University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Khordis

New

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by Khordis » Wed May 14, 2008 4:48 pm

SgtBilko wrote:foam noodles + wooden dowels=???
think of it as a safer version of the star wars kid video.

i knew there had to be a better purpose for those dowel rod-shaped holes in the noodles than blowing water over the fence onto my neighbors.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Wed May 14, 2008 4:51 pm

I just got my lease at the Graduate Centre finalized! So I'll see a number of you there, too! I'm still trying to find law students for 2 suites in the apartment, so if you know anyone who's looking...

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Wed May 14, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm still looking. I pm'd you.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Wed May 14, 2008 5:21 pm

SgtBilko wrote:foam noodles + wooden dowels=???
It's all the rage. You can probably expect to see my son and I sword-fighting on the green at some point.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed May 14, 2008 5:24 pm

readinmonotone wrote:So what awesome person with a ps3 and a huge TV wants to live with me next year?
I have a PS3 and will have a moderate size TV....I have 3 roommates already though....you can come visit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Wed May 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Or steal one of their identities?

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 12:14 am

Last edited by cantwaitforuva on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Thu May 15, 2008 12:21 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:I'm still excited, but I just started to freak out a little about moving to Avemore.

I keep comparing it to my place. I'm afraid I'm gonna burn the countertops or something because I'm used to putting pots and pans right on the counter (we have granite) and the controls on the Avemore stoves are on the back, so you have to reach over the stove to control them - not good. And an electric cook top? Ack!!!

I know I'm being silly, but I'm afraid Avemore is going to make my favorite hobby less enjoyable.
DEEP BREATHS :wink:

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:24 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:I'm still excited, but I just started to freak out a little about moving to Avemore.

I keep comparing it to my place. I'm afraid I'm gonna burn the countertops or something because I'm used to putting pots and pans right on the counter (we have granite) and the controls on the Avemore stoves are on the back, so you have to reach over the stove to control them - not good. And an electric cook top? Ack!!!

I know I'm being silly, but I'm afraid Avemore is going to make my favorite hobby less enjoyable.
Oh you'll be fine. I hear electric stove tops are better. For me, I never learned how to really cook well in undergrad because my roommates were slobs and everything was so dirty in our townhouse. That led to me eating out a lot but I know I won't be able to afford in law school. So I need to learn how to cook this summer. Unless you want to cook me dinner. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 12:33 am

rayallen20 wrote:
Oh you'll be fine. I hear electric stove tops are better. For me, I never learned how to really cook well in undergrad because my roommates were slobs and everything was so dirty in our townhouse. That led to me eating out a lot but I know I won't be able to afford in law school. So I need to learn how to cook this summer. Unless you want to cook me dinner. :lol:
Gas is far superior to electric.

I would be happy to teach you to cook! Seriously, I've taught quite a few friends. And I will cook you dinner if you pay for the food. :D

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Thu May 15, 2008 12:34 am

I think all the people who never cooked in ugrad should come up early and have someone teach us. It's either that or lots of sandwiches for me.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 12:38 am

readinmonotone wrote:I think all the people who never cooked in ugrad should come up early and have someone teach us. It's either that or lots of sandwiches for me.
Ok, how about I start a cooking tutorial in August. :lol:

Honestly, it is my favorite hobby and teaching someone how to do something you love is always fun.

Plus I can tell you all sorts of tips, hints, flavor pairings, and fancy french words. And my best friend says my tomato sauce is better than his mom's (and she's Italian)!!

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Thu May 15, 2008 12:38 am

Electric is superior to gas only in terms of clean-up. That is, unless you're stuck with the shitty electric burners at my school that aren't flat-tops. Gas wins because you can control the flame. I grew up w/ gas, so getting used to electric was hard. But Cantwait, it'll be fine, don't stress.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 am

sialeeds wrote:Electric is superior to gas only in terms of clean-up. That is, unless you're stuck with the shitty electric burners at my school that aren't flat-tops. Gas wins because you can control the flame. I grew up w/ gas, so getting used to electric was hard. But Cantwait, it'll be fine, don't stress.
Thanks.

And yes gas is better because you have more control over the temperature, the heat is more evenly distributed, and if the power is out you can still cook. :D

I also think gas is easier to clean than electric - the burners come off more easily.

I've lived with electric before (when I was an underclassman) and I don't like it.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 am

All you non-cooks can consider that the first lesson you've learned. :)

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Thu May 15, 2008 12:51 am

As long as I can still hard-boil my eggs and cook my pasta, I'm cool with the electric stove tops

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Thu May 15, 2008 12:52 am

Yeah but those flat-top electrics are amazing in terms of cleanup. You just just... wipe them. I think that's what the Woodlands has. Our electric burners here are IMPOSSIBLE to clean. Once something drips / falls, it's pretty much stuck, so when you heat up a burner, whatever residue burns and smokes / smells. Yuck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Thu May 15, 2008 12:54 am

All the cool places have the flat-top electrics nowadays

rayallen20

New

Post by rayallen20 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:59 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:
rayallen20 wrote:
Gas is far superior to electric.

I would be happy to teach you to cook! Seriously, I've taught quite a few friends. And I will cook you dinner if you pay for the food. :D

Sounds like a good deal to me. And yeah, definitely sign me up for the cooking lessons. I don't want to live on Frozen Dinners/Mac N' Cheese for the next three years.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 1:01 am

Yes, ceramic is better than the old electrics, but they still can't beat a gas burner IMO.

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 am

I'll certainly be jealous of your kitchen at the woodlands. I wish the rest of their apartments were a better fit for me, because granite and stainless steel would be very nice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OldBlue

New

Post by OldBlue » Thu May 15, 2008 1:57 am

yes! More at graduate center! Think of how nice it will be to roll out of bed and into class. Plus some of the suites have lofts in them. I have no idea what to do with it yet - maybe a fortress of solitude?

Gladiator we'll also have a wii - make sure your smash bros. and kart are up to snuff.

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Thu May 15, 2008 2:00 am

OldBlue wrote:yes! More at graduate center! Think of how nice it will be to roll out of bed and into class. Plus some of the suites have lofts in them. I have no idea what to do with it yet - maybe a fortress of solitude?

Gladiator we'll also have a wii - make sure your smash bros. and kart are up to snuff.
I didn't even realize the new mario kart was out. For shame. How is it?

ubuntu

Bronze

Post by ubuntu » Thu May 15, 2008 7:35 am

OldBlue wrote:yes! More at graduate center! Think of how nice it will be to roll out of bed and into class. Plus some of the suites have lofts in them. I have no idea what to do with it yet - maybe a fortress of solitude?

WE HAVE A WII?!? i am owning you all in mario kart

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu May 15, 2008 7:59 am

My PS3 only has MLB07 and NCAA Football 2008 so if you want to play something else, you'll have to buy it. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”