University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
triadolpho

New

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by triadolpho » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:22 pm

cantwaitforuva wrote:
sialeeds wrote:It's next to impossible to get a job for just the summer, unless you've worked at the place before. One summer I was desperate, so I worked at a daycare camp. Since then, I've given up. It's easier for me to get into law school than it is to get a job at Olive Garden... they didn't seem to understand the concept of working in the summer and then leaving for school in the fall. They were like, "So in the fall you're going to drive down from Baltimore every day for work?" Uhhh, no. Plus, if you're going to have a short term job, then say goodbye to any type of vacation...

Enjoy your last summer of freedom!!! After this, we'll have summer associate positions and whatnot...
I agree - enjoy the summer - it's your last one.

But the summer job thing isn't necessarily true. It depends on where you live. Finding something in DC isn't that hard.
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid getting a job if possible for all of the reasons listed.

I'll probably just run down to the used book store tomorrow and find some new series to become immersed in.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:33 pm

How come you're not in our Facebook group?

triadolpho

New

Post by triadolpho » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:40 pm

Dunno. I'm very sporadic about posting here. I probably missed it.

Does it require an invite?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Yea, PM me your email address and I'll friend you and then invite you (required steps due to security settings).

bamabreeze

Bronze

Post by bamabreeze » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:13 pm

Last edited by bamabreeze on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:36 pm

bamabreeze wrote:Ohhh I vote for getting a job! An easy one... because sitting at home all day gets old, fast! (I also get bored easily!) Retail & restaurants are ALWAYS hiring seasonal employees, and there's not much better than getting paid for socializing with fun people, doing very little work, for 3-4 days a week, at 4-5 hours at a time, and getting the additional either 1) discount on clothes you'd already buy, or 2) salary paid every day in cash!
I wish I had had your experience working in retail/restuarants. My jobs in those areas have always sucked and being a server was the worst. I will never do either again.

I say take time off - it's your last chance.

I don't get bored at home; I have a lot of hobbies. Even something as simple as reading can be great. When I had mono I just read a book a day for three weeks. It was really nice. When I have the day to myself I cook a lot. It means I can finally make labor intensive/time consuming things. It's times like these when making a bunch of chicken or beef stock and storing them is a good idea. Once I get to Charlottesville I'll probably spend a lot of my time picking fruit and canning jams, applesauce, etc.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:12 am

triadolpho wrote:I just finished up the least productive week of my life. Slept until noon+ everyday, ate, ran, played video games, and watched movies. It's rather disgusting.

I need to find some sort of constructive hobby for while my friends are at work. Suggestions?
At least you ran. That's more than I can say for myself. But I love pointless, lazy weeks.

Take up art?

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:21 am

law people keep telling me to just relax your summer if you can. from my experience, it hasn't been too hard to occupy my time. schedule a few trips, hang out with people, spend a weekend or two in nearby metropolises, run errands, hobby time, etc. i purposely quit my prep gig, because i didn't want it to restrict my schedule. as ubuntu probably knows, you commit to a course schedule and essentially your weekends get killed 2 months at a time. 9AM class on Saturday or Sunday morning is never enjoyable. plus you can't take a whole week off, ever...

on another note, anyone interested in doing pottery class come fall or winter? that's been one thing i really wanted to try...i noticed a community college in the c'ville area that might offer courses to beginners.

o yea wes, my bad roomie, i should have invited you...

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:32 am

i'm going to enjoy my last summer as soon as june 27 rolls around ... then it's BYE JOB, HELLO SOUTH AMERICA.

i'm getting my yellow fever vaccine next week, along with some tasty malaria pills that make you craaaazy. yessssss.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:35 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:
bamabreeze wrote:Ohhh I vote for getting a job! An easy one... because sitting at home all day gets old, fast! (I also get bored easily!) Retail & restaurants are ALWAYS hiring seasonal employees, and there's not much better than getting paid for socializing with fun people, doing very little work, for 3-4 days a week, at 4-5 hours at a time, and getting the additional either 1) discount on clothes you'd already buy, or 2) salary paid every day in cash!
I wish I had had your experience working in retail/restuarants. My jobs in those areas have always sucked and being a server was the worst. I will never do either again.

I say take time off - it's your last chance.

I don't get bored at home; I have a lot of hobbies. Even something as simple as reading can be great. When I had mono I just read a book a day for three weeks. It was really nice. When I have the day to myself I cook a lot. It means I can finally make labor intensive/time consuming things. It's times like these when making a bunch of chicken or beef stock and storing them is a good idea. Once I get to Charlottesville I'll probably spend a lot of my time picking fruit and canning jams, applesauce, etc.

ahhh you are ADORABLE. picking fruit and canning jams?? oh man. that would make for a sweet pb&j.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 am

Cantwait, you absolutely have my vote to write the "Live Like Martha Stewart" column in the law school paper. Maybe that could be a reader-friendly section of Law Review.

