University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
cantwaitforuva

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:02 pm

I'm a brunette and so is sialeeds, so no need to fear. I don't have a snobby pet, but i'm going to get a cat once i move to c-ville.

Do Dean Palmer give you an idea of when you'll hear back? I hope you get in!

doublehoo22

New

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Post by doublehoo22 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:07 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
doublehoo22 wrote:
cantwaitforuva wrote:double - did you check out carriage hill? it's by the same people who own lakeside, it's just newer - so you might want to check it out.

I have actually been inside one of those. They are pretty nice. I will add them to my list. I have to start narrowing things down so I don't spend a ton of money on application fees (sounds like the law school application process all over again).
just apply to one place.

I wanted to have a back up in case I didn't get my first choice, but I guess it would be smarter to apply to my top choice first and if I don't get it then apply somewhere else.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:11 pm

doublehoo22 wrote:
I wanted to have a back up in case I didn't get my first choice, but I guess it would be smarter to apply to my top choice first and if I don't get it then apply somewhere else.
That's my plan. I applied to carriage hill and since current residents have to give 60 days notice and I want to have a place by mid-late june I'll know what's available by the end of the month. If nothing looks good, then i'll go to my back-up (either Avemore or Lakeside, probably).

What have you heard about Carriage Hill? Do you have friends that live there and do they like it? Why didn't you consider them at first - anything scary I need to know? Thanks!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:12 pm

Well I guess deposit deadlines are April 30th, so on the Waitlisting FAQs it says that they will start reviewing waitlist candidates in the middle of May.

So if I hear May 16th that would be fabulous!!! :D :D :D

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Do you know about how much a 1 bedroom or 1 bedroom with a den is at Avemore??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:24 pm

Lishi - find me on AIM

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:29 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
doublehoo22 wrote:
That's my plan. I applied to carriage hill and since current residents have to give 60 days notice and I want to have a place by mid-late june I'll know what's available by the end of the month. If nothing looks good, then i'll go to my back-up (either Avemore or Lakeside, probably).

What have you heard about Carriage Hill? Do you have friends that live there and do they like it? Why didn't you consider them at first - anything scary I need to know? Thanks!
I have family that live there. They are leaving soon, but its because they are moving into a house further out. They have really enjoyed living up there. The views up there are incredible and the Pantops area is getting a lot of new stuff. I didn't consider it at first because I thought it would be more expensive than it is. I haven't really heard or experienced anything bad there. The only possible downside may be traffic. There is a lot of development going on east of Charlottesville and the roads haven't quite caught up yet. For the most part traveling there is very smooth, but it can get congested every once in a while (although if you are from a bigger city it will seem like nothing to you) .

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:31 pm

lishi wrote:Do you know about how much a 1 bedroom or 1 bedroom with a den is at Avemore??
A 1 bedroom plus office and sunroom is about $1100 at Avemore.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:35 pm

doublehoo22 wrote: I have family that live there. They are leaving soon, but its because they are moving into a house further out. They have really enjoyed living up there. The views up there are incredible and the Pantops area is getting a lot of new stuff. I didn't consider it at first because I thought it would be more expensive than it is. I haven't really heard or experienced anything bad there. The only possible downside may be traffic. There is a lot of development going on east of Charlottesville and the roads haven't quite caught up yet. For the most part traveling there is very smooth, but it can get congested every once in a while (although if you are from a bigger city it will seem like nothing to you) .
I'm from DC, so I'll be ok. Thanks for the info. Carriage Hill is the same price as Lakeside, and it's a bit newer, that's why I chose it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:56 pm

j-rod, can i have that celebratory drink now, please?

i got into uva yesterday :) class of 2011!

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

WOW- congratulations ubuntu!

so much for that "the only decisions left are rejections and waitlists" theory...

and J-Rod sure makes a lot of drink promises... (I believed I'm owed 2 at last count? ;-))

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:59 pm

also, i need a roommate. preferably boys or girls who hate girls. as in, sports-watching, beer-drinking, laid-back girls. anyone?

