USC (Gould) - 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
spruance

New

Re: USC (Gould) - 2011

Post by spruance » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:09 am

Props. UCLA is a dope school and should be fun. The only bummer is that they are the buffalo bills of basketball....obviously I'm kidding. I don't blame you, though. I probably wouldn't want to spend undergrad and law school on the same campus.

Same for you tamtam - go for UCLA if you are in and like it. I think it sucks that you got jerked around at SC a bit. I wouldn't be too bummed, though, since you got into a school in LA that is great already.

Honestly, UCLA is great in a lot of ways and can be a better fit depending on the person. I have friends that went there for law school and have nothing but great things to say. I don't remember which programs, but I think there are some where UCLA, USC and Loyola students work together on projects. Personally, while I intend to be a part of SC law's community, I consider all the schools to be a part of a larger law student community.

rabidapplicant

New

Post by rabidapplicant » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Trojan Family in action:

--LinkRemoved--

jonny1031

New

Post by jonny1031 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:49 pm

Leonidas wrote:To all I have conversed with on this thread:

I have pretty much made my final decision: UCLA. Please know that this was one of the single, most difficult decisions that I have ever made. A combination of factors played in to my decision: location, finances, clerkship opportunities, and the aesthetics of the libraries. My decision to attend UCLA in no way shape or form is meant to cast a dim light on USC; frankly, I may have very well chosen to attend USC if I had not already spent my high school years near the area and my 4 years of Ugrad there. Gould is a wonderful school with amazing resources, professors, students, and alumni. I wish everyone attending much luck and an enjoyable 3 years. I shall be withdrawing shortly - hopefully that helps someone on this forum.

Best,
Leo

Remember: ή ταν ή επί τας.....
Leonidas! Congratulations on your decision to attend UCLA. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you around the area. Same to you tamtam (if you decide on UCLA). I had hoped that both of you would be a part of the 2011 Gould class, but like Spruance said, it's still nice to have you in the larger law community.

Phoenix Wright

New

Post by Phoenix Wright » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:04 pm

spruance wrote:Personally, while I intend to be a part of SC law's community, I consider all the schools to be a part of a larger law student community.
Awesome attitude! :D Although like Leonidas I'm heading for UCLA, I'd like to think in the larger sense we're all "classmates" no matter where we end up.

jonny1031

New

Post by jonny1031 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Where are people living? Rabid was saying that people think that the university housing is overpriced. Has anyone found any apartment complexes near the university that are both nice and affordable? Also, what are people thinking in terms of rooming situations? I feel like a single might be nice, especially for the first year, but rooming with another law student may not be so bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rabidapplicant

New

Post by rabidapplicant » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:05 pm

Every day I go back and forth from living in a studio by myself versus living with another law student. I have never lived by myself in college, always lived in a house with 3 other guys, so it would be a change...but I think i could use the peace and quiet in law school. I just worry that it might alienate me from some of my peers? I don't know how law school is, but living with people made making friends a hell of a lot easily in college...

spruance

New

Post by spruance » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:47 pm

USC apparently compiles a list that they will be sending out May/June so that you can figure out people to live with. I don't know any specifics, but it sounded like they attempt to compile people's interests or living patterns (night person, morning person,etc.) I don't know anything more, but I'm guessing it is for out of staters or out of towners so I haven't looked into it.

There is time to look, but I would guess that off-campus housing is better. Cheaper and you can stay in LA and work during the summer easily. I think uni. housing is only for the school year, though feel free to correct me.

If you are looking for yourself in LA, I think parts of downtown, north of USC, Koreatown, etc. have affordable options.

ellewoodsjd

New

Post by ellewoodsjd » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi! I just found this thread...I am currently an undergrad at USC and I am pretty sure that I will be attending USC Law in the fall (I am going to wait out a few waitlists). Anyways, I see that people are having questions about housing and I would be happy to answer them. I would NEVER live in campus housing, it is so overpriced and not nice at all. I would suggest to anyone that is not interested in campus housing to look at downtown apartment complexes and lofts. I currently live downtown and love it. Most apartments are reasonably priced and have full amenities (i.e. pool, gym). The drive to campus isn't bad either, it usually takes 5-10 minutes and a campus parking pass is only $350/semester. Here is a link to some of the nicer/more popular complexes downtown http://www.ladowntownapts.com/. I live in the Medici and it is really nice/quiet and alot of USC students live here. Let me know if anyone has any questions about housing in the area

Schuyler

New

Post by Schuyler » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:59 am

I would strongly recommend to all Gould '11 to live in either North university park (the area just above the main campus where the vast majority of students live), or downtown.

Commuting in from another part of LA makes little sense unless you have a really good reason to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nobrainer

New

Post by nobrainer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:48 pm

So what's the availability of these non-USC housing places now? I imagine that many of them have been leased out for students attending next school year, especially the ones that are most popular w/ students. Do you guys know how likely it is to get a spot in places like yours, ellewoodsjd?

Also, I just heard from my mom that I got mail about housing yesterday.

I wonder if it's non-USC housing, will they try to match u up w/ a compatible roommate in law school and give you the contact info for getting together and finding a spot?

Thanks for your insider info, guys.

ellewoodsjd

New

Post by ellewoodsjd » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:07 pm

There are plenty of available apartments in the downtown area, although apartments within walking distance of campus fill up very quickly. There are also really nice lofts in the downtown area, I know that there is a website with links to alot of loft "complexes," I will look for it a post the link if I find it.

I haven't heard if the school will be helping students find roommates/non-university housing, hopefully they will be doing that, especially for everyone coming from out of state.

