Boston University 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
vtjas81

New

Re: Boston University 2011

Post by vtjas81 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:11 pm

tamtam wrote:can anyone please tell me if BU confirm the student after they received the deposit. I haven't heard anything from them after I sent in my deposit, I'm starting to get worried..

I have not either. I wouldn't worry though

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:22 pm

Ok thank you. Have u started looking at housing yet?

jnw1184

New

Post by jnw1184 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:12 pm

I tried to think about housing, but I really didn't know where to live. There are a lot of neighborhoods around there. No idea where i'd wanna be.

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:45 pm

tamtam wrote:
Ok thank you. Have u started looking at housing yet?

I currently live in malden, which is just north of Boston. It is connected by the orange line. The commute from here to BU will be about 40 min. But the rent is cheap. I pay 1050 a month for a big one bedroom apartment. If you want to save money this a good place to live. My gf is going to Tufts dental which is in downtown Boston, so we plan on getting a apartment around there. A two bedroom around that area would be ~1600-1800 I believe. A three bedroom is a little over 2000. From downtown, it'll only take about a 15-20 min commute going to BU. I believe most people live in Allston though. But then you got a bunch of college kids and I kind of want to stay away from that. I suggest trying a broker if you want an easier time finding a place.

In conclusion, we still need to find a place. But at least we can check multiple listings out before choosing.

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:50 pm

I don't know when will be a good time to start looking though. I'm moving all the way from CA.. I've to move all my things here, and I'm not sure if I should find a place before I move, hence, I'll not be able to look at the place. Or go and stay in a hotel, find a place and then move from CA, and this way I've to travel twice, I'm sort of broke.

Any1 have any expereience moving acorss the nation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:51 pm

tamtam wrote:I don't know when will be a good time to start looking though. I'm moving all the way from CA.. I've to move all my things here, and I'm not sure if I should find a place before I move, hence, I'll not be able to look at the place. Or go and stay in a hotel, find a place and then move from CA, and this way I've to travel twice, I'm sort of broke.

There's no reason not to start looking now.

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 pm

tamtam wrote:I don't know when will be a good time to start looking though. I'm moving all the way from CA.. I've to move all my things here, and I'm not sure if I should find a place before I move, hence, I'll not be able to look at the place. Or go and stay in a hotel, find a place and then move from CA, and this way I've to travel twice, I'm sort of broke.

That must be scary moving across country. I'm sure you're a bit nervous.

Before I went to grad school in New York, I was living in Virginia. So I got some experience even though it was not cross country. If you plan on moving in August, it still might be too early. I know in New York, listings for apartments don't come out until a month or two before the apartment is to be vacated. I'm not sure about Boston, but I suggest you look at craigslist and the web for brokers. They can show you several apartments so it makes your trip much more worthwhile, possibly schedule with two brokers. Some brokers charge first months rent, some half month, and a few with no fee. Boston is pretty small so to get to BU should be pretty quick from anywhere in Boston. If you live west of BU, just make sure green line B is pretty close. Don't live too far west on green line B because traffic can suck. If you live east of BU, red, green(all), orange is fine. I'm assuming a <30 min commute for you isn't too big of deal.

Gus Chiggins

New

Post by Gus Chiggins » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:54 pm

I haven't really started looking yet. Although I have been looking on craig's list just for kicks. It seems like you can get a place near fenway or in allston for like 1000 for a 1 br and as low as 1500 for a 2br. One thing to consider is the cost of heat though. Someone told me to get an apt that includes the cost of heat because you can end up spending a ton of money on that in the winter.

tamtam.... my tour guide was from seattle. she said she flew in to boston 4 days before classes started knowing no one and found an apartment just fine. Not saying you should definitely do that, but i dont think there is too much pressure for you to find an apartment really soon.

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:47 am

Gus Chiggins wrote:I haven't really started looking yet. Although I have been looking on craig's list just for kicks. It seems like you can get a place near fenway or in allston for like 1000 for a 1 br and as low as 1500 for a 2br. One thing to consider is the cost of heat though. Someone told me to get an apt that includes the cost of heat because you can end up spending a ton of money on that in the winter.

tamtam.... my tour guide was from seattle. she said she flew in to boston 4 days before classes started knowing no one and found an apartment just fine. Not saying you should definitely do that, but i dont think there is too much pressure for you to find an apartment really soon.