Greygoose, my wife would love to take a pottery class (she did one here and really enjoyed it), so either she or both of us may join you for one.

If at all possible, I'd suggest taking the summer off - you're not likely to have that luxury again for a long time. Of course, I fully intend to live vicariously through those of you who do that, seeing as how I'll be cooped up in an office, frantically working on closing out cases and getting subpoenaed testimony out of the way until it's time to pack and move to Virginia. Even then I'm not sure I'll get a break - I have two cases that won't be prosecuted until after I'm settled in as a student.

<pompous nostalgia>

Ahh, to be young again.

</pompous nostalgia>

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:22 am

Hmm, apparently northern VA is more of a pain in the ass than where you guys lived. Everywhere I applied, they absolutely refused to take someone who could only work for three months. They don't want to pay to train someone to have them leave only a few months later. I could have gotten the job if I just lied about it and then quit when I had to go to school, but I'm a horrible liar...

So I got stuck at the summer camp, getting paid $7.50 an hour for dealing with really obnoxious kids in 90 degree weather... man, I wasn't paid enough...

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:07 am

OnceLost wrote:Cantwait, you absolutely have my vote to write the "Live Like Martha Stewart" column in the law school paper. Maybe that could be a reader-friendly section of Law Review.

Greygoose, my wife would love to take a pottery class (she did one here and really enjoyed it), so either she or both of us may join you for one.

If at all possible, I'd suggest taking the summer off - you're not likely to have that luxury again for a long time. Of course, I fully intend to live vicariously through those of you who do that, seeing as how I'll be cooped up in an office, frantically working on closing out cases and getting subpoenaed testimony out of the way until it's time to pack and move to Virginia. Even then I'm not sure I'll get a break - I have two cases that won't be prosecuted until after I'm settled in as a student.

<pompous nostalgia>

Ahh, to be young again.

</pompous nostalgia>
Since you're living vicariously and all, here's the run down of my recent activities - In the past three days I read two books and watched 8 movies. It was wonderful! I love summer. Then again, I don't really have anything else to do right now because I've packed most of everything I own for the move.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:09 am

ubuntu wrote:
ahhh you are ADORABLE. picking fruit and canning jams?? oh man. that would make for a sweet pb&j.
Haha. thanks. making your own jam is nice because you can make all sorts of unusual flavors that are hard to find in grocery stores.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:37 am

oncelost: sounds good, it's more fun going to classes with people that you know.

currently 90, feels like 95 (sever weather alert: heat advisory)

i just got back from picking strawberries in order to make the ultimate daiquiri...that's where time can be well spent.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:40 am

This weather sucks....that's all I have to say about that. Let's just rein it in to say 85-90.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:42 am

this kind of NE weather is why I would never even consider living in Atlanta, Texas, Florida...sticky-hot is double trouble.

Bad: "EVEN AT NIGHT... IT WILL REMAIN WARM WITH TEMPERATURES BOTTOMING
OUT IN THE 70S. IN CENTER CITY PHILADELPHIA...SOME SPOTS WILL NOT
GET BELOW 80."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:52 am

uh it's 100 degrees in boston today. any sort of heat wave like this is really unusual. we're wicked pissed about it. but hey, we've got the celtics going for us, so that's nice.

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 am

ahh yes the celtics...

anyone get their final transcript processed? i emailed to see my status and apparently my school didn't put which degree I received, need to reprocess. Also, UVA didn't tell me there was a problem with it and they received it 2 weeks ago. I'd recommend everyone by proactive (email and check) as necessary.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 am

Mine says received.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 am

Yeah, today is a day to lock your grandmother in the basement, according to the National Weather Service.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:08 am

fuck me:

"Degrees will be posted on transcripts by mid-July."

which means i can't get UVA my final transcript with degree status to satify aba reqs until mid-july...

My undergrad fucking me over even after "graduating"

satchelGD

New

Post by satchelGD » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:16 pm

anyone bored and just slinking around at work or something? PM me your AIM screen name. work is sooooo slowwww.

by the way, it was like 102+70% humidity in austin yesterday. the soles of my feet are burned from sand volleyball.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:40 pm

I won't have my final transcript until mid-July either. It's not that unusual btw.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:45 pm

are you guys sending your final transcript straight to UVA or just to LSAC? i need to get on this

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”