FLORIDA STATE U. COLLEGE OF LAW CLASS OF 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
E\/ERLAST

New

Re: FLORIDA STATE U. COLLEGE OF LAW CLASS OF 2011

Post by E\/ERLAST » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:09 am

FSU should pay you for advertising. You are a great spokesperson. :D
They should! They better in the form of a scholarship lol. I am just trying to get people to look past the U.S. News Ranking of 55. It is ridiculous how many people look at that and only that.

Hmmmm when I go up there I'll have to check out those areas. I have only looked up Florida Towers and a couple others. But I know Florida Towers is literally right across from the law school, which means walking distance and no worries about parking. When I go up this Friday I am gonna have to do some serious scouting as I want to get a pre-lease down as soon as possible.

I most likely will not stay in that apartment complex (if I do at all) for all three years. I will probably move to somewhere a little bit nicer for the next two years. Hopefully I will meet some people who are willing to room together and I'll get some place nice. We shall see though!!

kd

New

Post by kd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:09 am

E\/ERLAST wrote: Hmmmm when I go up there I'll have to check out those areas. I have only looked up Florida Towers and a couple others. But I know Florida Towers is literally right across from the law school, which means walking distance and no worries about parking. When I go up this Friday I am gonna have to do some serious scouting as I want to get a pre-lease down as soon as possible.
Let me know what you think of the apartments in the area. I'm trying to plan a budget, so I know how much I should take out in personal loans. LOL. :D

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Yeah, I'd like to know if you see any good apartments as well. Florida Towers is convienent but they don't look all too nice. I'm about 1500 miles from tallahassee so its pretty tough finding an apartment. Hopefully I can get down there in a few weeks.

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:56 pm

chris888777 wrote:Yeah, I'd like to know if you see any good apartments as well. Florida Towers is convienent but they don't look all too nice. I'm about 1500 miles from tallahassee so its pretty tough finding an apartment. Hopefully I can get down there in a few weeks.
I agree, they do not look nice at all, but I feel the benefit of being close to the school and the library will outweigh the aesthetic considerations. Plus! maybe there are some hidden benefits: by not liking my apartment, I will be forced to study at the library more often! Plus more! I have lived in some pretty crappy places, so I am not hard to please lol. :twisted:

When I am down there and collect some information I'll see if I can't send you some info about nearby apartments.

kd

New

Post by kd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Hey, if any of you guys are on Facebook, there's two groups for FSU Law Class of 2011.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6165507007

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10036173484

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:09 pm

kd wrote:Hey, if any of you guys are on Facebook, there's two groups for FSU Law Class of 2011.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6165507007

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10036173484
Facebook is the devil's work! :twisted:

kd

New

Post by kd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:52 pm

E\/ERLAST wrote:
Facebook is the devil's work! :twisted:
Why do you say that? Didn't know you had such strong feelings about it. Just putting it out there if anyone is interested. :|

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:38 pm

lol I am just messing with you. Its a really good resource, I am just too lazy to keep on top of it. I actually have an account so I will probably end up joining it lol, I just don't ever go on it :?

Thanks kd! Forgot to say that part on the other post :)

mtk04

New

Post by mtk04 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:08 am

Like I said, I currently live in Tally Town, and I personally love it here. Its a big enough city but not overwhelming, perfect for law school as I call the city "The commonwealth of Florida law firms". No joke, firms of all shapes and sizes occupy the bulk of downtown, and if its not a firm, its and gov. agency, court, or branch of the government. Downtown reminds me of Charleston, old style brick and colonial American architecture with a modern twist I would say. That being said, Tally is not in Florida, its southern Georgia (about 15 mins south of the boarder). Hence the trees and vegetation are far more lush than most of Florida and its a very hilly city, which is nice if your used to flat southern or coastal Florida, at least in my opinion.

Don't listen to UF kids purporting to call all of Tally a “dump”, I mean Gainesville is a called the swamp for more than its mascot. As for the city being a dump, well it is- that is if you live on the side of the town that some students live because its so cheap where the strips, pawn shops, and affordable housing are located. Tallahassee is a twofold city of less well off uneducated (sorry) individuals and more wealthy professionals and bureaucrats. There’s not much of a "middle" here. Hence, half the city is run down and poor and gross and the other half is very clean, professional, modern, lush greens trees, and well kept. Also it's occupied with Spanish moss on the native trees, not weeping willows. The law school is at the very heart of Tallahassee where the two halves of the city intersect downtown. You will see exactly what I mean if you visit here. This is a good area to find affordable apartments, but I would suggest getting here ASAP to find one that suits you (they fill up fast). Many of the law students live at a complex called "polos by the Park" so you can look that up. DON'T ISOLATE YOURSELF!!! Live with people in your situation who study, but want to have fun. The coolest bars, in my opinion, are downtown which are far more up scale than the undergrad strips, which are still fun for me (i'm 22). From what I understand you join the student bar association when you get to law school here for $100, and they set up weekly socials at these bars downtown.

I like the houses on the nicer side of town. Not the Mansion areas were the lawyers and bureaucrats live, but where some very nice and reasonably affordable houses (500- 600) are located down appalachee, thomasville, or Monroe streets. Anyways I will be attending ASD this friday, see ya'll there!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:18 am

Polos at the Park - I looked it up and it looks very nice. I still feel like living literally across the street (which I am sure is inhabited by 75% of law students) might personally benefit me.

I have looked at some pictures and Florida Towers Apartments is the largest at 700 sq. ft. - not bad. One of the others (there are like 5 all in a row) is 350 sq ft. (it is an old hotel turned into an apartment complex).

However, that Polos on the Park, with its pool, hot tub, billiards table and bar area do look awfully tempting. Reasonably cheap too for the single apartment - 850. One big question - are they fully furnished? or do you have to buy milk crates?