1000 for a 1br? Seems a little unlikely to me. My friend lives near there and she pays 1200-1400. Are you talking about a studio? I've seen a cramped studio for 800-1000.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:20 am

thanks for all the responses.. actually I'll be withdrawing from BU tomorrow.. Got a phone call tonight from UCLA.. yay.. CA..

Undecided83

New

Post by Undecided83 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:58 am

tamtam wrote:can anyone please tell me if BU confirm the student after they received the deposit. I haven't heard anything from them after I sent in my deposit, I'm starting to get worried..
I sent mine in last Saturday - and my mother accidentally dropped the envelope in the wrong slot at the post office!!! I called them on Tuesday to explain, and they confirmed that they had already received it.

Undecided83

New

Post by Undecided83 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:06 am

I sent mine in last Saturday, but my mother accidentally dropped it in the wrong slot at the Post Office!!! I called them on Tuesday to explain that it could be delayed for that reason, and they confirmed that they had already received it

Undecided83

New

Post by Undecided83 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:11 am

How 'bout this one... I am from Mississippi, so I have a lot of my things there. I have been living/working in Panama for the last 20+ months, though, so I also have to figure out moving from Central America to Mississippi and THEN to Boston.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:41 am

Congrats tamtam!

Gus Chiggins

New

Post by Gus Chiggins » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 am

vtjas81 wrote:
Gus Chiggins wrote:I haven't really started looking yet. Although I have been looking on craig's list just for kicks. It seems like you can get a place near fenway or in allston for like 1000 for a 1 br and as low as 1500 for a 2br. One thing to consider is the cost of heat though. Someone told me to get an apt that includes the cost of heat because you can end up spending a ton of money on that in the winter.

1000 for a 1br? Seems a little unlikely to me. My friend lives near there and she pays 1200-1400. Are you talking about a studio? I've seen a cramped studio for 800-1000.
True, i meant studio.

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:46 pm

Kompressor wrote:Congrats tamtam!
thank you.. and BU is quite nice about it.. I called them this morning asking them not to deposit my check for the seat deposit. They said email them and they will void it.

Gus Chiggins

New

Post by Gus Chiggins » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:26 pm

with the nice weather these days, its becoming more and more difficult for me to make it to class. Even if i get off the waitlist at UCLA, with that weather im not sure it would be the best decision for me lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

overcastagain

New

Post by overcastagain » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:44 pm

That is true but I want to be able to study while lying out on the grass under the sun!! Oh wait, maybe falling asleep instead...

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Fenway Park >>> Sunny weather

overcastagain

New

Post by overcastagain » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:23 pm

You only say that because you don't live in an area that is "cloudy an average of 226 days per year" (source: Wikipedia)!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:24 pm

overcastagain wrote:You only say that because you don't live in an area that is "cloudy an average of 226 days per year" (source: Wikipedia)!
I'm from Maine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:56 pm

I can't help but lurk around in this thread, I guess I'm soo used to always checking what people have to say about BU--the school I "was" going to go.

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:22 pm

tamtam wrote:I can't help but lurk around in this thread, I guess I'm soo used to always checking what people have to say about BU--the school I "was" going to go.

Good luck at UCLA. That would have been my top choice if 1) I got accepted(still no word) and 2) My gf didn't go to Dental school here.

davefet

New

Post by davefet » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:41 am

I guess I should step up and represent, know what I mean? I'm pretty excited for everything about Boston, besides the cost of living.

Random question, anyone else planning on spending their last glorious summer playing GTA4?

Gus Chiggins

New

Post by Gus Chiggins » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:50 am

davefet wrote:I guess I should step up and represent, know what I mean? I'm pretty excited for everything about Boston, besides the cost of living.

Random question, anyone else planning on spending their last glorious summer playing GTA4?
absolutely

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”