Page 181 of 222

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:20 am
by MissVirginia
:D

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:29 am
by Nike6075
Not sure what you're talking about, but I'm not really too worried about it.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:52 am
by J-Rod
Removed.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:31 pm
by bamabreeze
.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:45 pm
by bamabreeze
.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:54 pm
by vamel
Wow.

I'm attending UVA Law next year and I'm really disturbed by this discussion and the pictures that are included here.

This isn't about feminism. It is about sexism. These pictures aren't funny - they are insulting and demeaning.

This kind of stuff doesn't fly in the corporate law firms that many of the people on here seem to aspire to... nor any other professional jobs. People can figure out who you are pretty easily - and I assure you that your future employers don't want to be associated with those sorts of postings...

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:57 pm
by CaptainDirtyBird
Images deleted
A. ^^^^ Hilarious. Last time I checked: insulting and demeaning is a critical part of satirical humor. In case you haven't noticed, you're the other critical part.

B. I'm both excited by and terrified of you UVA Law Ladies. Having spent the past four years at an almost all male school, it will be shocking to find women capable of expressing valid and intelligent points.

C. Point B will force me to change my perceptions of women. I mean for so long I have treated women like sexual objects because if they weren't objects they would be ghosts, and I am scared shitless of ghosts.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:58 pm
by Nike6075
vamel wrote:Wow.

I'm attending UVA Law next year and I'm really disturbed by this discussion and the pictures that are included here.

This isn't about feminism. It is about sexism. These pictures aren't funny - they are insulting and demeaning.

This kind of stuff doesn't fly in the corporate law firms that many of the people on here seem to aspire to... nor any other professional jobs. People can figure out who you are pretty easily - and I assure you that your future employers don't want to be associated with those sorts of postings...
I think they're funny. And stop being so damn serious.

(In fairness, I guess in a class of 400 there are bound to be a few crazies).

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:27 pm
by J-Rod
Edited. I don't need to fill this thread with this argument. I know that I am not a sexist in anyway. IF someone doesn't like a joke, or chooses to believe that we're sexists because we laughed, that is their issue to resolve.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:44 pm
by tkm.
these posts make me sad :cry:

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:57 pm
by satchelGD
tkm. wrote:these posts make me sad :cry:
meeeeeeee too.

and damn the dutch look good today.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:07 pm
by Khordis
I've modified a couple of these images to make them palatable to a wider audience.

Image

Image

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:09 pm
by J-Rod
wes to the rescue!

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:12 pm
by tkm.
satchelGD wrote:
tkm. wrote:these posts make me sad :cry:
meeeeeeee too.

and damn the dutch look good today.

yeah they do

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:13 pm
by tkm.
if I defer do I lose my scholarship?

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:16 pm
by turbogirl3535
These posts should make me upset, but don't. Guys who want women whose aspirations leave them content to accept the pictures being depicted are going to be women lacking intellectual capability and bring zero financial contributions to the table. I can't wait to work with these guys in a corporate setting and get introduced to their wives at functions.

I can see it now....

"I'd like you to meet my wife so-and-so! She stays at home and does my dishes while I slave at the firm and recently earned her online G.E.D. Unfortunately her vocabulary consists of only 13 words."

That will really impress the partners!

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:28 pm
by J-Rod
turbogirl3535 wrote:These posts should make me upset, but don't. Guys who want women whose aspirations leave them content to accept the pictures being depicted are going to be women lacking intellectual capability and bring zero financial contributions to the table. I can't wait to work with these guys in a corporate setting and get introduced to their wives at functions.

I can see it now....

"I'd like you to meet my wife so-and-so! She stays at home and does my dishes while I slave at the firm and recently earned her online G.E.D. Unfortunately her vocabulary consists of only 13 words."

That will really impress the partners!
well, my ex-girlfriend just did a very prestigious internship with the holocaust museum in DC . . . one of the rarest internships you can get as an archivist, and my ex-ex girlfriend(who is still a close friend) ended up as the valedictorian of a graduating class of 5000 in college. . . so no, guys who laugh at those pictures don't date women lacking intellectual capacity.




I'm surprised people who make such presumptive(and wrong) statements have the nerve to criticize others around them.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:29 pm
by tkm.
and why does a woman who chooses to stay at home with her children lack intellectual capability?

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 pm
by shadowfish
tkm. wrote:if I defer do I lose my scholarship?
Nope, I asked about that at Admitted Students Weekend. Apparently the money carries over. Though it might be different for different situations. It'd probably be a good idea to call and talk to the financial office if you want to be sure.

also, Khordis=aweseome.

I'm not going to weigh into the feminism/sexism discussion because I'm pretty radical, but I'm glad that people are talking about it.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:37 pm
by tkm.
shadowfish wrote:
tkm. wrote:if I defer do I lose my scholarship?
Nope, I asked about that at Admitted Students Weekend. Apparently the money carries over. Though it might be different for different situations. It'd probably be a good idea to call and talk to the financial office if you want to be sure.

also, Khordis=aweseome.
thanks for answering :) ...that helps a bit

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:07 pm
by J-Rod
tkm. wrote:and why does a woman who chooses to stay at home with her children lack intellectual capability?

I was always under the impression that feminism was about equal rights and the ability for womento choose to do anything she wants to succeed in. My mother was valedictortian of her class of several thousand in college . . . worked for a few years, then chose to be a stay at home mother when she had me, and my sister(who was born with a rare form of muscular dystrophy)

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:14 pm
by tkm.
J-Rod wrote:
tkm. wrote:and why does a woman who chooses to stay at home with her children lack intellectual capability?

I was always under the impression that feminism was about equal rights and the ability for womento choose to do anything she wants to succeed in. My mother was valedictortian of her class of several thousand in college . . . worked for a few years, then chose to be a stay at home mother when she had me, and my sister(who was born with a rare form of muscular dystrophy)
agreed.

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:15 pm
by tkm.
wow this is a great game

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:44 pm
by OnceLost
Damn, I missed the heated debate about controversial images! I think this was my favorite part:
CapDB wrote:I mean for so long I have treated women like sexual objects because if they weren't objects they would be ghosts, and I am scared shitless of ghosts.
Some things are funny because they are obviously untrue or do not accurately represent the view of the speaker (irony, eh). Some things are completely tasteless and lack the sharp, sarcastic tang of satirical wit. All that said and ignoring the other posts in this thread, it is possible for people can become offended too easily. Did you know that there is case law finding classical art and statuary (Greek nudes and the like) to be considered sexual harassment?

My wife and I both cracked up on the school tour when we saw a pink shirt at the UVa bookstore that read, "Be the lawyer your parents wanted you to marry."

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:57 pm
by J-Rod
Removed.