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:59 pm

MissVirginia wrote:WOW- congratulations ubuntu!

so much for that "the only decisions left are rejections and waitlists" theory...

and J-Rod sure makes a lot of drink promises... (I believed I'm owed 2 at last count? ;-))
aaaactually i was waitlisted. but negotiated last week because of the deadline on my gulc scholarship. i owe one HUGE thank-you note to dean palmer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:04 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
doublehoo22 wrote: I have family that live there. They are leaving soon, but its because they are moving into a house further out. They have really enjoyed living up there. The views up there are incredible and the Pantops area is getting a lot of new stuff. I didn't consider it at first because I thought it would be more expensive than it is. I haven't really heard or experienced anything bad there. The only possible downside may be traffic. There is a lot of development going on east of Charlottesville and the roads haven't quite caught up yet. For the most part traveling there is very smooth, but it can get congested every once in a while (although if you are from a bigger city it will seem like nothing to you) .
I'm from DC, so I'll be ok. Thanks for the info. Carriage Hill is the same price as Lakeside, and it's a bit newer, that's why I chose it.

OK, in that case it will seem like nothing to you :) Traffic in DC and especially Northern Virginia has got to be some of the worst in the country. I think I would go crazy if I had to deal with that on a daily basis. Then again, I do want to live up there after law school so I guess I will have to adjust.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:06 pm

a WaitList that turns into an Acceptance IS AN ACCEPTANCE!

So you're definitely on board for Virginia? Will they be able to match GULC's $?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Join the FB group Ubuntu!

(Edit: and Congrats!)

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:15 pm

yay ubuntu! just please don't hate me! :)

<-- super girly girl

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Congrats!!! ::secretly jealous::

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:18 pm

MissVirginia wrote:a WaitList that turns into an Acceptance IS AN ACCEPTANCE!

So you're definitely on board for Virginia? Will they be able to match GULC's $?

on board for virginia! a difficult decision because gulc upped their offer to 20K/year. BUT i'm going to plead for some aid. we'll see, perhaps they'll toss something my way after the initial deposits are made and they know what they have. who knows! dean palmer said it was a possibility. but i have to go with my heart here and realize the job prospects will make up for the money from gulc. also, the COL is about half dc's. oy. i freaked out making the decision for a LONG TIME but am feeling good about it now. thanks for the congrats :)

ohhhmygosh holly madison i don't hate you (um i love gossip girl SO MUCH so i'm in for that). just, you know, had a little problems with the bitchiness in undergrad. so it's more, no bitchiness. ;)

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:20 pm

lishi wrote:Congrats!!! ::secretly jealous::
thanks lishi - i think the fact that you interviewed so quickly is an amazing sign. i doubt too many people will be able to make it there before april 30, so you have an awesome chance and i'm pulling for you! if you need help with any sort of LOCI or anything let me know, i was a writing major in undergrad and might be able to help.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:23 pm

uh oh, gladiator has added the rattling sabers as an avatar... I guess that makes it *extra* official... good luck with the scholarship negotiation ubuntu!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Nope, nothing's changed actually other than withdrawing from Vandy, still on 99%. I'll probably be going down on Saturday to look at housing and wander around the law school without a tour guide. Dean Palmer didn't even bother to return my email about matching Duke's scholarship so I guess that's a no.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:29 pm

no putting a damper on the celebratory mood... did Virginia give you nothing, or just not as much as Duke? are you going to f/u?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:31 pm

thanks lishi - i think the fact that you interviewed so quickly is an amazing sign. i doubt too many people will be able to make it there before april 30, so you have an awesome chance and i'm pulling for you! if you need help with any sort of LOCI or anything let me know, i was a writing major in undergrad and might be able to help.
Thanks, I hope interviewing helps me. I actually already gave Dean Palmer a packet that included all my waitlist extras. But thanks for the offer!!!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:33 pm

Just not as much, 45K vs 60K. I emailed her before I got the 45K though and she didn't answer the question so I emailed again just asking for a confirmation that they won't match and she hasn't answered. It's not a problem, 45K is fine but I figured I might as well ask since 15K isn't nothing. Regardless, it's still 99% attending so it's not like it's a real issue.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”