Georgetown Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
the rza

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2011

Post by the rza » Tue May 13, 2008 1:34 pm

i'm definitely interested in the Beaudry - although I imagine there are some veteran debate-teamers that are going to just clean up in it. i'll give it a try anyway.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Rza, you should team up with Jon Wallace and 'slam dunk' the Moot Court competition.

At least, that was going to be my plan anyways....

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Tue May 13, 2008 2:54 pm

good call...

--ImageRemoved--

"mr. chief justice and may it please the court!!!!!"

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Tue May 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Last edited by scoutfinch80 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

spree234

New

Post by spree234 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:57 pm

I know, the list of clubs looks awesome. The problem with Georgetown is the exact opposite of the problem at other schools: Georgetown has so many clubs, so many courses, AND is located in DC. I have absolutely no clue how we are going to possibly get it all in with only 3 years. Sigh... :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed May 14, 2008 10:17 am

If anyone got in off the wait-list and didn't get the nice little leather portfolio from GULC, let me know and I'll send you mine.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:22 am

spree234 wrote:I know, the list of clubs looks awesome. The problem with Georgetown is the exact opposite of the problem at other schools: Georgetown has so many clubs, so many courses, AND is located in DC. I have absolutely no clue how we are going to possibly get it all in with only 3 years. Sigh... :wink:
Agreed! As a political junkie, I'm also really excited about the prospect of being in DC for the inauguration.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed May 14, 2008 12:21 pm

The cool thing about inaguration is that school is closed. Other than that, I found it to be a huge pain in the ass that I was not a part of. Although maybe I felt that way because I was not a part of it.. :?

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed May 14, 2008 12:25 pm

SgtBilko wrote:The cool thing about inaguration is that school is closed. Other than that, I found it to be a huge pain in the ass that I was not a part of. Although maybe I felt that way because I was not a part of it.. :?
I wanna be a part... :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Wed May 14, 2008 12:30 pm

you don't even get to watch the speech unless you have a ticket. can't even get on to the mall. i stood on the parade route on penn ave freezing my ass off for about an hour last time before saying fuck it.
Last edited by the rza on Wed May 14, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:43 pm

I have friends who work on the Hill who seem to be well-connected (i.e., they've gotten into some Rose Garden ceremonies, etc.). So, I told them that I want to go to an inaugural ball. I said that if they could get right on that, that would be great :wink:

School is closed? Sweet.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Wed May 14, 2008 12:53 pm

and MLK day is the day before - nice four day weekend right after classes start in the spring.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 pm

The inauguration is fun if you can be a part of things, it's a PITA if you can't. The year I was involved in a campaign I was able to do a bunch of events (watch the speech from the capitol lawn, go to one of the inaugural balls, attend a couple of other ticketed events) and I really enjoyed it. Some of the things I did were because of connections, but some of them were because I knew who to ask. If you want to see the inauguration, ask your senator or rep for tickets now and ask what their procedure for ticket distribution is. As soon as the election is over, try to get in contact with the inauguration committee. They usually need a ton of volunteers, and sometimes some gigs will pay. That can give you access, at least peripherally to some events and may get you entrance to others. There are often free events on the Mall as well. There are usually tons of parties sponsored by all sorts of groups during inauguration week as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Last edited by scoutfinch80 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Wed May 14, 2008 1:06 pm

good info, YF, thanks

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed May 14, 2008 1:08 pm

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:
SgtBilko wrote:The cool thing about inaguration is that school is closed. Other than that, I found it to be a huge pain in the ass that I was not a part of. Although maybe I felt that way because I was not a part of it.. :?
You have my vote.

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed May 14, 2008 1:09 pm

OnceLost wrote:
iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:
You have my vote.
Nuke a gay baby seal ftw!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SlimPickens

New

Post by SlimPickens » Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am

A question for anyone who knows DC--there seem to be a few of you on this thread:

My girlfriend was offered an interview at what appears to be a great job in Rockville, MD. I may be missing something on the website, but it looks like the MARC trains only run in one direction with the regular commute. Would commuting by subway from Capitol Hill be insufferable? We currently live in Brooklyn, so a 45 minute commute (from door to door) wouldn't be a change.

I definitely want to be a part of the GULC community, so we're hoping to find a place somewhat near the school, perhaps between Eastern Market and Union Station.

Thanks for any advice.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Thu May 15, 2008 12:24 pm

I don't know anything about the commuter trains - but I can tell you from experience that the metro ride from Union Station to Bethesda on the red line is almost exactly 25 minutes during commuting hours. Looks like it is five extra stops from Bethesda to Rockville. Add in the walking time from Cap. Hill to Union Station I would say the total trip might only be 45 minutes or so - depending on where you live on the Hill.

SlimPickens

New

Post by SlimPickens » Thu May 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks RZA, that's really helpful--she's having to look for a job through NY recruiters and do phone interviews from here, so it's great to get an idea of how long it would take to get to different areas around the city. I couldn't find any sort of commute time calculator elsewhere.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 pm

This might be helpful: http://www.wmata.com/tripplanner_d/Trip ... lo.cfm?l=1

Looks like Union Station - Rockville is about 35 minutes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Thu May 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Rockville is a large area. There are several metro stops that serve it (basically everything from Grosvenor to Rockville). If the job is close to one of these, then the commute shouldn't be bad. But if it's not close to a metro stop, you need to check what the bus transfers would be like. That part of the commute could double your time.

If she's working out there, though, I would highly recommend living on the red line, somewhere between Dupont and Bethesda. GULC has a large student body and there are multiple communities within it. The Dupont/Woodley/Cleveland Park area is a pretty common place for people to live. Living there would make the commute significantly better for your girlfriend and wouldn't be bad on you either.
SlimPickens wrote:A question for anyone who knows DC--there seem to be a few of you on this thread:

My girlfriend was offered an interview at what appears to be a great job in Rockville, MD. I may be missing something on the website, but it looks like the MARC trains only run in one direction with the regular commute. Would commuting by subway from Capitol Hill be insufferable? We currently live in Brooklyn, so a 45 minute commute (from door to door) wouldn't be a change.

I definitely want to be a part of the GULC community, so we're hoping to find a place somewhat near the school, perhaps between Eastern Market and Union Station.

Thanks for any advice.

danko

New

Post by danko » Thu May 15, 2008 1:01 pm

I was just about to write the same thing as YoungFogey. Commuting from upper NW DC neighborhoods to Rockville is much easier than Capitol Hill (NE or SE) to Rockville.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Whatever you do, don't live IN rockville. I can't imagine anything more traumatizing than moving there from Brooklyn.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 am

has anyone filled out their loan applications yet? apparently the deadline is june 2...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”