University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
bamabreeze

Bronze

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by bamabreeze » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:45 pm

Ok so I found the (partial) answer to my own question - it was in a letter they mailed earlier this summer - they say that we can upgrade our cable package (and pay extra) but we have to talk to their Comcast sales representative for pricing and to find out what our options are (and they include his name and contact info). I emailed him so we'll see what he says!

Also, which credit card do you use that has such a good rewards/points program? I have to choose one soon and there's too many options!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Well, somebody stole my bicycle from my backyard last night or early this morning. I've never even ridden the thing - just bought it from Wal-Mart. Thankfully, it was a relatively inexpensive model. On the plus side, my wife found the keys that I've spent the last couple of days looking for.

ouva

New

Post by ouva » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:17 pm

OnceLost wrote:Well, somebody stole my bicycle from my backyard last night or early this morning. I've never even ridden the thing - just bought it from Wal-Mart. Thankfully, it was a relatively inexpensive model. On the plus side, my wife found the keys that I've spent the last couple of days looking for.

aww that's too bad. did you have it locked up?

but now that you mention it... how inexpensive of a bike were you able to find at wal mart? i need to get one and have been doing a little browsing but they are all more than i want to pay for something just to ride around town --- no mountain trekking or anything.

and congrats on the keys at least!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:15 pm

the chase freedom visa card offers amazing benefits. it's cash back, which in my opinion is way better than store credits/airplane mileage, etc.

man, i thought i'd be all excited to move. but, i'm currently in a crunch for time to meet some people saying good byes, etc. gotta make the most of my last week.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:35 pm

greygoose wrote:the chase freedom visa card offers amazing benefits. it's cash back, which in my opinion is way better than store credits/airplane mileage, etc.

man, i thought i'd be all excited to move. but, i'm currently in a crunch for time to meet some people saying good byes, etc. gotta make the most of my last week.

moving across the country definitely put me in a crunch . . . I'm still in one

And sorry to hear about the stolen bike.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:24 am

ouva wrote:aww that's too bad. did you have it locked up?

but now that you mention it... how inexpensive of a bike were you able to find at wal mart? i need to get one and have been doing a little browsing but they are all more than i want to pay for something just to ride around town --- no mountain trekking or anything.

and congrats on the keys at least!
No, it wasn't locked up - my bike lock key is on my keyring, which was lost at the time. It might not have been locked up anyway, though. I mean, I'm in a small residential area, fer cryin' out loud. Not that I need a reminder that crime happens everywhere...being on the other side of the police report was a rather strange feeling, too. Slightly surreal.

The bike was $80, an 18 speed 26" mountain bike. The headlight/taillight set, memory foam seat, and stick-pump brought it up to about $120 or so. The money isn't even the irritating part, as you might imagine.

With regards to the keys, thanks!

rjm

New

Post by rjm » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:46 am

J-Rod wrote:Anyone here want to get together a foursome for golf?
You can count me in for golf although I won't be in Charlottesville until the 15th.

RudyGay

New

Post by RudyGay » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:25 am

is anyone interested in putting together a fairly serious fantasy football league? i can probably come up with 4 or 5 but we would need at least 10.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:27 am

RudyGay wrote:is anyone interested in putting together a fairly serious fantasy football league? i can probably come up with 4 or 5 but we would need at least 10.

I'm down for fantasy football . . . and I'm sure I can convince my two roommates to join

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:55 am

RudyGay wrote:is anyone interested in putting together a fairly serious fantasy football league? i can probably come up with 4 or 5 but we would need at least 10.
I'd play, finish 1st in the regular season, and lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. I'm the Atlanta Braves of fantasy sports.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:18 am

I could be convinced :p

A few things:

1. A 12-team league is where its at. We could probably fill that.

2. 3-year keeper league anyone??? :D

hokiefan

New

Post by hokiefan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:27 am

I'm up for either of those.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:32 am

i'm down for some low stakes fantasy football.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:57 pm

if you guys are all happy with playing for 2nd, then i'm in

do you all want to just pay me up front or wait till after the season?

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:32 pm

nipplehead wrote:if you guys are all happy with playing for 2nd, then i'm in

Haha. I'm def interested. Eli Manning #1 pick!!! (Not really, I'm just a huge Giants fan)

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:34 pm

nipplehead wrote:if you guys are all happy with playing for 2nd, then i'm in

da Stain does not approve of this message.