Have any of you guys decided where you will be living?

rabidapplicant

New

Post by rabidapplicant » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 am

downtown, lofts or studio? I just don't know if I would be able to handle a roommate next year?!? I imagine two law students in an apartment could get a little stressful... :?

Schuyler

New

Post by Schuyler » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:02 am

Here's the best insider info you could possibly get.

1: Try to get a place in North University Park.

2: Buy a fucking bike, and don't think that you are too cool to use it. There are literally thousands of grad students wasting 30 minutes a day by walking from their apartments to class instead of biking. A walk that may take 15 minutes will take 4 minutes on a bike. This is SOCAL; you can bike EVERY day of the year. The number of apparently intelligent grad students who are too proud to hop on a bike because bikes are 'immature' is ridiculous. NO!!! biking does not make you less 'cool' -- it makes you smarter, because you are saving a half an hour a day. It's not UCLA; there are no hills.

[/rant]

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rabidapplicant

New

Post by rabidapplicant » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:32 am

Schuyler wrote:Here's the best insider info you could possibly get.

1: Try to get a place in North University Park.

2: Buy a fucking bike, and don't think that you are too cool to use it. There are literally thousands of grad students wasting 30 minutes a day by walking from their apartments to class instead of biking. A walk that may take 15 minutes will take 4 minutes on a bike. This is SOCAL; you can bike EVERY day of the year. The number of apparently intelligent grad students who are too proud to hop on a bike because bikes are 'immature' is ridiculous. NO!!! biking does not make you less 'cool' -- it makes you smarter, because you are saving a half an hour a day. It's not UCLA; there are no hills.

[/rant]
1. Is North University Park a party area where its gets loud a lot of the time? I come from a pure college town where certain areas you cannot live unless you are willing to be up to 3 or 4 with the drunk people.

2. i can't believe this...why would anyone think riding a bike is immature? It's the eco-friendly thing to do on our campus and nearly everyone owns/rides a bike...

ellewoodsjd

New

Post by ellewoodsjd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:59 pm

I wouldn't recommend living in the apartments around campus ("North University Park"). It is a very social atmosphere (i.e. loud, drunk, undergrad residents) especially the complexes near the Row. Also, most of the apartments are disgusting. I know that alot of the law students that live within walking distance of campus live in houses on the West side of Vermont which is a much more residential community, but it isn't exactly the safest area to live near campus. I really think that for people that do not know the area, and who do not want to live in university housing, the best option is downtown.

jonny1031

New

Post by jonny1031 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:32 pm

yeah, so i'm leaning towards rabid's idea of a loft or a studio apartment for 1. are there any decent and moderately priced places near the campus where I could ride my eco-friendly bike to class in the morning? are people using the USC law links to look for housing or just relying on craigslist? I haven't started looking yet and probably will wait till June when I can scope out the area first-hand.

rabidapplicant

New

Post by rabidapplicant » Thu May 01, 2008 2:15 am

I was looking at a bunch of loft/studio places downtown and then went to apartmentratings.com and every one of them got horrible reviews (not one good one besides the obvious ones from landlords). I wonder if this is unrepresentative because of self-selection? Still, it seemed pretty grim and the complaints were all similar.

Any hope for a reasonably priced loft in downtown where it would be reasonable for a law student to live in? Or should I just head to Koreatown or Culver City....

Anyone else found any reasonable lofts? I am coming from the east coast so if people have already looked at places, give me your thoughts!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ellewoodsjd

New

Post by ellewoodsjd » Sat May 03, 2008 7:04 pm

Rabid, what price range are you looking at? You can get a loft/studio for about $1500/month downtown, I don't know if there is anything cheaper than that that isn't in a shady neighborhhod.

spruance

New

Post by spruance » Sun May 04, 2008 5:11 pm

studio for 1500? that is a lot, even in LA. I pay about that for 2 bedroom/2 bathroom place on the westside.

there are better options in koreatown or echo park and you won't be that far. check craigslist - there always seem to be random things popping up.

jonny1031

New

Post by jonny1031 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:06 pm

is anyone thinking of doing the law preview this summer? USC seems to encourage it, but people on this board have pretty overwhelmingly written off these prep courses. what do you guys think?

rabidapplicant

New

Post by rabidapplicant » Sun May 11, 2008 12:46 am

jonny1031 wrote:is anyone thinking of doing the law preview this summer? USC seems to encourage it, but people on this board have pretty overwhelmingly written off these prep courses. what do you guys think?
I feel reading law school confidential and "getting to maybe" will be sufficient? I just can't afford a law preview that costs in the thousands....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rabidapplicant

New

Post by rabidapplicant » Thu May 15, 2008 9:39 am

For those familiar with LA, how is the area of Echo Park? Is it straight ghetto, nice, security issues?

spruance

New

Post by spruance » Thu May 15, 2008 9:03 pm

Echo Park is fine - its been gentrified for years by hipsters. Right next to Silverlake as well which is fine as well. Some small security issues if you are stupid and/or not used to a city.

Plus it is next to Dodger Stadium, which obviously rules.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Sat May 17, 2008 11:42 am

In at USC today, pretty excited about it. I'm coming from Massachusetts so I think I'll definitely be applying for Terrace. Less than 1k for a fairly nice apartment close to campus with all utilities included is a pretty good deal.

rabidapplicant

New

Post by rabidapplicant » Sat May 17, 2008 11:58 am

SenatorDoherty wrote:In at USC today, pretty excited about it. I'm coming from Massachusetts so I think I'll definitely be applying for Terrace. Less than 1k for a fairly nice apartment close to campus with all utilities included is a pretty good deal.
Congrats! :D I'm coming from the east coast too, although I'm looking around for apartments right now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”