Here is the link to the apartment complex's: http://www.tallahassee-apts.com/

mtk04

New

Post by mtk04 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:57 pm

Evalast- I'm not sure if they are fully furnished. I too am in the camp of trying to find an apartment or house really close to campus. Hell, with the amount of money I'm saving by going to FSU and the relative cost of housing here, I really don't care to much about the price, as long as its a reasonably decent location. You can be living pretty large if you throw down 700-900 a month- but try doing that in DC, Atlanta, Southern Cal, NYC or any other big city- 900 will get you shit.

I'm still looking for a good spot around campus that is ideal for a law student...

anyone have any other suggestions about housing at FSU law?

jordanfsu

New

Post by jordanfsu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm definitely going. FYI, You can sign up for the roommate referral program if you're looking for law school roommates: http://www.law.fsu.edu/current_students ... index.html

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:05 pm

Do you guys know how far away polo at the park is from FSU?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Tricky... not gonna lie... have no idea what you are talking about lol

chris888777 wrote:Do you guys know how far away polo at the park is from FSU?
I went to mapquest and they put it about 3.5 miles away with an estimated time of 8 minutes - of course depending on traffic.

rkelly05

New

Post by rkelly05 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:30 am

I like mtk live in Tally right now and figured I'd give my two cents on the housing situation here. First off you really do need to have a car in Tallahassee, public transit isnt great but doable if you have no other option, i say this because if you have a car you no matter where you live in Tallahassee you can get to the law school in 10mins, its not a very big town so I wouldnt be too concerned with how far you live from the school, sure it might be great to wake up and walk a minute to school but the places around the law school (i.e. Florida Towers) arent great. My next opinion is there are two types of apartments in town ones for undergrads and ones not for undergrads, and there are alot more of apts geared towards undergrad, dont get me wrong there are plenty of apts for those not attending the school but there harder to find being as they dont advertise as much and are usually further from the law school. If you have any other questions or want my opinion on certain apts PM me or something, because personally some of the places up here can be very deceiving (liek University Lofts don't live there). Like i said if you have any ??? hit me up.

jordanfsu

New

Post by jordanfsu » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:51 am

I'm a business major at FSU specializing in real estate so if anyone wants opinions on apartments, let me know. I just did an apartment complex appraisal so I've seen just about all of them and have them all in a pdf with demographics, etc.

kd

New

Post by kd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:45 pm

jordanfsu wrote:I'm a business major at FSU specializing in real estate so if anyone wants opinions on apartments, let me know. I just did an apartment complex appraisal so I've seen just about all of them and have them all in a pdf with demographics, etc.
I'm interested in any and all apartments that are cheap and within walking distance of the law school. Got any info?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jordanfsu

New

Post by jordanfsu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:51 pm

kd wrote:
jordanfsu wrote:I'm a business major at FSU specializing in real estate so if anyone wants opinions on apartments, let me know. I just did an apartment complex appraisal so I've seen just about all of them and have them all in a pdf with demographics, etc.
I'm interested in any and all apartments that are cheap and within walking distance of the law school. Got any info?
These are all really close:
- Collegewood
- College Plaza
- Florida Towers
- Jefferson Arms
- Jefferson Towers

Info here: http://www.tallahassee-apts.com/

Because they're so close, they're not "cheap" for Tallahassee, but they're cheap depending on where you're from. I think the range is $590 - $620 for a 1/1

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Got back from visiting FSU Law yesterday - loved it. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the admitted students day due to a semi-emergency with a friend. However, I was able to put in my application for Florida Towers - the apartment right across from the school. I toured a room and it was quite spacious, so I am pretty much set on that. Anybody else movin in that area?

How was the mock trial presentation?

kd

New

Post by kd » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:18 pm

E\/ERLAST wrote:Got back from visiting FSU Law yesterday - loved it. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the admitted students day due to a semi-emergency with a friend. However, I was able to put in my application for Florida Towers - the apartment right across from the school. I toured a room and it was quite spacious, so I am pretty much set on that. Anybody else movin in that area?

How was the mock trial presentation?
Florida Towers does seem ideal, unfortunately, they are not pet friendly and I have a dog. :(

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Yah there is only one apartment complex by phoenix management (the company who owns Florida Towers) that allows pets, and I think it is pretty crappy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kd

New

Post by kd » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:12 pm

E\/ERLAST wrote:Yah there is only one apartment complex by phoenix management (the company who owns Florida Towers) that allows pets, and I think it is pretty crappy.
That's what I've heard. Plus, it's not that I'm that picky, but I heard those apartments are approximately the size of a large closet. No thanks. It's cool though, I found a few other places close to the school that allow pets. I'm trying to get some more info before I go visit.

boilerlaw

New

Post by boilerlaw » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Can anyone give me a lead on apartments that allow dogs (black lab) and are still nice? I'll be visiting Tally for the first time the first week of May to scope out the area. Also, does anyone plan on getting football tickets?

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm in the same situation as you boilerlaw as I can't visit tallahassee until the middle of may to look for apts. Yes, i def plan on getting tickets. I think i'll probably get season tickets so I get to the florida game.

ryantep23

New

Post by ryantep23 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:43 pm

Getting tickets to football games are easy and buying season tickets would be almost a waste of what little money some of us have. Everybody that is student gets coupons at the start of the semester to the football games. They are free. A week before the game they hold a online drawing were people get reservation numbers. Then a few days before the game you arrive with your coupon for that weeks game and when they call your number you give them your coupon. Blocks are always called first then individual tickets. Chances are the law school will have there own block so all one will have to do is give the coupons to the right person. In my four years here for undergrad I have always gotten tickets to all the games.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”