New York Law School class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
alimania

New

New York Law School class of 2011

Post by alimania » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:01 pm

Post here :D

Player30

New

Re: New York Law School class of 2011

Post by Player30 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:33 pm

I'm in and visiting Monday.

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Great... let me (and anyone else interested) know how it goes... your impression of the building, profs, etc... it would really help!

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:23 am

How was your visit? :D

Player30

New

Post by Player30 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:28 pm

Not bad. The TriBeca location is great. Students seemed nice. I sat in on a Criminal Law class and it was very well taught. Most students seemed happy to be going there, though I did get the sense it is very rigorous and I'm not sure how often people get to take advantage of the NYC location. I have that and Pace right now that I am basically considering, and I am on a bunch of waitlists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:16 am

I had the same problem - Pace or NYLS. In the end, though, I ended up withdrawing from Pace and sent in my deposit to NYLS.

I'm also on 3 waitlists, but I'm seriously thinking of withdrawing, just because I don't feel like going through with them (Miami, Rutgers Newark, and USF).

Btw, the deadline for deposits has passed - where did you send yours to?

kg5

New

Post by kg5 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Anyone staying in the residence hall next semester looking for a roommate? Or any general reviews of what the residence hall is like? Good/Bad? Thanks.

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:15 am

Hey man, I think I'm gonna stay in the residence hall for at least the 1st year :)

kg5

New

Post by kg5 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:34 pm

nice, anyone have any reviews of it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:58 pm

For the love of God, please think twice about going here.

tragedism

New

Post by tragedism » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:22 am

MTal wrote:For the love of God, please think twice about going here.
As a person who is on the edge about going here, I have to ask: why?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:52 am

NYLS is the 3rd most expensive law school in the United States which also happens to be located in an area with one of the highest costs of living in the country. Without a scholarship, you will likely graduate with 180k in debt in a legal market which is completely saturated with higher ranked and more respected schools. Simply put, your job prospects will not be good. Please do your own research on this.

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:13 am

Why, then, do you assume the following:

1) That paying for law school would be a problem
2) That one indeed isn't receiving a scholarship for attending
3) Everyone wants to do biglaw (I'm assuming this is the "saturated" market you're talking about)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 pm

alimania wrote:Why, then, do you assume the following:

3) Everyone wants to do biglaw (I'm assuming this is the "saturated" market you're talking about)
What? Most people don't have $180k lying around. Why do you assume that everyone is as rich as you? Paying for law school is a problem for 80% of applicants or so...
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:04 pm

I agree with UD, and the job prospects aren't good considering NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, and St. John's are more respected

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:15 pm

underdawg wrote:

What? Most people don't have $180k lying around. Why do you assume that everyone is as rich as you? Paying for law school is a problem for 80% of applicants or so...
Just to clear things up, 1) and 2) are supposed to be the same thing... what I meant by paying for law school not being a problem, is that many people are receiving some kind of scholarship and not paying full tuition!

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:23 pm

nvoight911 wrote:I agree with UD, and the job prospects aren't good considering NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, and St. John's are more respected
Someone who is considering NYLS would probably never (or very rarely with extreme LSAT prep) get into NYU, Columbia, or Fordham.

As for job prospects compared to Cardozo, Brooklyn - sure NYLS is worse off. But don't kid yourself, not MUCH worse off. I would say Cardozo places something like top 20% firmly in biglaw (just an estimate). Brooklyn a bit less (15-18%?).

I would still prefer NYLS over SJU to be honest, because of the killer location. And plus SJU's pacement in biglaw is not much better than NYLS's. It differs by a few %. While NYLS probably places around the top 10% in biglaw, SJU can't be more than 13-14%.

I've done the research and I know. Just go on to any top firm websites and check for NYLS grads. All of them have them - can't say the same for SJU.

Again, if one were receiving some kind of scholarship to go to NYLS, it's not a bad option at all for NYC, especially since said person probably would have a hard time gunning for NYU and Columbia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:30 pm

alimania wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:I agree with UD, and the job prospects aren't good considering NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, and St. John's are more respected
Someone who is considering NYLS would probably never (or very rarely with extreme LSAT prep) get into NYU, Columbia, or Fordham.

