Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
bowandarrow20

New

Re: Loyola Law School (L.A.) - Class of 2011

Post by bowandarrow20 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Since it's only "tentative" everyone pressure them to move it back a week! I replied asking them if that's possible and haven't received a response yet. :lol:

json

New

Post by json » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:38 pm

date and time?

btw anyone looking to find a place to live should consider the palms area.

hope

New

Post by hope » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:08 pm

I attended one of the admitted students days 2 weeks ago and they said financial aid packages would be sent out in 1 to 2 weeks, so they should arrive any day now.

As for gym info., another suggestions for people living in the Hollywood area is the Y. It's nice and only around $40/month.

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Here are two places that I saw. There may be better deals on Craiglist list, but like I said before, stuff that's available on Craigslist now isn't probably going to be available come August. Both places are roughly $1800 per month for a double. That's better cheap to other places I was looking at (and it falls within the range Loyola says you should pay for an apartment).

--LinkRemoved--
http://nohocollection.reachlocal.com/co ... hlocal.net

And here are some other places I found. These are either more expensive or I couldn't find a price for them.
http://www.rancholosfeliz.com/index.asp
--LinkRemoved--
http://www.altavistaapthomes.com/
http://www.essexatmiraclemile.com/4/Apa ... alifornia/

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:31 pm

Hey, did anyone get their financial aid award letter? I got my scholarship offer about a week after I got my acceptance letter and then I just got my fin aid award letter today that lists the loans for which I qualify. It says that before they can send me an Official Award Letter, they need me to submit the "LLS Application for financial aid - Entering." I can't find that anywhere. I can find the one for Continuing students, but not entering students.

Also, has anyone spoken with banks about loans yet? They have a list of preferred lenders on the lls fin aid site, but I don't know what the standard precedure is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PeanutButterJellyTIME

New

Post by PeanutButterJellyTIME » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:23 am

I am pretty much right where you're at RoyalJ, and heres the link to what i filled out:

https://technology.lls.edu/finaid/

I filled out my fafsa a long time ago and i basically googled what it asked for in the letter, I hope this is it and if you get word otherwise keep me updated. Oh, and I only found the dumb summer award for continuing students. No loan info but keep me up on what you find.

PBJtime

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:08 am

Good luck Loyola folks!

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:49 am

PeanutButterJellyTIME wrote:I am pretty much right where you're at RoyalJ, and heres the link to what i filled out:

I filled out my fafsa a long time ago and i basically googled what it asked for in the letter, I hope this is it and if you get word otherwise keep me updated. Oh, and I only found the dumb summer award for continuing students. No loan info but keep me up on what you find.

PBJtime
Yes, I think this is it. I searched pretty hard for it last night, but now it seems to be up on their regular financial aid page under the "about your award letter." I was on this page yesterday and didn't see it. Either they have updated it today or I missed it as I was following the Dodger game. Thanks!

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:52 am

Which lender are people going with by the way? Citibank seems to have a decent grace period. Do we need to speak with the lender prior to selecting them on the Loyola Fin Aid application? Ugh . . . . debt, not looking forward to it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:58 am

I'm going with CitiBank because they did all my Ugrad stuff, so I think it'd be easier to pay one massive bill monthly instead of 3 to 4 big bills every month.

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Any else just get these emails from LLS?

Email 1
We have completed a preliminary review of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) record. Based on this review, we have determined your eligibility for financial aid at the Law School. The types and amounts of financial aid you are eligible to receive are listed on your Estimated Award Letter. Your Estimated Award Letter also indicates what additional documents(s) are needed before an Official Award Letter can be sent to you. Attached you will find a sample award letter to asist you in understanding your award(s). We will begin to mail Official Award Letters in June.
Email 2
The Office of Financial Aid began mailing Estimated Award Letters during the first week of April. If you have not yet received your Estimated Award Letter it is most likely because you did not complete a 2008-2009 FAFSA, listing Loyola Law School. It's not too late to do so! You can access the FAFSA by clicking here. Loyola Law School's code is E00254. If you believe that you successfully completed the FAFSA, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 213.736.1140 so that we can research your file.
I'm sure everyone got the second email. I haven't gotten my letter yet, but my campus mail sucks, so that's expected. My question is who else got this and with the first email, did you get your award letter? I just thought it was an odd email to supplement what's going to be in the mail. Then again, it does save paper and probably a good amount on postage.

I'm also going to post this again. If you want to check your credit report, go to this link. It's a federal government site that will not charge you for checking your credit report (one free check per year). This will save you $30+ and if you're like me, that's money you need right now.

missmdm

New

Post by missmdm » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Last edited by missmdm on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:23 pm

miss, are you joining us as well? if so, i'll add you to the list.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:43 pm

PeanutButterJellyTIME wrote:I am pretty much right where you're at RoyalJ, and heres the link to what i filled out:

PBJtime
I'm confused, are we suppose to fill this out, even though we already filled out the FAFSA? or are we suppose to wait until we receive the award letter and use that to accept.

bowandarrow20

New

Post by bowandarrow20 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:43 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:Any else just get these emails from LLS?

