FLORIDA STATE U. COLLEGE OF LAW CLASS OF 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
mtk04

New

Re: FLORIDA STATE U. COLLEGE OF LAW CLASS OF 2011

Post by mtk04 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:42 pm

I went to admitted students day, and if the organization/professional & welcoming atmosphere/students & professors/ kick ass weather are anything like orientation, it can only be good. We had breakfast in the entrance with some professors and students, followed by welcome speech from the dean, and from there they had a bunch of forums and sessions for externships, study abroad (oxford!), different law specialties, followed by a tour of downtown. They ended the day by going to Andrew's bar & grill, which was fun. So I would expect something similar, with more emphasis on the details of 1L courses.

I'm pumped, can't wait to meet all of you

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:57 pm

I plan to apply so I can start meeting people and getting acclimated to the law school. I don't really think the orientation will help out all that much as far as academics but I hope it will help me get immersed in the school. Also, coming from out of state and knowing no one, I think it would be a good chance for me to begin meeting people before the regular 1L orientation.

Quaildogie

New

Post by Quaildogie » Fri May 02, 2008 10:29 am

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. For everyone that didn't go to undergrad at FSU I can honestly say you're going to have the best time. If anyone is in tally this summer, let me know and I will show you around.

lwsch30

New

Post by lwsch30 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:01 am

I guess I will be attending FSU this fall. Does anybody know what to expect now that seat deposits are paid?

schnoo

New

Post by schnoo » Mon May 05, 2008 10:24 pm

ANYONE AROUND TAMPA BAY WANNA DRIVE UP TOGETHER?? SAVE ON THE CRAZY GAS BILLS??? (tampa, FL here)
I am almost going to put down my deposit for FSU (extended deadline)... I have to weigh this vs UF.

I HIGHLY doubt there are THAT many great internships in the state legislature/capitol buildings/etc. (someone please prove me wrong, but FSU's "ships" page doesn't add up to much vs. the total student body)

I wonder what the realistic numbers are for getting exposure to different state depts., since those 1st summer jobs will be based almost solely on 1L grades.

I think there are some things you can get involved in after first-semester, but we'll see. I am already gunning to make a POWERHOUSE study group (more bright perspectives hopefully means more chances for success).

Happy home-hunting!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Mon May 05, 2008 10:41 pm

I would probably disagree with thinking that there aren't many internships. The capital being there brings many other organization, dep'ts, firms, etc. that I would say compliment one another.

Also, a big benefit of being right near the capital and all that it entails is the Externships - which are plentiful (given that you are motivated and willing to put in the time and effort to secure yourself one down the road)

mtk04

New

Post by mtk04 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:47 am

Last edited by mtk04 on Tue May 13, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelly05

New

Post by rkelly05 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:21 pm

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:11 pm

For those of you who are admitted and have paid your deposit, have you recieved any info at all from fsu. I'm starting to get nervous that they are sending any info to the wrong address or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Sun May 11, 2008 9:50 am

Nope... they don't send anything :(. Or if they are, I am not getting it.

By the way, I visited Tallahassee this past Thursday (and drove back the same day (12 hours of driving :twisted: ) and I have switched from Florida Towers to Polos on Park lol. It is much nicer and cheaper since I will be rooming with someone.

So to anywhere looking for apartments, I definitely recommend Polos on Park

Arredondo

New

Post by Arredondo » Mon May 12, 2008 7:07 pm

I haven't received anything lately from FSU but I did send them two copies of my final transcripts.

Everlast, I am also living at Polos on Park. I saw some recommendations for it on Facebook and it seems like quite a few law students live there.

mtk04

New

Post by mtk04 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:13 pm

i received an email yesterday, no new information, just a general message

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed May 14, 2008 10:16 am

I'm not attending FSU Law, but I'm an FSU grad and have lived in Tallahassee for 10 years (as a police officer here for almost 5), so if anyone wants area or housing input, PM me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kd

New

Post by kd » Wed May 14, 2008 11:22 pm

mtk04 wrote:i received an email yesterday, no new information, just a general message
Me too. I got all excited, then realized it was extremely generic, and mostly info I'd already received. Headed to Tally on Saturday and am hoping to sign a lease then. Yay! It's coming fast.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Thu May 15, 2008 9:16 am

In the off chance that anyone moving to Tallahassee is looking to buy a house, I happen to be selling one. It's a 3/2 on .4 acres in the NW part of the city (across the street from Lake Jackson) in a quiet, non-student neighborhood.

kd

New

Post by kd » Mon May 19, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm moving into the Chateau. I'm excited. I'm starting the application process and all of that now. I'll be moving Aug. 1.