As for job prospects compared to Cardozo, Brooklyn - sure NYLS is worse off. But don't kid yourself, not MUCH worse off. I would say Cardozo places something like top 20% firmly in biglaw (just an estimate). Brooklyn a bit less (15-18%?).

I would still prefer NYLS over SJU to be honest, because of the killer location. And plus SJU's pacement in biglaw is not much better than NYLS's. It differs by a few %. While NYLS probably places around the top 10% in biglaw, SJU can't be more than 13-14%.

I've done the research and I know. Just go on to any top firm websites and check for NYLS grads. All of them have them - can't say the same for SJU.

Again, if one were receiving some kind of scholarship to go to NYLS, it's not a bad option at all for NYC, especially since said person probably would have a hard time gunning for NYU and Columbia.

O yeah, i know what you're saying, i just mean one needs to really do the research before taking that risk(which looks like u've done the necessary research)

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:33 pm

alimania wrote:
underdawg wrote:

Just to clear things up, 1) and 2) are supposed to be the same thing... what I meant by paying for law school not being a problem, is that many people are receiving some kind of scholarship and not paying full tuition!
Well, learn to number for next time. :roll:
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:45 pm

Quick info I just looked up

Wachtell (vault #1) attorneys:

Brooklyn: 0
Cardozo: 0
NYLS: 2
St John's: 0
Fordham: 4
(NYU and Columbia obviously have much more)

Cravath (v #2) attorneys:

NYLS 1
Brooklyn 5
Cardozo 5
St John's 3
Fordham 35 (wow!)

Sullivan (Vault #3) attorneys:

St. John's 5
NYLS 7
Fordham 9
Brooklyn 16
Cardozo 0? (It wasn't on their list of lawyers' schools --LinkRemoved-- )

OK, Cravath didn't look very good - Fordham has 35! But like I mentioned before, someone who can get into Fordham wouldn't consider NYLS. Compared to Dozo, Brooklyn and St John's, I would say in the top 3, NYLS does pretty good. It's certainly not the best (not by a long shot), but it doesn't deserve the negativity it gets.

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:54 am

NYLS gets a fair number into biglaw. There are certain law firms that like to hire from certain schools more than others (due to alums who are partner or connections with the career office).

I know Simpson likes St. Johns and Brooklyn. They have 16 from BLS.

I guess Sullivan also likes BLS judging by the numbers.

There are firms that do like to hire NYLS students. It just depends on how much they like their current associates from NYLS.

Then there are some firms that refused to take anyone from certain school for some reason. I guess they had a bad experience with a past associate. Sullivan didn't even list Cardozo as a school option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:22 am

aximpod wrote:NYLS gets a fair number into biglaw. There are certain law firms that like to hire from certain schools more than others (due to alums who are partner or connections with the career office).

I know Simpson likes St. Johns and Brooklyn. They have 16 from BLS.

I guess Sullivan also likes BLS judging by the numbers.

There are firms that do like to hire NYLS students. It just depends on how much they like their current associates from NYLS.

Then there are some firms that refused to take anyone from certain school for some reason. I guess they had a bad experience with a past associate. Sullivan didn't even list Cardozo as a school option.
Yea, I think that's pretty much true when talking about Cardozo, NYLS, Brooklyn, and St John's. Some firms prefer grads from one of these schools more than the others. However, when you get to Fordham, NYU, Columbia, it's no longer relevant.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:34 am

Edited for being a jerk...but my personal opinions remains that just because a few Biglaw firms hire from NYLS, that does not justify that vast expenditure needed to attend for all 3 years.

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:52 am

MTal wrote:Edited for being a jerk...but my personal opinions remains that just because a few Biglaw firms hire from NYLS, that does not justify that vast expenditure needed to attend for all 3 years.
Alright great. No reason to post in this thread then.

jamieonline

New

Post by jamieonline » Thu May 01, 2008 3:54 am

Working as a legal lawyer is one of the most lucrative career option.

I have previously been working voluntarily with a new york injury law firm (LinkRemoved), and the firm makes more than several millions a year :shock:

This is the reason why I am planning to get some law school degree so that I can become a professional lawyer too 8)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”