 2, 3, 8, and 12 all run with relative frequency and they all end their route at UCLA right near the law school. The bus stop is actually closer than any of the parking structures. The other bonus is that it is only 25 cents per trip. Though I own a car, and originally got a parking pass, the bus is way cheaper and more convenient.

If you are looking for bargains and don't mind a little more of a commute, you may want to look in Santa Monica or in Palms. The best ways I've found to apartment hunt is through craiglist and through westsiderentals.com. It is not the cheapest site to join, but it has tons of listings if a few of you want to share a subscription.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thaBeastfromtheEast

New

Post by thaBeastfromtheEast » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:25 pm

I don't think we'll hear back about UCLA housing until the summer, I read that somewhere. Yeah, it is a big move from the east coast, but I'm just going to buy all my furniture and etc in Cali, cuz the cost to move is ridiculous.

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:25 pm

At ASW, the Dean said that we wouldn't receive our housing information until the middle of the summer.... : ( ...hopefully it works out.

thaBeastfromtheEast

New

Post by thaBeastfromtheEast » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:36 pm

that is a bad a$$ avatar leonidas

kidrobot

New

Post by kidrobot » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:51 pm

I just joined the UCLA Law 2011 group on facebook...everyone else here should join also

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:16 pm

thaBeastfromtheEast wrote:that is a bad a$$ avatar leonidas
ahaha, thanks Beast....I feel that it captures my personality quite well.

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:49 am

If anyone went to the ASD, you'll remember how many times they emphasized the beautiful weather. I just checked their website and had a pretty good laugh; they have a live weather tracker displayed prominently on the main page http://law.ucla.edu/home/ .... 55 degrees at 11:50pm and still Sunny! ha

redux

New

Post by redux » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:03 am

hahahahah it's always sunny in LA. and they do mean always.

lawbound88

New

Post by lawbound88 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 pm

hey everyone,

Just submitted my seat deposit as well. Is this law school like Candymountain or is it just me? I've feel like we've seen the light

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

overcastagain

New

Post by overcastagain » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:40 am

I just visited the campus today and so want to go there! Accept me off the waitlist please!!!!

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:38 am

overcastagain wrote:I just visited the campus today and so want to go there! Accept me off the waitlist please!!!!
Good luck overcastagain...If I were you, I would send a letter over to Dean Schwartz or even show up at UCLA and try to talk to him.

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Leonidas wrote:
overcastagain wrote:I just visited the campus today and so want to go there! Accept me off the waitlist please!!!!
Good luck overcastagain...If I were you, I would send a letter over to Dean Schwartz or even show up at UCLA and try to talk to him.
Well I don't know about that. I've dropped into the admissions office a few times in the past weeks and he is NEVER there...e-mail seems to do the trick though...

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:03 pm

BruinBoy86 wrote:
Leonidas wrote:
Well I don't know about that. I've dropped into the admissions office a few times in the past weeks and he is NEVER there...e-mail seems to do the trick though...
Nothing beats a face-to-face meeting...you could always call his office to find out if he will be in at whatever hour you are seeking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Chem_PhD

New

Post by Chem_PhD » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:11 pm

The area right around UCLA is very pricey. Also, if you are too close to campus you may have to deal with a lot more noise from undergrads partying. A good thing to look into when apartment hunting is whether they are close to the Big Blue Bus route (http://www.bigbluebus.com). Lines 1, 2, 3, 8, and 12 all run with relative frequency and they all end their route at UCLA right near the law school. The bus stop is actually closer than any of the parking structures. The other bonus is that it is only 25 cents per trip. Though I own a car, and originally got a parking pass, the bus is way cheaper and more convenient.

If you are looking for bargains and don't mind a little more of a commute, you may want to look in Santa Monica or in Palms. The best ways I've found to apartment hunt is through craiglist and through westsiderentals.com. It is not the cheapest site to join, but it has tons of listings if a few of you want to share a subscription.
TITCR - It will save you mucho $$ over Weyburn and get you away from all of the undergrads, if you're single. If you are married, then apply ASAP for Married Student Housing. It's the best deal around and you can take the BBB#12 or Culver City #6 to campus.

snlink

New

Post by snlink » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:57 am

edit
Last edited by snlink on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:08 am

snlink: thanks for posting the pictures. Did you like the place when u visited? Did you also visit USC? What did you like/dislike about the schools?? Thank you in advance for answering.

snlink

New

Post by snlink » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:17 am

I loved UCLA and Westwood when I visited for the ASW. I really liked the area and how lively the city felt at night just walking around. A lot of things are in close proximity so you can do quite a bit within Westwood without a car. I guess a downside which I am currently dealing with is the price of housing as it is VERY high around the area. I guess everything in general is pretty expensive but it is West LA after all. As for the campus, I personally prefer being a part of a larger university, though I know some people might not like that. I didn't visit USC so I wouldn't be able to answer any questions about that campus, sorry!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”