KRS1

New

Post by KRS1 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:49 am

Finally in off the "hold" list today! :D

I was just checking out Polos on Park on their website. Looks pretty nice but how far of a drive is it from there to the law buildings?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arredondo

New

Post by Arredondo » Thu May 22, 2008 12:15 am

KRS1 wrote:Finally in off the "hold" list today! :D

I was just checking out Polos on Park on their website. Looks pretty nice but how far of a drive is it from there to the law buildings?
It's about 3 miles away and takes probably about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. It's actually a pretty cool drive if you take Apalachee Parkway towards the campus because that road heads right towards the state capitol building. I thought it was a nice view.

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:22 pm

is anyone planning on doing the one week orientation program prior to the start of classes?

fsusba

New

Post by fsusba » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Will Hall, and I am President of the Student Bar Association at FSU Law. I just stumbled upon this site completely by accident, but it is great that there are so many of you who are excited about coming to FSU. Congratulations on your decision to attend our law school, and welcome to the family.

If any of you have any questions about the law school, Tallahassee, or anything else, please email me at wdh06@fsu.edu. Also, check out SBA's website (http://www.fsustudentbar.com) to find out what we do and how you can become a member. The more of you who join, the more socials and other great events we will be able to put on next year. Also, we will be sending out our "Guide to Tallahassee" very soon to help ease your transition to our fair city (and my hometown). It will be posted on our website, and you should also receive it via email. There is currently an apartment guide posted on our site that hopefully will help any of you still looking for housing.

Congrats again, and I look forward to meeting you all.

Will

cgbyrne

New

Post by cgbyrne » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:06 pm

Whats up everybody,

Ill be joining you at FSU this fall. Glad to see a lot of enthusiasm here. Anybody else living at Collegewood right across form the law school? Thats where Ill be staying. Ive heard good and bad things but at least its close. Im planning on gettin down to Tally by 1st week of August.

Ill be glad to meet and party with anybody thats down there. Feel free to call me at 631-774-9942 or email me at cgbyrne34@gmail.com or facebook if your into that sort of thing http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1145568562

Enjoy the rest of your summer. go noles

Colin

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ninja1

New

Post by Ninja1 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:12 pm

I'll be there this fall. Can't wait.

Is living in Ragans Hall a good idea? And for that matter, is anyone else planning to live on campus?

Go Noles.

biglawhopeful

New

Post by biglawhopeful » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:34 pm

Hey Everyone! Future 1L at FSU law like the rest of you, and looking forward to it. The law school campus/facilities was honestly the best of any I have seen, or at the very least among the nicest. Tally definitely has it all as far as an awesome law school, range of firms, access to government etc. Oh, and lets not forget about the vaunted party seen haha.

I am also going to be living at Collegewood apartments. Good rates for a single, and you cant beat the location (right across the street from the law school).

I live in NY and will not be in Tally until around August 13-15. Is anyone going to the orientation on the 13th? Many law school grads said that the non-mandatory orientation is not very useful, but I wanted to check and see who plans on going.

If anyone wants info on Collegewood or to hang out in early August email me at ajc08g@fsu.edu

-Alex

Twilight

New

Post by Twilight » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:55 pm

bump

Hope to be part of the FSU 2012 thread

green918

New

Post by green918 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi guys,
I am applying to Fsu law in the fall. It is my #1 choice because I want to stay in state and it seems to be the best bang for my buck. I am really disappointed with my 159 Lsat score, though I know it is in range for the school. I am wondering whether or not it would be worth my time to retest in October given my other info:
B.A. in English from the University of Florida
3.9 gpa
Work experience all through college

Any advice is really appreciated!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”