University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
cantwaitforuva

Silver

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:23 pm

So I went shopping for the first time in C-ville yesterday.

The mall is laughably small. It does have some necessities though, like J.Crew.

I haven't hit the little boutiques around town yet, but I'm going to hold off on that until some of you ladies move in and we can make a day of it.

I do plan on checking out a vintage store today. I'm doubtful - something tells me I won't stumble on a Pucci top in C-ville - but you never know. I once found an Alberta Ferretti rabbit fur coat at a vintage store in a small town, so I will remain hopeful.

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Once, have you considered holding onto the house and just renting it out to students? You might be better off that way on a month-to-month basis.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Yeah, it's listed as a rental, too, and we're about to lower to rent we're asking by a couple hundred bucks. Even if it only covers 2/3 of my mortgage payment, that's 2/3 that isn't out of my pocket every month. It's up in NW Tallahassee, though, and not in an area that students are going to find very convenient.

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Oh yeah, you mentioned that. Sorry, I'm out of it today.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:10 pm

That's a'ight, man. I gotcher back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:46 pm

Is anyone else ready for classes to start already? I'm wasting the entire summer just sitting around the house watching Law and Order or reading. I don't move to c-ville until Aug 9 and I'm hoping I don't die of boredom before that day comes.

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:53 pm

hey all.

im applying this coming fall and was wondering if anyone could post/PM why they chose UVA over peer schools. Im liking what I have read about the school and do not have the $$$ to visit. Thanks!

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:07 am

The visit sold me.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:53 am

muddywaters wrote:hey all.

im applying this coming fall and was wondering if anyone could post/PM why they chose UVA over peer schools. Im liking what I have read about the school and do not have the $$$ to visit. Thanks!
- UVA offered me more money than any other school (except USC) so that was a definite draw, but i would have chosen UVA over CLS/NYU at sticker anyways after visiting.

- i went to a small liberal arts college, so i kind of wanted a big school experience (read: football games) UVA offered that, and it's in a nice college town

- the area is unbelievably beautiful.

- the facilities are amazing. nicer than Columbia, nicer than NYU, nicer than Michigan, nicer than Berkeley. the law school is just really aesthetically pleasing.

- everyone i met while i was there was super enthusiastic about the school. way more than any other school except Michigan (people at Michigan were about equally stoked.) i met one person from CLS who loved it, a few that were eh, a couple from NYU that were content but not stoked. people seemed to like Berkeley but it was just liked, not loved. everyone from UVA, however, adored the school.

- finally, i like drinking beer and shooting the shit. i don't like discussing academic shit a ton outside of school. i'm in my early 20s and i want to have a good time with my life. UVA seemed to offer the best balance between academic life and a social life. that was the clincher.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CAtoVa

New

Post by CAtoVa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:54 am

So, everyone got one of those fliers listing all the send-off parties, right? Is anyone planning on going to one of these? I thought it would be cool to meet some people since I'm not from VA (where I'm from should be evident enough), but looking at the flier, it looks like these events are seriously geared towards undergrads. It doesn't mention anywhere on the RSVP site or the flier itself that they are exclusively for undergrads, but all the material seems to suggest as much (mentions bringing parents, everyone looks incredibly young in the pictures, congratulates the "Class of 2012", etc.). If I end up going will be the only Law (or even GRAD) student there? Has anyone else gone to these? What was the general makeup?

Any info would be appreciated.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:10 am

nipplehead wrote:
muddywaters wrote:hey all.

- UVA offered me more money than any other school (except USC) so that was a definite draw, but i would have chosen UVA over CLS/NYU at sticker anyways after visiting.

- i went to a small liberal arts college, so i kind of wanted a big school experience (read: football games) UVA offered that, and it's in a nice college town

- the area is unbelievably beautiful.

- the facilities are amazing. nicer than Columbia, nicer than NYU, nicer than Michigan, nicer than Berkeley. the law school is just really aesthetically pleasing.

- everyone i met while i was there was super enthusiastic about the school. way more than any other school except Michigan (people at Michigan were about equally stoked.) i met one person from CLS who loved it, a few that were eh, a couple from NYU that were content but not stoked. people seemed to like Berkeley but it was just liked, not loved. everyone from UVA, however, adored the school.

- finally, i like drinking beer and shooting the shit. i don't like discussing academic shit a ton outside of school. i'm in my early 20s and i want to have a good time with my life. UVA seemed to offer the best balance between academic life and a social life. that was the clincher.
Ditto.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:57 pm

I'll second (third) the above with a bit more for me.

Before UG here in DC I went to a prep school in CT (think dead poets society and outside providence). That environment always struck me as a great one for learning and living, especially for a limited time. For some perspective school was 550 students on 500 acres.

UVA struck me as similar. Faculty are there because they want to be I
in cville teaching, not setting office hours around a private practice in DC. Students seemed fun and very aware of the treat that is being there for 3 years before NYC, DC etc for the next 20-25 years.

Like Nip, that balance was important to me, maybe more than anything. I've loved in DC for 6years now and it was really just time for a break from any plaxlce with a metro. I just didnt suscribe to the common notion that law school is about getting a job in 3 years and will suck or should if youre doing it right. I never got that feel and thats why it was #1 to me from the start.

hope that helps.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:14 pm

On a slightly different note, has anyone successfully gotten their UVA email account to work on a BlackBerry?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:16 pm

On a slightly different note, has anyone successfully gotten their UVA email account to work on a BlackBerry?
Or ipod touch for that matter?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 pm

wesleybs wrote:
Or ipod touch for that matter?
I tried and failed on the iPod Touch. I think it won't work because it's not a regular GMail account. Maybe you could try the "other" category but I don't know how to fill in the information it requests.

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:24 pm

What I found so far (which might help with the iPod touch): when you go into settings in your UVA account and choose IMAP/POP, when you enable either (or both) of those, the last line in each section has a link to "Configure your wireless device" and there's instructions for each type of device that you can use. Not that they're that helpful (since I tried both sets of instructions, and it still doesn't work!) but maybe they will work for you! Also there is a Google Apps mail application that you can download, which apparently supports email that is Gmail through Google Apps (like ours is) but that doesn't work for me either :(

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Hm for iPhone/iPod touch, this link might be helpful - http://www.itc.virginia.edu/exchange/mobile/macos.html

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:38 pm

i appreciate all the help people!

CAtoVa

New

Post by CAtoVa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:48 pm

No comments on the meet-n-greets? Is anyone even planning on going ?

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:51 pm

CAtoVa wrote:No comments on the meet-n-greets? Is anyone even planning on going ?
i dunno, there's one near me so i'm considering it. i also got the feeling it'll be mostly undergrads, especially since i don't think there will be many law students at UVA from my area of the country, so i'm still unsure.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:58 pm

maybe i'm just dumb, but where are you guys hearing about the meet and greet thing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:59 pm

CAtoVa wrote:No comments on the meet-n-greets? Is anyone even planning on going ?
No idea what you're talking about. :?:

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:48 pm

I called Verizon today to change my cell phone number and spoke to a very helpful woman who told me that she couldn't get me a 434 number. I ended up with a 540 number. Does anyone have any idea what's up with this? Similar problems with cell phone services? I had no trouble switching my home VoIP to a 434, but that's a whole different animal.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:50 pm

gladiator wrote:
No idea what you're talking about. :?:
some invitation in the mail

CAtoVa

New

Post by CAtoVa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:09 pm

http://uvaclubs.virginia.edu/site/c.mwK ... b.4042207/

They sent out a flier with basically this information. It came to me along with other UVA Law info, but you can see how it looks like it's geared towards undergrads.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”