Email 1
We have completed a preliminary review of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) record. Based on this review, we have determined your eligibility for financial aid at the Law School. The types and amounts of financial aid you are eligible to receive are listed on your Estimated Award Letter. Your Estimated Award Letter also indicates what additional documents(s) are needed before an Official Award Letter can be sent to you. Attached you will find a sample award letter to asist you in understanding your award(s). We will begin to mail Official Award Letters in June.
Email 2
The Office of Financial Aid began mailing Estimated Award Letters during the first week of April. If you have not yet received your Estimated Award Letter it is most likely because you did not complete a 2008-2009 FAFSA, listing Loyola Law School. It's not too late to do so! You can access the FAFSA by clicking here. Loyola Law School's code is E00254. If you believe that you successfully completed the FAFSA, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 213.736.1140 so that we can research your file.
I'm sure everyone got the second email. I haven't gotten my letter yet, but my campus mail sucks, so that's expected. My question is who else got this and with the first email, did you get your award letter? I just thought it was an odd email to supplement what's going to be in the mail. Then again, it does save paper and probably a good amount on postage.

I'm also going to post this again. If you want to check your credit report, go to this link. It's a federal government site that will not charge you for checking your credit report (one free check per year). This will save you $30+ and if you're like me, that's money you need right now.

I have received email 2, but not email 1, and awaitng my information still =\

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:57 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote: Email 1
Are they going to mail us the estimated letter or is it online? also when do we fill out the application located at: https://technology.lls.edu/finaid/ ?

hope

New

Post by hope » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:02 pm

You'll receive an estimated letter in the mail

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:04 pm

bowandarrow20 wrote:
snowboarder2713 wrote:Any else just get these emails from LLS?

Email 1
Email 2

I have received email 2, but not email 1, and awaitng my information still =\

I received both emails at the same time, I'm guessing one was sent for those to whom preliminary awards were sent.

RoyalJordan

New

Post by RoyalJordan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:11 pm

missmdm wrote:Also, in terms of living, Palms is too far and and the commute will be miserable. I'd do Silverlake/Echo park instead. Craigslist is great for finding apartments, stick to "Central LA/213/323" when you look. One bedrooms are anywhere from 1000-2000, depending on location and amenities, so keep that in mind. I would stay away from any kind of high-rise type apartment (unless you like living with 100 other people in a building) and use http://www.westsiderentals.com if Craigslist bums you out or doesn't deliver. If at all possible, get a map and drive around where you want to live- a lot of places don't advertise on EITHER since apartments get snatched up so quickly so they simply put a sign out front. Since the housing market is so rough in LA right now, I'd recommend looking early and keep in mind that most places go on the market and come off within a few days. Seriously.

PM me if you have any other LA centered questions. :)
I would agree that Palms probably isn't your best bet. It will be cheaper than some areas, but you could probably find better quality housing in North Hollywood for the same price and the commute wouldn't be much worse and they have metro stops there.

I'd recommend, like Miss, Silverlake/Echo Park/Los Feliz. I'm over in the westside which is a different vibe, but nice, it depends on what you want. It does tend to be more expensive though, but deals can be found. For non-local people, I'd really spend some time driving the different areas and speaking with any friends you might have around here to see where you would fit in best.

I would try craigslist before looking at westside rentals, because why pay for something you can get for free, and yes, I am aware that there are some listings that can only be had on westside rentals.

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:11 pm

hope wrote:You'll receive an estimated letter in the mail
Cool, that didn't seem very clear in the email.

agent433

New

Post by agent433 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:15 pm

I got both of those emails, but nothing in the mail yet. Also, the link they provided in the first email to my award letter was broken. did it work for anybody? And Im wondering what that 2nd application is about as well...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:29 pm

agent433 wrote:I got both of those emails, but nothing in the mail yet. Also, the link they provided in the first email to my award letter was broken. did it work for anybody? And Im wondering what that 2nd application is about as well...
It was broken for me too, but you can just copy and paste the web address. However, it isn't the award letter, which is what I thought it would be, it is just the online version of everything contained in the email body. They sure aren't winning any points in the clarity of diction department.

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Nah their not, but all I care about is how good their profs are and Princeton Review has been giving them huge props recently. Everything will work out in the end, but I'm probably like a lot of you and I just want my damn award letter.

mes789

New

Post by mes789 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm

snowboarder2713 wrote:all I care about is how good their profs are and Princeton Review has been giving them huge props recently.
Credited.

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:34 pm

I got my estimated award letter in the mail today. I didn't get any merit-based scholarships, but I'm fairly certain I got the max amount for all the federal loan programs (perkins, subsidized/unsubsidized stafford loans). Even with this, I'm going to probably have to get a 35K+ loan/yr from CitiBank. Hot damn that's a lot. Meh, it'll all be worth it.

Ha! I just realized how much debt I'm going to have after I finish law school. If that debt was like actual cash, I could buy a pretty freaking sweet house.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”