University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2011 Housing Thread

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:32 pm

Sadly, the Simpsonizer doesn't give the option of beer mugs and frying pans as accessories.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:32 pm

Holly Madison wrote: because it's in DC and not the middle of nowhere :oops: still... such a slim chance... i just keep getting cold feet about UVa.

and nope, not a peep from NYU. maybe they just hate me?
You're right -- it's in an area where you'll get mugged just walking to your car! Good luck finding people to have Gossip Girl cocktail parties there with, hmph! But I am shocked you haven't heard yet from NYU -- deposit deadlines are rapidly approaching!

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:35 pm

nope, because i won't have to have a car!!! (major pro of gtown)

i'm just so confused.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:38 pm

Okay, as crazily biased as I am... I still want the best for you :) I demand that you write out a pro/con list so we can help you. Also, I demand that you visit UVA -- I think all the doubt you're feeling would be diminished by that. Most of us on here are so excited about UVA because we've been there, and it's truly one of the most amazing atmospheres. Super classy.

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:39 pm

yeah, um about that approaching deadline Holly...isn't it about time to give NYU a call?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 pm

i was going to give them until friday. there may be a waitlist/rejection sitting in my mailbox right now, but there was nothing as of yesterday.

a quick, rough version of my pros/cons:

UVa
Pros: beautiful campus, better 'atmosphere' (more collegial, less competitive, etc), better placement, really nice apartments for really cheap, cool people!!
Cons: having to drive places/have a car, not even close to the city life i'm used to, far away from bf and difficult to get back to ny

Georgetown
Pros: in a city, strong possibility bf would move to DC in 2009, easy transportation back to ny
Cons: more expensive, more gunner-y

it looks like the choice should be easy... but the gtown pros are particularly important to me. i really think i might go stir crazy in c-ville.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:51 pm

I understand the stir-crazy argument, but I think there are a lot of us who plan on making weekend trips. I am from the DC area, so I will be going back and forth quite a bit. I think one nice advantage of going to a school far away from the city is that you actually do get to know your peers -- people don't disappear into the city. Georgetown is known for being pretty antisocial in that people have their own lives and don't necessarily get involved with their peers. That just seems depressing to me.

If you bf moved to DC in 2009, then Cville wouldn't be a bad option either. It's a two-hour drive, no traffic -- there's no reason you couldn't see each other every weekend by alternating. And there's not much of a difference between that and living in the same city since you'll be so busy anyway (and he will be too, with a job). That would be my ideal situation, honestly...

EDIT: Are you aware that there's a direct flight from Charlottesville to New York on US Airways?
Last edited by sialeeds on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:52 pm

So I withdrew from W&L a month ago . . . and got accepted today.

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Holly, a few things you should consider in light of your pro/con list:

- Re the boyfriend: during 1L you probably wouldn't see him much even at GULC, and during 2L year a DC-Cville relationship is definitely doable should he decide to move. Having done a DC-NY relationship for a full year, it's still a pain to bus/train between the cities. Also, US Airways and maybe even Delta offer nonstop flights between Cville and NYC - they're pricey at between $400 and $500, but the low cost of living and lower tuition of UVA will more than make up for it.

- You'll have plenty of friends at UVA, many if not most of whom will have cars. Bumming rides would be no biggie.

- Sia is absolutely right that you should visit before making a final choice (unless NYU gives you a full scholarship or something - even with all of my UVA love, I couldn't turn that down).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Khordis

New

Post by Khordis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 pm

not that there was much doubt left at this point, but my first deposit is finally in the mail. everyone feel free to rip your shirts off and start running around your offices or classrooms cheering and crying. hopefully the fact that i waited this long won't hurt my chances when it comes time to see which wes gets to keep the name.

so how late is everyone planning on staying out friday night at the dc gathering? a friend of mine is coming back into town and having an everyone-come-see-me-and-tell-me-you-miss-me happy hour thing around the same time. if our group is going to be hanging out for a while, i might go to my friend's thing first and meet up with everyone a bit later. if not, i might do it the other way around.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 pm