Lovin not even pre season , but pre league trash talking.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:35 pm

Don't worry fellas . . . Nip will have to stare at my first place trophy from last season . . . that'll put him back in his place.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:43 pm

Somehow we need to integrate a team competition into this whereby video games are integrated.

Stop shouting. The reason is, because it sucks to create a perfect team and then loose in the playoffs because the 'real team's' are sitting starters. This way, we can at least integrate our own innate competitivityness into this league.

Also, with my first pick I hereby select Bret Favre.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:44 pm

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:competitivityness

Nice word.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:01 pm

I'm in for FF if there's room.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:10 pm

nipplehead wrote:^ you ladies living at the Woodlands too?
You know it. I'm the original Woodlander who tried to get everyone to move there, hah! :)
bamabreeze wrote:Ok so I found the (partial) answer to my own question - it was in a letter they mailed earlier this summer - they say that we can upgrade our cable package (and pay extra) but we have to talk to their Comcast sales representative for pricing and to find out what our options are (and they include his name and contact info). I emailed him so we'll see what he says!

Also, which credit card do you use that has such a good rewards/points program? I have to choose one soon and there's too many options!
I just got the United Visa... I figure by paying $1,500 a month (my roommate will just write me a check for her portion), I should start racking up the miles. According the website, we can pay with American Express too... but on the mailing they sent us, it just said Visa/Mastercard. I ultimately went with United because they give you 25,000 miles for signing up (free US flight) plus one free business class upgrade and they waive the first year fee ($60). But if they start taking American Express, I will switch to Delta Skymiles because I fly Delta a lot more (especially internationally).

I'm curious what the Comcast representative says... I hope we have regular cable with MTV/ESPN type channels, not just basic cable with ABC/FOX/etc. Hopefully you just have to pay for HBO and whatnot...
greygoose wrote: the chase freedom visa card offers amazing benefits. it's cash back, which in my opinion is way better than store credits/airplane mileage, etc.
It depends, I think. I have Blue Cash by American Express, and it only gives you a lot of cash back once you've spent like $6,500 that year, and I just don't spend crazy amounts of money. I fly a lot (unfortunate side-effect of long distance relationships!), so the airline cards will actually be a better deal for me. My boyfriend paid for his flight to Hawaii with miles... and saved $1,300. That's a lot more than you'd get for cash back! He's close to having enough miles for a flight to Africa, which typically runs around $3,000... so definitely worth it in my opinion if you're a big flyer!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:21 pm

^

good point if you travel a lot. i made my recommendation off what my parents use. the chase freedom visa card is definitely more for households or big spending individuals.

i'm moving in friday 8/8...anyone got plans for saturday night (8/9)?

Movie with Professors Anne Coughlin and Mildred Robinson
(movie: Gattaca)

what a wonderful, under-rated film.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 am

Question for anyone who has already moved in: Do you think it' a bad idea to pack up and move down to Charlottesville without having seen the apartment I'll be moving into? Is it necessary to overlook the place to make sure everything is in order before I come down with a UHaul, or are apartments (Avemore in my case) pretty good about giving you the place in good condition?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:28 am

Waterman47 wrote:Question for anyone who has already moved in: Do you think it' a bad idea to pack up and move down to Charlottesville without having seen the apartment I'll be moving into? Is it necessary to overlook the place to make sure everything is in order before I come down with a UHaul, or are apartments (Avemore in my case) pretty good about giving you the place in good condition?

I'll know the answer to this question, but for the Woodlands in about 4 hours.

ouva

New

Post by ouva » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:47 am

Waterman47 wrote:Question for anyone who has already moved in: Do you think it' a bad idea to pack up and move down to Charlottesville without having seen the apartment I'll be moving into? Is it necessary to overlook the place to make sure everything is in order before I come down with a UHaul, or are apartments (Avemore in my case) pretty good about giving you the place in good condition?
I take it you've already signed a lease? In that case, I don't think that coming down to look it over will really make much of a difference, and if you live fairly far away I don't think it'd be worth it.

What you may want to do, if you are concerned though, is to take a camera or a videocamera before you move anything in and just record the condition of all the walls, floors, etc, so if anything is NOT in good condition, you can get someone to come do something about it, or at the very least have documented evidence so you don't get charged from your security deposit.

I think the reputation of most of the bigger places in which students are living (Avemore included) is a good indicator that it won't be crap when you get there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”