NYU Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
underdawg

Silver

Re: NYU Law Class of 2011

Post by underdawg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:43 pm

lol yes, Legally Blonde is on the recommended movie list!
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:12 pm

wtf are we supposed to do with tuition bill i am confused, dont they just subtract it from your loans

walkmen

New

Post by walkmen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:18 pm

I called NYU a few weeks ago since my loan disbursal date is after the tuition bill due date. They said not to worry and that the unofficial due date for tuition is the first day of classes. Also, apparently they are automatically setting the Grad Plus loan amount to the total funds gap amount which is equal to the total semester student budget minus grants/scholarships and your stafford loan. If you want to reduce that amount then you have to email them.

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:34 pm

thats what I thought but gedmem confused me, bleh.

in re: no emails-- a lot of my NYU e-mails went to Yahoo Bulk folder -_-

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:02 pm

zeezoo wrote:wtf are we supposed to do with tuition bill i am confused, dont they just subtract it from your loans
you write "loans pending" on the bill and mail it in.

so do people arriving early want to meet up or something like people in other school threads seem to be doing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

urmom

New

Post by urmom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:52 am

walkmen wrote:I called NYU a few weeks ago since my loan disbursal date is after the tuition bill due date. They said not to worry and that the unofficial due date for tuition is the first day of classes. Also, apparently they are automatically setting the Grad Plus loan amount to the total funds gap amount which is equal to the total semester student budget minus grants/scholarships and your stafford loan. If you want to reduce that amount then you have to email them.
Where did you hear that? When I applied for Grad PLUS on the HESC site, I got to input the amount I want.

Maybe I'll call tomorrow.

Lyrrad

New

Post by Lyrrad » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:18 am

underdawg wrote: so do people arriving early want to meet up or something like people in other school threads seem to be doing?
Sounds like a good idea. I'll be moving in a week early on the Sat. Aug 16 into Mercer. We could have a TLS party that week :)

(Edit: Wrong move-in date)
Last edited by Lyrrad on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:05 am

TLS party sounds fun. I'm moving in starting the 14th, but I won't really be there till the wednesday before Orientation, so the 20th if anyone else is already there.

redacted

New

Post by redacted » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:28 pm

zeezoo wrote:wtf are we supposed to do with tuition bill i am confused, dont they just subtract it from your loans
I wondered the same. Not sure what to do about the housing bill either; hoping that just gets subtracted as well. (Anyone actually know?)

The loan application/disbursement/tracking process is beyond frustrating. Between NeedAccess, FAFSA, NYU bursar and financial aid office, HESC, CitiBank, The Student Loan Corporation (whoever the hell they are), and probably a couple other intermediary agencies I'm forgetting, I've probably filled out a half dozen various applications and have at least that many separate logins on various systems, each of which contains extremely critical information about the many thousands of dollars I'm either borrowing from someone or owing to someone. There's no reason any of this needs to be so complicated and obscure. Even a basic question like the one above is by no means obvious -- I spent about 45 minutes on the NYU bursar's site and my lender's site, trying to obtain some peace of mind that everything is in order, and I'm still nowhere near confident that it is. Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lyrrad

New

Post by Lyrrad » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:25 pm

redacted wrote:
The loan application/disbursement/tracking process is beyond frustrating. [...] I spent about 45 minutes on the NYU bursar's site and my lender's site, trying to obtain some peace of mind that everything is in order, and I'm still nowhere near confident that it is. Ugh.
Well I'm sure they deal with these sorts of issues every year. Just try your best to get it done, and don't be too frustrated since others are probably in your situation. If something goes wrong, they are very likely to be able to fix it.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:38 pm

So we're going to have headshots taken on the second day of orientation, right? How's everyone planning on dressing for that? Is a blazer over the top?

Olto

New

Post by Olto » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:15 pm

When I originally filled out my HESC form for Grad Plus, I put in the gap between the estimated cost and Stafford + my EFC (came to about $30k)... but then it got changed to just the gap between the estimated cost and Stafford (about $47k). I'm happy it did because some things changed and I need the extra money anyway! And if I had to fill out another app for a private loan, I'd probably go crazy.

Redacted: I filled out all my apps by the end of June / early July, but my Grad Plus loan showed up on my E-Bill yesterday. My Stafford loan took about a month to show up, even though I filled out both apps at roughly the same time. I too was freaking out but they assured me it would show up eventually. NYU is dealing with about 40,000 students, and since it's not a law school only system it takes a while to update. I'm sure it will all be fine. The financial aid office is easy to deal with and I'm sure that if something is wrong come the Wednesday we start classes, they'll help you out as best as they can. Good luck...

iceman

New

Post by iceman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:24 pm

So we're going to have headshots taken on the second day of orientation, right? How's everyone planning on dressing for that? Is a blazer over the top?
Are you worried about the fact that they say this photo may be sent to prospective employers later? I think they also say "with your permission" in paranthesis somewhere, so I am not worried about that. It is hot in NYC and I don't think I can take wearing even a light blazer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

VaultBound

Bronze

Post by VaultBound » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:26 pm

I'm going to try to do it on Saturday so I can at least wear a sport shirt or something. I think a blazer would be dressier considering the hectic and condensed nature of the orientation events.

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:58 pm

I think I read somewhere that you are not supposed to get too dressed up for the pictures. They are the pictures that professors may use to identify you on their seating charts. A polo shirt would be more than fine.

Lyrrad

New

Post by Lyrrad » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:12 pm

iceman wrote:
Are you worried about the fact that they say this photo may be sent to prospective employers later? I think they also say "with your permission" in paranthesis somewhere, so I am not worried about that. It is hot in NYC and I don't think I can take wearing even a light blazer.

Am I the only one who finds it weird that they may send our photos to employers? At my undergraduate university (in Canada), they specifically told us NOT to send photos with our resumes.

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:24 pm

underdawg wrote:
you write "loans pending" on the bill and mail it in.
TITCR. This is what is due on Monday (you can fax it).
zeezoo wrote:thats what I thought but gedmem confused me, bleh.
Sorry! Just a friendly reminder.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:40 pm

Lyrrad wrote: Am I the only one who finds it weird that they may send our photos to employers? At my undergraduate university (in Canada), they specifically told us NOT to send photos with our resumes.
I agree. I don't want to send in my photo because I think it opens too many doors for discrimination, but does that mean that I will be at a disadvantage without a picture?

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Lyrrad wrote:
iceman wrote:

Am I the only one who finds it weird that they may send our photos to employers? At my undergraduate university (in Canada), they specifically told us NOT to send photos with our resumes.
No, I thought it was weird as well, but if it's only being given to firms with whom we have interviews at OCI then perhaps its not so bad.

I guess I'll wear a decent collared shirt for the day.

aleph209

New

Post by aleph209 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:47 pm

dont worry so much about all this. its un-nyu-like....

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:37 pm

*wears tshirt tux*

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:49 am

^
gunner

afroette

New

Post by afroette » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:15 am

i don't get it. why is our section number top secret? how hard is it to randomly throw 90 people into 5 sections? is it really not so random? do they think if we know our section number one week before school we will somehow gain an advantage??

aleph209

New

Post by aleph209 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:55 pm

a lawyer friend suggested that its because they didn't want folks to worry about the work/books/reading before orientation and come in already worn out. plausible theory, given that the suggested summer reading/viewing list includes legally blond.

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:17 pm

Thank god they didn't put legally blonde 2. That would have been a tough assigment

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”