J-Rod wrote:So I withdrew from W&L a month ago . . . and got accepted today.
Haha, congrats? Were you deferred (I was -- I remember them saying they'd give a decision by late April)? I wonder if they'll make the same mistake with me, but I think they responded to me and thanked me for letting them know I was withdrawing.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:01 pm

sialeeds wrote:
J-Rod wrote:So I withdrew from W&L a month ago . . . and got accepted today.
Haha, congrats? Were you deferred (I was -- I remember them saying they'd give a decision by late April)? I wonder if they'll make the same mistake with me, but I think they responded to me and thanked me for letting them know I was withdrawing.
I don't remember if I was deferred or waitlisted . . .

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:05 pm

I hope people stay out late on Friday. One of my favorite lawyers at my firm is leaving, and we're toasting his departure at a nearby bar for a few hours after work. I'll probably roll into Hoban's a little after 8.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 pm

I definitely want to stay for dinner! :) But I can't be out late because of corgi-sitting duties...

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Wellsfargowagon wrote:Holly, a few things you should consider in light of your pro/con list:

- Re the boyfriend: during 1L you probably wouldn't see him much even at GULC, and during 2L year a DC-Cville relationship is definitely doable should he decide to move. Having done a DC-NY relationship for a full year, it's still a pain to bus/train between the cities. Also, US Airways and maybe even Delta offer nonstop flights between Cville and NYC - they're pricey at between $400 and $500, but the low cost of living and lower tuition of UVA will more than make up for it.

- You'll have plenty of friends at UVA, many if not most of whom will have cars. Bumming rides would be no biggie.

- Sia is absolutely right that you should visit before making a final choice (unless NYU gives you a full scholarship or something - even with all of my UVA love, I couldn't turn that down).
1. My current roommate and I live in DC. His current GF is a 1L at UVA. Needless to say, it works and they see each other at least 3 out of 4 weekends a month.

2. Assuming my current GF and I stay together, she'll be a 1L in DC. I think we both think it can work if we want it to.

3. Another friend of mine is leaving her BF in DC. She'll and he'll be going back and forth quite a bit so there are rides to be had.

4. I/GF could be going back quite and forth a bit as well.

Food for thought....

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:48 pm

I was planning on happy hour, then dinner, then a long night of drinking with you all at various bars. :D

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:48 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:51 pm

I will stay out if only for Wells.

tkm.

Bronze

Post by tkm. » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:17 pm

I want to come, but I'm afraid I'll get lost...I'm not so great with this taking trains and finding places in random cities thing

Yes, I'm an idiot :?

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:24 pm

SgtBilko wrote:I will stay out if only for Wells.
You'd better - I promised you a beer a while ago, and I'm not one to delay paying his debts. I'd say by now that enough interest has accrued to warrant two beers, even.

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:24 pm

tkm. wrote:I want to come, but I'm afraid I'll get lost...I'm not so great with this taking trains and finding places in random cities thing

Love, thy name is maps.google.com

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Again, why aren't any of you people from Chicago? Do I have to have TLS UVA 2011 parties with myself?

I mean, I will. No doubt. Me + alcohol = teh funzorz!

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:16 pm

^ wrd, nyc where is the love people?

Holly Madison

Bronze

Post by Holly Madison » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:30 pm

greygoose wrote:^ wrd, nyc where is the love people?
<3

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 pm

tkm. wrote:I want to come, but I'm afraid I'll get lost...I'm not so great with this taking trains and finding places in random cities thing

If you get lost, call me. My cell is on facebook.

Okay, so go to Penn station... go to the little kiosks and get a MARC ticket to Washington DC Union Station. Get on train. Get off of train. As soon as you get into Union Station (like actually enter the building), turn right and go down the escalator to the metro. Purchase metro ticket. Figure out which side the Dupont Circle stop is on (just look at a map real quick). Get on train. Get off train at Dupont Circle. Should be right near there!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”